Converting from meat to vegetarian..Where/how to start?

Options
So I'm seriously considering being a vegetarian or a pescetarian, but I'm sure where to start. I've enjoyed meat all my life but I've always wanted to try to become a vegetarian. My parents (no, I'm not 20, I'm 18), however, aren't on par with me and continue to make meat filled foods. Even our green beans have bacon.

I just want to do this for me, but I'm not sure how to adapt. When I started weight loss, I didn't really "ween" myself into it, I just jumped into it. How can I go from "pro steak" to "pro tofurky?" I'm not big on fish, but I love sushi, hence why I consider "pescetarian." I don't drink milk, but I do eat cheese and eggs and stuff.

I'm also doing this for college, too, I think. I don't want to gain the freshman 15 or whatever. I want the freshman negative 25.

Thank you all so much

**This is also in another forum**

Replies

• MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Hi, I eat a Pescatarian style with no dairy (allergic). Feel free to friend me (my diary is open).
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Wait, so you enjoy meat, but want to be vegetarian? Why? I'm assuming that because you didn't list any moral reservations to eating meat that you are just worried about gaining weight? Meat is not responsible for the "Freshman 15". A surplus of calories from cheap beer binges and pizza benders are what is responsible for it.

Nothing wrong with cutting back a little on meat (most Americans eat way too much, anyways, of which I am often guilty too) but you can have a perfectly healthy diet and get that "Negative Freshman 25" on a full diet of meats, fresh produce, moderate dairy and whole grains.
  • ChristineH1001
    Options
    Hi
    Take a look at HappyHerbivore.com and they also have a group on here. You can friend me I am totally Plant based.
    Have a wonderful transition, it's easier than you think and healthy!!
    :happy:
  • Gmtribble90
    Gmtribble90 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but was once on a diet that was vegetarian. Now, I eat meat, but also have my meals that are vegetarian. A really easy start to cut meat is to wean yourself off slowly. Instead of having bacon, sausage, ham, etc with your breakfast, you can simply try an omelette with cheese and spinach, perhaps some guacamole on top (optional) or maybe some awesome oatmeal (my new favorite is Rachael Ray's oatmeal that you can buy at Walmart). For lunch or dinner, you can try something simple like a grilled cheese with tomato slices or a nice vegetarian soup (I tend to lean towards low-sodium options, such as Amy's Light in Sodium Lentil Vegetable). If you have that craving for meat, you can try the meat substitutes.

Hope this helps!
  • carlielove
    carlielove Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just jumped in and cut it out, but I've never been a fan of meat in the first place, so I only had a few foods to cut out. One of my friends recently switched, and she just replaced her favorite foods with vegetarian alternatives.
  • dlbaron
    dlbaron Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I personally eased into vegetarianism over a few years. First I stopped eating red meat, stopped eating poultry a year or two later, and then stopped eating fish and shellfish a year or two after that. I have since started eating fish again occasionally for the protein, omega-3s, and because it's so good. I also love sushi =]

I was only 11 when I stopped eating red meat mostly for animal rights reasons, and at the time the rest of my family all still ate meat. I would eat side dishes my mom made like veggies or grains and usually make myself a Boca burger or something. If your family is really not willing to change their diet at all, it might make it harder, but it is still definitely possible for you to go veg! Some easy things to make are big salads with a yummy dressing and some protein. I usually throw in beans or tofu and sometimes cheese. I love tofu now, so I will just cube it and throw it in my salad raw, but if you aren't used to the texture I think it can take some time to learn to enjoy it. If you press it (wrap it in a paper towel or clean dishcloth then put a weight on it like a book or something) and then marinate it, it will absorb the flavors of any marinade. Since you like sushi you could try an asian marinade- a basic one would be soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and if you like it spicy, some sriracha or cayenne. Then you can make stir-fries with it or put it on top of salads-- Makoto ginger dressing is delicious for an asian style salad!

College cafeterias have become increasingly vegetarian friendly, so I'm sure you can stick to a veggie diet there if you really want to commit to it! I am in college but now live in an apartment, so I usually cook single portions for myself. If you are living somewhere with a kitchen, it helps to make a big batch of something early in the week (Sunday afternoons when you're avoiding homework are perfect haha) then serve yourself individual portions of it on weekdays when you're busy. My favorite things to make big batches of are stuff with spices so the flavors meld as they sit in the fridge and get better over the week. Good examples are Indian dals, chickpea, or veggie curries, filling soups, and grain salads like tabouleh or quinoa with nuts, beans, different veggies, fresh herbs, nuts, fruit (dried or fresh) anything you like to throw in!

