What am I doing wrong?!?!?!

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    3. Work out some basic macros. Aim for around 2 x BW or 2 x LBM in grams of protein per day. Aim for a min fat requirement (mostly healthy ok) of about 0.8g per kg BW or LBM. You can set it at your current BW or use your target BW. That works for a lot of people. The rest is carbs. These are not hard and fast numbers. Just guidelines.

That's a lot of fat/protein. I've always seen 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM and .35 grams of fat per pound of body weight. I'm curious where these recommendations are from?
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Wow! I think I'd have to sit down and really understand exactly what you're saying haha. It said my TDEE is 2564, so I should really be eating above 2000 calories a day?!

Your TDEE is your total energy expenditure for the day. So if you ate 2564 a day you wouldn't lose or gain weight but if you ate 2000 a day you should lose a lb a week

one thing to keep in mind is that as you lose weight, your TDEE will change, it will get lower. You will want to revisit this number every once in a while and adjust accordingly.
  • nykkat
    nykkat Posts: 30
    Options
    Measuring is so inconvenient! How do I measure when I'm in a restaurant?

if you dont know your portions, then your logging will be off. you have to know your portions. guessing will not be accurate. i hate measuring too, but i found out that by measuring, i was over estimating by double most of the time.

do i literally bring measuring utensils to the restaurant?

How often do you eat out? Making your own food at home is really going to be the only way to get an accurate calorie count. Restaurant calories are going to be estimates. Better than nothing, but in no way precise.

I'm still living at home and my mom takes eating dinner together very seriously. Unfortunately, 3 days a week we either order or go out. It's a terrible habit, and I should probably make it a goal to cook my own dinners.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    dont expect overnight results
    strenth training wont help u lose weight
    work out everyday for 60 minutes
    stay under calories

working out every day for an hour is just not realistic for me! And I know enough to know that strength training builds muscle which helps burn calories!

It's not at all necessary to work out for an hour a day. And strength training WILL help you lose weight as muscles help you burn more calories. it also helps shape your body so you look thinner than you are.

Although you won't gain a lot of muscle in a deficit (just some newbie gains) you do want to preserve the muscle you have while you're eating at a deficit. I lift weights 3 times per week for about 45 minutes, and I try to get some cardio, although it's not much (usually about an hour per week).
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I am calling you out on your excuses. I cant sugar coat this because it sounds like excuses.

Measuring is to inconvenient? You are signed up on a calorie counting fitness website. Seriously? There is nothing inconvenient about making sure the food that goes into your body is accurately accounted for IF YOU WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT. If you want to stay the same or gain weight, eat the way you want and see what happens.

Working out for an hour a day is not possible? You said you live in New York. Briskly walk the last mile home from your job and you can burn 100ish cals. Should only take you an extra 15 mins or so. Build up to walking 2 miles, then 3 miles and soon enough you are walking home from work for an hour. And burning cals along the way. I am not saying you should workout every day but you should be able to work in enough cals burned to meet you goal.

Now for the supportive part: you can do this but be patient. Weight loss takes time just like gaining it took time. Be true to yourself and your log and you will reach your goal.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I'm still living at home and my mom takes eating dinner together very seriously. Unfortunately, 3 days a week we either order or go out. It's a terrible habit, and I should probably make it a goal to cook my own dinners.

You will be much more successful making your own food at home. That's not to say you can't go out, just it will make things harder.
  • nykkat
    Options

You will be much more successful making your own food at home. That's not to say you can't go out, just it will make things harder.

Oh definitely. I need some good recipes that are simple, healthy and filling. And simple.
  • massivediet
    massivediet Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don't know if the one day posted is representative of what you usually eat, but it looks like my first days on MFP. You went over by 350 calories, nearly all of which you could account for with the honey, coffee sweetener, sweetener in the yogurt, and frozen sweetened yogurt. I have a sweet tooth too! I had to drastically cut my sugar in order to stay within my calorie goal. There's nothing wrong with having the sugar if you have the calories to spare, but if you have trouble, cutting those sweets would probably be easier than you think. They don't satisfy nutritional requirements, and if you're like me, eating a little just makes you want more.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not open. Try it again.

