A 5lb weight fluctuation from a few hot dogs?! Wow

Options
Wow. I weighed myself before eating and I was 237 lbs so I figured I'd eat just enough to stay at my maintenance calories for the day since I got so much exercise. I ate a few Costco Kirkland brand hot dogs and damnnnnn. I know I shouldn't be worrying myself over weight fluctuations but damnnnnn. I used to be obsessive about checking my weight and never saw this kind of gain after only a few dogs. Eventually my weight (I call it "after eating puffiness") went back down to 238. But still. I didn't eat 5lbs worth of food or drink enough to account for that much weight. Medically, can someone explain where this weight comes from? I think after seeing that first weight, it shocked me enough to where I'm only weighing myself every few days. What if I weigh myself tomorrow and I'm 500? Ahhhh

qvJnLEa.jpg

Apparently I don't know how to embed images

Replies

• megge6537
    megge6537 Posts: 10
    Options
    They are loaded with salt, which will cause your body to retain water.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I weigh almost obsessively, sometimes more than once a day, with a high end digital scale. I see all the ups and downs and get a better feel for where I am really at. I saw some swings like that early in my current weight loss journey. Salt is a big part of it. So is "slowing down the conveyor" so that there is more stuff in transit in your digestive system.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Sodium, it'll be gone in a day or two.
  • momstewart2002
    Options
    I doubt that it's actual fat that your seeing. I got so upset after loosing 20 lbs when I weighed myself again I'd gained 8 lbs in 2 weeks. I do not drink pop and I only eat 1200 calories. I have 4 kids too so it's not like I just sit around all day either. I began looking into it and read somewhere that in order for those lbs to be from fat I would have to eaten an extra 28,000 calories a day, which I imagine would likely land someone in the ER! Now those 8 lbs are gone and I'm still losing! If I had to guess, it's just water weight.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    They are loaded with salt, which will cause your body to retain water.

this