fresh green beans

Options
This may sound silly but i grew up with parents who bought canned veggies (if any at all). When I had my kids and moved out I bought frozen veggies (corn, pea, green beans) because its healthier then canned...but yesterday I decided to buy fresh green beans. Today im wondering wth do i do with them?! should I (or could I) freeze them to make them last longer? How long will they be good for left out? I bought almost two pounds because they were so cheap. but I dont want them to go bad before we can eat them.
is there a good way to cook them/season them? do they have to be prepped a certain way?

Replies

• beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I grew up the SAME way, so I feel you! I actually LOVE fresh green beans now. The first they you have to do is snap each end off. It is easiest if you have the bag in front of you and a bowl (or trash can) for the ends and then a colander for the green beans. I also snap them in half again to make them smaller but that is personal preference. I then basically "blanch" them in boiling well salted water for 5 minutes and enjoy! Before I would put them in a tupperware container and a few pats of butter and shake it around. Mmm. But I have cut back on them and just eat them as is now. The salted water should give them enough bite. They should be crisp but tender.

Jen
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I like mine seasoned and stir fried in olive oil or sometimes bacon grease. Not really low fat....but oh so delicious.
    Especially if you add mushrooms and onions as you sautee them.
  • beyondjupiter
    Options
    Oh and they should be good in the fridge for a few days before you cook them. I have never tried to freeze them but you will see once you break them all down 2 lbs isn't really that much. I can easily serve 2 lbs to my entire family and still have some left to snack on :)

Jen
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Saute them in some olive oil and garlic.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I love cooking them in a skillet in a little oil until they are slightly blistered. Add some sliced almonds and sriracha an you are all set. If you want to go crazy add bacon. When green beans are in season I sometimes have this for my dinner. It's so good!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    doesnt matter a s long as u are eating them
  • beyondjupiter
    Options
    This is my favorite way to have them: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/not-your-mamas-green-bean-casserole-recipe/index.html

omg the best ever!! I never use the topping though, while french's fried onions are good (these are homemade) just extra calories I don't need. I only make this for special occasions now for health reasons but my god, so good.

Jen
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i microwave canned veggies
    and once in awhile microwave frozen veggies
    boiled corn on cob is good though
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Roast them in the oven! They get even yummier!

I spray mine with olive oil spray and sprinkle on salt and pepper before roasting.
  • choochoobell
    choochoobell Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Love green beans and we eat them a lot. In fact, we sometimes use them in place of pasta. Also good in a crock pot with chicken and teriyaki sauce over brown rice. Making that on Wednesday:)
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Roasted is delicious! I also love them sauteed in a bit of sesame oil with garlic and red pepper flakes or whatever sort of hot pepper I have on hand, and sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I steam them, 20 minutes in my steamer. Blanching them works well too, like someone else mentioned. Also sautéing them in a pan with some garlic and a splash of soy sauce and honey is also really good!

I've kept them a few days in the fridge, they'll start to get some brown spots after a few days but I've even just pulled the browning ones out and cooked the rest. I wouldn't try to keep them a week though.

For freezing them I think you have to shock them in some hot water then lay them in the freezer on a cookie sheet until they're frozen, then you can put them into a bag. I've never done it, but I'm pretty sure there's no way to mess it up, once frozen you'll be pulling them out to steam or boil anyway so it doesn't matter much.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I blanche them for a few minutes then toss them in a hot fry pan with a little olive oil, garlic and a sprinkle of whatever spice blend I'm in the mood for. I toss them around a few minutes just to blister them. Yum!
  • arac62
    arac62 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    you don't really have to cut off the ends if you don't want too!! less waste!! also put them on a cookie sheet (either tossed in olive oil, or not) with some salt and pepper and put them in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 400.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Growing up, I would only eat them raw. Fresh off the vine, of course, because my dad loved his garden. Lately, I've been grilling them on the George Foreman with salt and pepper.
  • 905nik
    905nik Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Green Beans are my favourite food to eat at work. I keep a bag of them in the fridge there and at lunch time I just rinse off a handful, throw them in a Ziploc Zip 'n Steam bag with some salt and pepper, and microwave them for 3 minutes. I don't even bother taking the ends off anymore... I pick them up by the stem and just eat up to the stem. That's me being lazy and only having a half hour break though. Sometimes if I don't mind the extra calories I add a bit of coconut oil to them.
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Steam is the way to go for me! I LOVE green beans. I buy a big bag at Costco, it's probably two pounds. I live alone, and I just eat 'em daily until they are gone, so if you have a family you shouldn't have a problem at all. I do cut the ends off, some because they still have the viney bit attached but mostly because of they way they look, often a bit dried at the end. I know it won't hurt me but I feel better cutting them off! I find they do keep well enough in the fridge for a week too, so with a family you wouldn't have to eat them every meal!