too many carbs?

Options
standoug888
standoug888 Posts: 126 Member
is eating around 150 grams of carbs a day bad? im usally eating 40-50% of my diet in carbs is that bad for belly fat?

Replies

• melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates Recommended Per Day
    There are two answers. One answer is for those who wish to lose weight and one answer is for those who do not wish to lose weight. Here are both answers:

FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT

If you are trying to lose body fat, 20-70 grams of carbs per day are recommended, depending on your level of activity. For the list of 'fat burning' foods that are low carbohydrate foods, and the list of foods that speed up metabolism, which are also low carbohydrate foods, see the page links, further down this page, listed in the Sources and Related Links section.

FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT

If you are not trying to lose body fat, 180-230 grams are sometimes recommended. Please note, however, that unlike protein or fat there is no minimum daily requirement of carbohydrate for good health or to sustain life. For free fruit and vegetable Counting Carbohydrate Charts for weight maintenance (or weight loss), see the page links, further down this page, listed in the Sources and Related Links section.

IMPORTANT HEALTH ADVICE FOR BOTH GROUPS

However, for the sake of good health, irrespective of whether you want to lose weight, maintain weight, or gain weight, strictly limit (apart from the occasional treat) refined processed carbohydrates. If you are unsure what refined processed carbohydrates are, you will find a list, further down this page, under Sources and Related Links. As deliciously addictive as refined processed carbohydrates can be, they are a major cause of many diet related diseases. The diseases, often referred to as diseases of Western civilization, such as obesity, hypertension, diabetes, dental caries, heart disease, and others, became pervasive in the twentieth century primarily because of our high consumption of refined processed carbohydrates. For a list of refined processed carbohydrates, see the page link, further down this page, in the Sources and Related Links section.

WikiAnswers contributors now weigh in and add to the above advice:

It is a scientific fact that the human body does not require any carbs (carbohydrates) at all. Your body can get all the sugars it needs from other food groups such as proteins. however, if you require energy quickly, carbohydrates are a great source of energy as the body can break them down into simple sugars (glucose).

For weight loss I have 13 grams per day. The first stage of the Atkins diet is only 10 grams per day.

I have only 20 grams per day because that keeps me healthy and fit. Some people can tolerate more carbs than others. I cannot eat more carbs than that.

If you are NOT wanting to lose weight, the number of carbs you can consume on a daily basis may be judged on your daily calorie intake. For a person who is just doing a regular amount of activity (taking in 1,600-2,200 calories), carbohydrate intake is more (around 65%), whereas fat intake is lower (20%). But if the person has a higher calorie intake (e.g., 3,000-4,000, as in someone who does long-distance running, etc.) the person will need less carbohydrates (55%) and more fats (30%). There isn't a raw number of carbohydrates to intake because the amount of exercise a person does depends essentially on how active they are overall. For athletes, the most important carbohydrate is the complex ones such as oats, fruits, vegetables... anything with fiber. But you have to watch out: carbohydrates are easily over-consumed, especially refined processed carbohydrates.

If you are NOT aiming for weight loss, the amount of any food per day is subjective to age, health conditions, physical activity. There are many other minor factors that may determine the amount of calories and carbs that a person needs. So, based on the law of individualism, each individual is unique and their needs are different. It can depend on how many calories/day diet you maintain. 45% of your daily intake should be carbs. On a 1,600-calories-a-day diet, 720 calories should come from carbs. Or about 180 grams. The important thing is what KIND of carbs. You should strictly limit refined processed carbohydrates. Replace those food with more fat burning foods.

For good health, or for weight loss, or weight maintenance, strictly limit refined (processed) carbohydrates (apart from occasional treats). Refined processed carbohydrates are a major cause of weight gain, obesity, diabetes type 2, and many other diet related diseases. If you are unsure what these foods are, there is the list further down this page, under Sources and Related Links.

Do not eat white bread, white pasta, white potatoes, or white rice. These foods are VERY high glycemic and will spike your blood sugar, which will make you hungry again much quicker. Add fiber to your diet (which you will automatically do if you switch to whole grain carbs) and eat 5-6 small "meals" during the day instead of 3 big meals. You will never be hungry and will shed pounds like mad. For more details, look for Dr. Ray Strand's book "Releasing Fat." It is excellent.

SUMMARY:

For those who ARE aiming for weight loss:

Unlike protein and fats, there is no minimum daily requirement of carbs in order to flourish physically. However, if you need to lose body fat there is a maximum recommendation.

So, for the free lists, charts and plans to show you the way:

1. List of refined carbohydrates (to avoid or strictly limit),
    2. The 15 fat burning foods (to replace refined processed carbohydrates),
    3. The low carbohydrate foods that speed up metabolism,
    4. How to use low carbohydrate foods and diet,
    5. Counting carbohydrates in fruit chart - free chart for daily use for either weight loss or weight maintenance,
    6. Counting carbohydrates in vegetables - free chart for daily use for either weight loss or weight maintenance,

see the page links, further down this page, listed in the Sources and Related Links section. You need to be signed in to Answers.com to view the Sources and Related Links section. If you are not yet a member of our friendly community it's quick and easy to join and everything is free.
    -
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Generally when you copy and paste it is a good idea to at least link the source....

Wow, you are on a super low calorie intake for a guy.

I have a higher calorie goal than you and eat more. 150g is fine. Too many calories make you gain weight, not too many carbs.
    I stay around 40% and have had no issues.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates Recommended Per Day
    There are two answers. One answer is for those who wish to lose weight and one answer is for those who do not wish to lose weight. Here are both answers:

FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT

If you are trying to lose body fat, 20-70 grams of carbs per day are recommended, depending on your level of activity. For the list of 'fat burning' foods that are low carbohydrate foods, and the list of foods that speed up metabolism, which are also low carbohydrate foods, see the page links, further down this page, listed in the Sources and Related Links section.

FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT

If you are not trying to lose body fat, 180-230 grams are sometimes recommended. Please note, however, that unlike protein or fat there is no minimum daily requirement of carbohydrate for good health or to sustain life. For free fruit and vegetable Counting Carbohydrate Charts for weight maintenance (or weight loss), see the page links, further down this page, listed in the Sources and Related Links section.

IMPORTANT HEALTH ADVICE FOR BOTH GROUPS

However, for the sake of good health, irrespective of whether you want to lose weight, maintain weight, or gain weight, strictly limit (apart from the occasional treat) refined processed carbohydrates. If you are unsure what refined processed carbohydrates are, you will find a list, further down this page, under Sources and Related Links. As deliciously addictive as refined processed carbohydrates can be, they are a major cause of many diet related diseases. The diseases, often referred to as diseases of Western civilization, such as obesity, hypertension, diabetes, dental caries, heart disease, and others, became pervasive in the twentieth century primarily because of our high consumption of refined processed carbohydrates. For a list of refined processed carbohydrates, see the page link, further down this page, in the Sources and Related Links section.

WikiAnswers contributors now weigh in and add to the above advice:

It is a scientific fact that the human body does not require any carbs (carbohydrates) at all. Your body can get all the sugars it needs from other food groups such as proteins. however, if you require energy quickly, carbohydrates are a great source of energy as the body can break them down into simple sugars (glucose).

For weight loss I have 13 grams per day. The first stage of the Atkins diet is only 10 grams per day.

I have only 20 grams per day because that keeps me healthy and fit. Some people can tolerate more carbs than others. I cannot eat more carbs than that.

If you are NOT wanting to lose weight, the number of carbs you can consume on a daily basis may be judged on your daily calorie intake. For a person who is just doing a regular amount of activity (taking in 1,600-2,200 calories), carbohydrate intake is more (around 65%), whereas fat intake is lower (20%). But if the person has a higher calorie intake (e.g., 3,000-4,000, as in someone who does long-distance running, etc.) the person will need less carbohydrates (55%) and more fats (30%). There isn't a raw number of carbohydrates to intake because the amount of exercise a person does depends essentially on how active they are overall. For athletes, the most important carbohydrate is the complex ones such as oats, fruits, vegetables... anything with fiber. But you have to watch out: carbohydrates are easily over-consumed, especially refined processed carbohydrates.

If you are NOT aiming for weight loss, the amount of any food per day is subjective to age, health conditions, physical activity. There are many other minor factors that may determine the amount of calories and carbs that a person needs. So, based on the law of individualism, each individual is unique and their needs are different. It can depend on how many calories/day diet you maintain. 45% of your daily intake should be carbs. On a 1,600-calories-a-day diet, 720 calories should come from carbs. Or about 180 grams. The important thing is what KIND of carbs. You should strictly limit refined processed carbohydrates. Replace those food with more fat burning foods.

For good health, or for weight loss, or weight maintenance, strictly limit refined (processed) carbohydrates (apart from occasional treats). Refined processed carbohydrates are a major cause of weight gain, obesity, diabetes type 2, and many other diet related diseases. If you are unsure what these foods are, there is the list further down this page, under Sources and Related Links.

Do not eat white bread, white pasta, white potatoes, or white rice. These foods are VERY high glycemic and will spike your blood sugar, which will make you hungry again much quicker. Add fiber to your diet (which you will automatically do if you switch to whole grain carbs) and eat 5-6 small "meals" during the day instead of 3 big meals. You will never be hungry and will shed pounds like mad. For more details, look for Dr. Ray Strand's book "Releasing Fat." It is excellent.

SUMMARY:

For those who ARE aiming for weight loss:

Unlike protein and fats, there is no minimum daily requirement of carbs in order to flourish physically. However, if you need to lose body fat there is a maximum recommendation.

So, for the free lists, charts and plans to show you the way:

1. List of refined carbohydrates (to avoid or strictly limit),
    2. The 15 fat burning foods (to replace refined processed carbohydrates),
    3. The low carbohydrate foods that speed up metabolism,
    4. How to use low carbohydrate foods and diet,
    5. Counting carbohydrates in fruit chart - free chart for daily use for either weight loss or weight maintenance,
    6. Counting carbohydrates in vegetables - free chart for daily use for either weight loss or weight maintenance,

see the page links, further down this page, listed in the Sources and Related Links section. You need to be signed in to Answers.com to view the Sources and Related Links section. If you are not yet a member of our friendly community it's quick and easy to join and everything is free.
    -

^ Ignore this person.

Calorie deficit = weight loss.

Focus on cals, fats, and proteins and let the carbs fall where they may. I have mine set to 40c/30f/30p.
  • standoug888
    standoug888 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    when I first started my weight loss journey I started dropping weight like crazy on my calorie intake im wondering now since I lost all this weight should I eat more to keep my metabolism going better?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    when I first started my weight loss journey I started dropping weight like crazy on my calorie intake im wondering now since I lost all this weight should I eat more to keep my metabolism going better?

A resounding YES!

Eating too little over a long period of time is bad for your metabolism. I've been there, lost the weight and struggled after.

I will warn you to up slowly and expect a gain at first, but its much better in the long run
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I eat 400 - 500 g a day of carbs. Caloric deficit will lead to weight loss.
  • terrib1980
    terrib1980 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do 50% Carbs, 25% Protein, 25% Fat and have been steadily losing weight (including belly weight) over the last 2 months and I'm 9 lbs away from my goal of 125lbs. I do around 189g of carbs daily... so from my perspective, 150g of carbs daily is certainly not too high. Everyone has to do what works for them though :)