Feel free to add me! My diary is also open and I have plenty of recipes and meal ideas if you want more!
  • lindsaymayer121
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for about 3 months now and I am loving it. I feel better than ever! I would definitely have a purpose for switching though -- that way when you first start and you get cravings for meat, you have motivation to stick with it! I honestly had no problem making a full switch because I didn't eat that much meat anyway compared to many other people, but for most people it is advisable to start slowly. Start slow, like with veggie burgers (if that's your thing, Morningstar are pretty good unless you're concerned about gluten, which they have), or try removing meat from all of your meals for two or three days out of the week, gradually working up to the full week! But if you're like me and already eat lots of fruits and veggies (i.e., you're not eating a traditional American high-fat, high-calorie, high sodium diet) then you should be fine just diving right in! You may have to take a multivitamin to support your calcium if you don't consume much dairy, and keeping your iron level up is important for vegetarians. Some people have done it with food though. But yeah, you can add me, and check out my diary! Feel free to ask any questions :)
  • massivediet
    massivediet Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Try it if you want to!

I grew up vegetarian and still eat mostly vegetarian meals, though I include all types of meat in my diet when the mood hits me. If you're trying to ease yourself into it, a good Indian cookbook would be a good investment because most of the foods are tasty and hearty but meat-free. You might even win over your parents with a mattar paneer!

I also like the garden burger and Morningstar farms products, and the Greek yogurt of course. You might find that you're able to indulge in higher calorie fruits and vegetables more often if you cut meat (e.g. Avacado, bananas) as well as nuts--all quite nutritious.
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I wont comment on the vegetarianism, as I have no experience to speak from.

But, I am a college student. And I can say first hand that the freshman 15 creeps up when you're focused on class, assignments and exams. My top recommendations are to eat as many veggies as possible, avoid fried fast food like the plague, drink lots of water and limit alcohol consumption. From my experience, between myself and watching my friends, the easy food options on campus and alcohol are the culprits. And the lack of movement from spending countless hours behind a desk all day every day.

When I decided to fight back against the freshman 15, I resolved to drink as much water as possible, try to pack lunches, or eat the healthier options on campus, found a gym buddy, joined a yoga class (student discounts are awesome!) and limit alcohol to birthdays and post exam/project celebrations. Hopefully this does not add to the stress of school, and allows me to lose some weight.

Feel free to message me if you want further advice on the freshman 15 dilemma!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 17-18 years. I eat fish occasionally now, though, but still mostly veggie. If you want to give up meat because you are worried about gaining weight, don't. I know a lot of people who decided to become vegetarians and ended up gaining weight. It's really easy to eat unhealthy when you don't eat meat, believe it or not. People end up eating way too much cheese and bread/pasta/carbs!

I personally love veggie sandwiches and wraps. There are so many different varieties and ways to make them. I could eat them every day and feel like it's something completely different each time. I agree with everyone on the Morningstar Farms veggie burgers, those are my favorite brand. The spicy black bean ones are awesome. Had one tonight on a whole grain sandwich thin with some cheddar jack, avocado slices, lettuce, onion and salsa. Black bean burgers are relatively easy to make homemade, too.

I also make pasta salads a lot. Use whole wheat or veggie pasta, and load it with fresh vegetables and some feta or Parmesan, and a good vinaigrette. It's good to make a bunch and have quick easy meals through out the week.