What about now?

Based on just today, I am seeing a lot of processed and ready-made foods. Why not make that sub sandwich at home with fresh ingredients? Subway is a much better choice than, say, Burger King, but is still lacking in many departments. Where are the fresh vegetables? Fresh fruit? I'm assuming living in NYC it is easier to go out to eat, but I am telling you, if you can break that habit and start cooking for yourself at least 80% of the time and make going out to eat a very rare treat, you will see the weight start melting off. That's what did it for me; all I had to do to get things rolling was stop eating out so much.
  • nykkat
    Options
    I don't know if the one day posted is representative of what you usually eat, but it looks like my first days on MFP. You went over by 350 calories, nearly all of which you could account for with the honey, coffee sweetener, sweetener in the yogurt, and frozen sweetened yogurt. I have a sweet tooth too! I had to drastically cut my sugar in order to stay within my calorie goal. There's nothing wrong with having the sugar if you have the calories to spare, but if you have trouble, cutting those sweets would probably be easier than you think. They don't satisfy nutritional requirements, and if you're like me, eating a little just makes you want more.

Haha I definitely have a sweet tooth, and I didn't even realize it until reading over my MFP food diary today. However, most days aren't always like this,
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    lmao! Yea give it two days...
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    consistency.
  • flutterbye811
    flutterbye811 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com

eatingwell.com

cookinglight.com

all of these sites list calorie counts, offer meals that are only made with a few ingredients and pretty much anyone can find something they like. Get your parents to realize your journey, maybe start cooking together as a family and then eating the meal together....seriously, no matter your size EVERYONE (including your family) can benefit from healthy eating.
  • nykkat
    Options
    skinnytaste.com

eatingwell.com

cookinglight.com

all of these sites list calorie counts, offer meals that are only made with a few ingredients and pretty much anyone can find something they like. Get your parents to realize your journey, maybe start cooking together as a family and then eating the meal together....seriously, no matter your size EVERYONE (including your family) can benefit from healthy eating.

Thank you so much! I will cook one of these this week! Gotta start out somewhere, right?!
  • flutterbye811
    flutterbye811 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com

eatingwell.com

cookinglight.com

Thank you so much! I will cook one of these this week! Gotta start out somewhere, right?!

You're welcome! You really can make anything healthy.... desserts, comfort foods, there are lots of recipes that can work for you and will become a staple on your journey :) Good luck!!
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Why not suggest to your family that you replace one "eating out" night a week with a night where you cook a healthy meal for everyone? Then maybe move to more of these nights, and encouraging other family members to cook healthier stuff too. You could save the money from eating out for a family holiday, or big day out somewhere fun.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    strenth training wont help u lose weight
    work out everyday for 60 minutes

This is horrible advice.

Strength training 3 days a week WILL absolutely help you lose fat and build lean muscle. Do not work out every day! Your body needs rest. Strength train 3x a week, eat right and get plenty of rest. That's the best formula for healthy weight loss.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Measuring is so inconvenient! How do I measure when I'm in a restaurant?

Stop eating at restaurants. Make your own food, know what you are eating.

If you are serious about weight loss you will need to do some lifestyle changes. You need to proactively make responsible choices.

If you must eat at a restaurant, know what they are feeding you and watch your portions.
  • Crumleygirl
    Crumleygirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've noticed recently the "good tasting" snacks are the killer ones. Two hundred calories each, ridiculous. It's ok to have one but either schedule it in or try to do one or less a day. Plus you'll save tons of money if you but starbucks and TCBY a lot. I recommend a smartphone if possible and prelogging your food and looking it up in the app. if possible.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Is your GW realistic? It's not the best picture to determine this, but it doesn't seem like you have any extra 25 pounds to lose...(not that scale weight is that great of a metric anyhow).