Who prefers to workout at home?

Options

Replies

• fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I do everything at home. I have slowly built myself an awesome little gym over the past year and have no reason to a gym...nor have I ever wanted to. I like to workout in he privacy of my own home and have my own schedule.
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I prefer working at home, I think it stems from my naturally shy and lack of self-confidence. I have never felt comfortable with the idea of working out in a place as public as the gym, hopefully in the future I'll gain the confidence. But for now I've been doing great at home! =)
  • greattimes
    greattimes Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. Bought my own equipment. It works better for me as I work out before work. I don't have to drive all the way into town and come home and get ready for work. The only thing I miss is advice on what I should be working on at this point and how to tone certain areas.
  • chaser1977
    chaser1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I workout at home. The gym wasn't in my budget when I first started, 3 years ago.
    Now, I just prefer it. Plus, I have a pretty badass collection of equipment that I am continually adding to.

Same here just not the 3 years. In the last year only been to local gym twice. Also I workout in my underwear, my wife tells me thats not ok at the gym, so I stay at home. ;)
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I mainly workout at home...haven't convinced myself to join a gym just yet. :smile:

8488541.png
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Me too! There are so many videos and routines available that make it easy (currently doing Les mills pump~and loving it). My husband is into heavy lifting so I am lucky enough to have access to a leg press, squat rack and sevral bars and benches not to mention the starter piece york 2001 lol. I have been able to amass a small set of free weights shopping in second hand stores, they are gilry weight according to my man but are a great place to start. ~ we have a treadmill as well.
    Who needs the gym!
    We bought everything second hand and cheap and he avidly researches workouts and techniques and has learned alot about what does and doesnt work. We have the space to make it all possible.
    But what I like best is no one is watching! No one makes me feel inept. Its all at my pace. Its never crowded and its open 24-7. No annual fee. etc...

Always open to reviews on different commercial programs and what works for others. Next up I am going to look into new rules of lifting for women.

Good luck with however you are approaching this in the sanctuary that is Your gym
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm doing a bodyweight circuit at home, to build some better stability before I "look" at the gym again.

I don't have a problem with the gym though, I actually use to go all the time. Can be very annoying when a 30 minute workout takes 1hr + cause you have to wait forever to get on the stations you need.

I'm thinking of buying my own squat rack because of it and forgoing the gym altogether, currently shopping around at local places to try to get an idea of what the "population" is at them.

I'm adding a squat rack to my collection this weekend. I'm extremely excited about it!
  • jesscb55
    jesscb55 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started my fitness pal about 2 weeks ago. I prefer at home BUT i have to really motivate myself to actually do it. I go to a personal trainer at H2 in berkeley 1-2 times a week which helps me motivate to do it at home because she shows me excercises i can do on my own. And it's cheaper!
  • carlielove
    carlielove Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I loved going to the gym for a while, but now that the weather's nice, it took everything in me to drag myself there today. Oh well, I have weights at home and a nice trail right outside of my house to run on c:
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I hated the gym with a passion. I love working out at home. Sometimes I just go "off book" and just dance around my living room (which, according to my HRM, can actually blast some serious calories.)

I can also wear my decade-old drawstring pants with the hole in the crotch and no one gives me side eye. Win win!

CHEERS to that! :bigsmile:
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i do i do yput ube and on demand exercise videos, exercise bike,
    dancing, and go outside and walk for an hour, jogging in place. lots of stuff
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    About 5 years ago I belonged to a gym. I really liked the gym because it had a pool that I loved to use. I quit, it was to far out of way to go there multiple times a week. So, when contract was up, I didn't renew it. If a gym was built closer to my house that had a pool, I could definitely be interested in it.
    But, now I work out at home or with the weather getting nicer, I love to walk outside.
  • KaleeCat
    KaleeCat Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    At home and outdoors if at all possible! Whether riding bike or taking a walk/jog around the lake, I love going outside :) I participate in a Zumba class once a week with my friends but that's the most k ever go to the gym!
  • kcatlin9
    kcatlin9 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I do. I have a Nordic Track treadmill that I got as a refurb through Sears Outlet for about 60% off. I also have a Bowflex. I sometimes run outside.

I have a whole home DVR through Directv so I record my shows and watch them while working out. Having my shows to watch helps.

With 2 busy kids and work, I often don't work out until 10:30pm...like I'm about to tonight. Having to squeeze in the workouts, it is convenient to just go downstairs.

In the long run (no pun intended), cheaper than a gym membership.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I'm reclusive, so home....

Also, I hate driving to gyms, I hate waiting for weights, waiting for dudes curling in the squat rack, etc.
    I've been working out to Beachbody stuff for awhile now. No problems there.

A win win.
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    I love working out at home :bigsmile:
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to make the switch to working out at home, for budget reasons, but I find it hard to stay motivated sometimes :(. I get distracted a lot while at home.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    LOVE working out at home! I can look positively certifiable and no one gives a hoot. :-)
    I enjoyed the gym when I lived in a major city and it was within walking distance of my workplace, but I now live in a quasi-rural area. My local gym has no showers and no locker rooms (you change in the bathroom). Not a good motivator in Florida during the summer! At home I have everything I need within arm's reach, there are no distracting TVs, no competition with music on the PA system, and no, er, dress requirements. I've got a mini-bike, mini-stepper, manual treadmill, and free weights with bench, all in my home office.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    That's what I am doing. I much rather prefer getting down to just a bra, booty shorts, and tennis shoes and getting a good workout in! :P

I don't think anyone would mind if you wore that to the public gym, but you might after the meatheads leer at you for a while.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    *Raises hand*

Home workouts are the best. No lines, no people sweating all over the equipment, no creepy guy sliding into the machine right next to you when there's a whole gym of open space, and best of all - no locker rooms.