Help with meal planning & goals

Options
DanaLynnMN
DanaLynnMN Posts: 192 Member
OK - just looking for some friendly advice on what everyone is doing.

First of all, I have found out that I do MUCH better when I pre-plan all my meals & snacks ahead of time. I do try to leave a couple calories open for that occasional craving - or if I don't burn as much as I plan on a workout.

I've found lately that come the end of the day, I have a LOT (couple 100 or so) calories left to eat. I need to do a better job of planning and breaking down each meal/snack calorie count. Plus, I'm feeling a little too hungry before I workout (when I get home from work in the evening), so I know I need to up my calories during the day and go easy at night.

I'm struggling with how to break down the calorie count for each meal/snack. What do you all do????

Then, the second thing I'm struggling with is finding the right balance of Carbs, Fat & Protien. I've tried all sorts of adjustments to my goals, and I still always seem to go over or be way under at least one of them. I think I need to be getting in more protien, but I'm struggling with that a little.

What are your ratios? And/or, do I really need to worry about these sooo much? I mean, I am doing a much better job with making healthy food choices and portion control. If I focus on getting to my CALORIE goal....by eating healthier...is that enough???

Replies

• DanaLynnMN
    Options
    Anyone?
  • DanaLynnMN
    Options
    No replies?? Come on people...I know you have opinions and suggestions!! :happy:
    Lay 'em on me!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your goals currently are, but I would suggest making sure you're getting enough protein in. 1 gram per pound of body weight is a good guideline. I have mine set at 30% protein, so I get in about 130g a day if I'm doing it right. I do 45% carbs, 25% fat. Seems to work alright for me. As far as planning out the day, I have a moderately high protein, high fiber breakfast, then do 30g of protein at least in my lunch / dinner / after workout meals.

Just worry about meeting your fat / protein macros, and if you have calories left over - buy yourself some ice cream. It's what I do, in case I happen to burn a lot of extra calories working out, I can treat myself. :)
  • DanaLynnMN
    Options
    Thanks for the feed back.

I am currently set at 45% Carbs, 30% Protein & 25% Fat. If I use your calculation of 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, I'd need to eat 207g of Protein - when I went into my goals to see what % that would be I about gagged...65%. OUCH. I don't think I can eat that much protein.

I am going to start adding a protein shake into my day to help get me closer to my protein goal.
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I usually write out my dinner menus for a week at a time, then do my grocery shopping for the week based off that. I have two teenage kids who definitely do not need to diet, so rather than cook two separate meals, I try to make one meal and make it in a way we can all eat it and be happy. Once I know what my dinners will be, I start building the rest of each day around that. So if I'm having pasta for dinner, I usually go lighter on the carbs during the work day. If I'm having beef for dinner, I go lighter on the protein during the day. I do breakfast, a snack, lunch, a snack, dinner, and a snack, so that I'm essentially grazing all day. The snacks are almost always 100 calories each. Breakfast is usually 250-300 a day, lunch is about the same, and then dinner makes up the rest. I don't really follow a ratio, but when I look at my daily menu on paper, if it seems light on fruits and veggies, I increase that and decrease something else, and the same goes for carbs and protein as well. I don't really use butter or salt anymore, and only minimal oil if I need it to cook. Good luck!

Oh, and I'm down 11 lbs since I started on April 8th so something is working.
  • nobbta
    nobbta Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you have those calories left at night have some yoghurt.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feed back.

I am currently set at 45% Carbs, 30% Protein & 25% Fat. If I use your calculation of 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, I'd need to eat 207g of Protein - when I went into my goals to see what % that would be I about gagged...65%. OUCH. I don't think I can eat that much protein.

I am going to start adding a protein shake into my day to help get me closer to my protein goal.

Ah - I think what I should have said is you should base the protein on what your GOAL weight will be. Might be easier for you, then.
  • 905nik
    905nik Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When you have a lot of weight to lose, I think you really just need to make sure you are making healthier choices and staying within your calorie goals. For a lot of people, going crazy with it and being too strict and regimented may just lead to failure. You would know yourself best though. I make sure that I am eating lots of fruits and vegetables, that I eat every three hours, that I stay under my calorie goals for the day, and that I'm eating good enough foods that I'm not hungry while staying within my calorie goals.

I think as long as you're doing that, the rest of the numbers really aren't a super big deal unless you are way over or way under on a regular basis.

Eventually you want to smooth everything out and perfect your eating habits, but when you're over 200lbs and unhealthy, getting healthier and losing weight and STICKING TO IT is way more important than eating perfectly.