Beans, nuts, greek yogurt, eggs and soy are all good ways to get protein if you don't eat meat. Just make sure you get enough protein!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Unless you are doing this for ethical reasons, I would suggest you are better simply varying your diet as much as possible and having all things in moderation, so a little meat, some grains, fruits, veggies, some dairy, nuts, seeds, eggs etc. Alternate vegetarian meals, fish meals and meat meals, and just aim to get as much variety in as possible. That way you can ensure you are getting a decent mix of nutrients and not eating too much of any one thing.
  • Kellyanne822
    Kellyanne822 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I am a relatively new veggie as well. I had thought about it for a while and spent a lot of time educating myself on why I want to be a vegetarian. I have several strong reasons as to why I want to live this way and there is no chance of me ever turning back. Make sure you have a strong foundation. I spent about a month easing into the transition. Concentrate on non-meat foods that you already love and learn to cook meals centered around those things. So for example, I LOVE tacos! So instead of beef or chicken tacos, now we make bean and rice tacos. Try to add new things to your diet gradually to discover new foods you love! Good luck and have fun with it! (you can add me if you'd like)
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't rec.going vegetarian as a way to lose weight or keep from gaining weight, its not effective in that sense.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    You could start by just eating more vegetarian meals but still have some meals that have meat in them with your parents. Or, you could offer to start doing the cooking and make vegetarian stuff. I've been vegetarian for 13 years now but no one else in my family is. I cook for my brother and my boyfriend a lot and I'll make them their own meals and cook vegetarian stuff for myself.
  • xxTracey
    xxTracey Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm not becoming a vegetarian. I don't any red meat though but its purely because i don't like it and never have but just bumping in because i would like to incorporate more veggies into my diet, have recently started eating veggie burgers when we decide to go out for lunch at college and to be honest in some ways i prefer them to the chicken burger because i dont feel so sluggish wen i go back to class so just looking for extra veggie tips! :) xx
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Been a vegetarian/pescetarian a long time, feel free to add me! :)

Whether you go cold turkey or slowly ease into it is up to you. For me, and most people I know that went veg, we did the slow route. Stopped eating red meat, then later pork, then later poultry. You may even decide that you want to cut out red meat/pork but keep chicken/fish. Or just eat more veggie meals or versions of things.

To make the transition, you'll definately have to start cooking more on your own. I had no clue when I started, but over the years picked up a lot and i love cooking now. Start with some simple things (bean chilis, pasta salad, stir frys)... and while i don't advocate overdoing it on them, the soy "meats" and veggie burgers help a lot in the beginning!

I sense you are doing it for health/weight loss reasons more than ethical ones, so just bear in mind, vegetarians still gain weight and have trouble losing it too (or i wouldn't be here haha). You still have to be just as diligent to make smart food choices, especially if you are out. Its very, very easy to compensate for meat by overdoing it on carbs (like pizza & pastas!) & dairy.

good luck!
  • sdubya04
    sdubya04 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian! Feel free to add me! My diary is open, too. But I eat almost the same thing every day. I love cottage cheese, beans and protein bars. I get plenty of protein.
    But I HATE meat so it was easy for me. All flesh-white, red, dark. It's disgusting to me. I do eat salmon though and some seafood.
    and I LOVE salad.
    As far as the freshman 15..just keep active, make mindful decisions on the food choices and keep mindful of your weight and you'll do fine!
    Good luck!
    Sara
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    So I'm seriously considering being a vegetarian or a pescetarian, but I'm sure where to start. I've enjoyed meat all my life but I've always wanted to try to become a vegetarian. My parents (no, I'm not 20, I'm 18), however, aren't on par with me and continue to make meat filled foods. Even our green beans have bacon.

I just want to do this for me, but I'm not sure how to adapt. When I started weight loss, I didn't really "ween" myself into it, I just jumped into it. How can I go from "pro steak" to "pro tofurky?" I'm not big on fish, but I love sushi, hence why I consider "pescetarian." I don't drink milk, but I do eat cheese and eggs and stuff.

I'm also doing this for college, too, I think. I don't want to gain the freshman 15 or whatever. I want the freshman negative 25.

Thank you all so much

**This is also in another forum**

My diet is mostly vegetarian (I eat a little fish). My diet base is brown rice and lentils (or adzuki, black beans, or other beans). Beans have tons of protein. I always make the MFP protein requirements or go over. I use lentils most of the time because I don't have to soak them and they cook in about 30 minutes. I do eat a few eggs, but generally don't drink milk or eat cheese. I also don't have recipes -- just lentils and brown rice and add some veggies.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions and ideas already. I've been a veg/pesc for 8 years now. For multiple reasons beef, chicken, and pork have no appeal as a food. But salmon? Yum.

It seems to me you might shoot for being a "meat minimizer" rather than a full fledged veg/pesc at this point. Reducing the amount of meat you eat still reduces the environmental impact and improves animal welfare and you'll be reducing your consumption of antibiotics as well. (70% of the antibiotics produced in the US are used on livestock). Reducing the number of days or meals in which you have meat will give you a sense as to whether veg/pesc is a good fit for you.

Best wishes!