Struggling with the weight watchers mentality

Options
I've done WW many times and have always had success. One of the most helpful changes that WW made was making most fruits and all veggies 0 pp. Now that I'm trying to count calories, without joining WW, I'm having a hard time with the adjustment to counting fruits in my daily calorie counts. Has anyone used MFP, not counted their fruits/veggies and lost weight? I'm struggling with the adjustment.
Thanks!

Replies

• healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Some people from WW, still track points. Not sure if this would help you, but check out this thread:
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/822101-is-there-a-way-to-track-ww-points?hl=tracking+WW+points&page=2#posts-13974527
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the idea of WW giving fruits and veggies 0 points. They have calories. It's a fact.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I think the new WW program not counting the "points" in fruits works wonderfully for people who have a significant amount of weight to lose. I've seen people at my meetings lose 30 to 50 lbs on the new "zero point" fruit/veggie program.

But, if someone has fewer than 20 lbs to lose...those people (like me) really struggle and stall.

I do WW and MFP. WW because it "rewards" healthier eating (basically so long as you keep within a certain caloric level you can manipulate MFP so that you can live on 1200 calories a day of Twinkies and Fritos.) and MFP because with only 15 lbs to lose, WW's new program was just too nonrestrictive forrme.

I am one of those people who can eat 4 lbs of grapes...!
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the idea of WW giving fruits and veggies 0 points. They have calories. It's a fact.

Me too. SO many of my calories come from veggies.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options

fruits make up a few hundred of my cals daily!
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I always go back to the old pros and cons. What are the pros and cons in WW system. What are the pros and cons MFP has to offer.

Also, can't you do both? Just because they are different doesn't mean you couldn't utilize them both. You have a certain limit of calories on MFP. And on WW you have points. If you meet both of those it's like hitting two homeruns in one game.

One thing I do like about MFP is that you can track your exersize. I think once you get used to MFP you will really enjoy it.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I've done WW over the years and finally reached my "goal" (very tip top of my height range) in 2005. Due to an Achilles' tendon injury a year or so later, I was unable to exercise/walk for two years and gained a significant amount of weight back. Long story short, I returned to WW, began losing weight, then discovered MFP a few months ago. I struggled with the same issue as you. I tried to reconcile the two programs, found I couldn't, and decided to count calories and stick with MFP. I immediately began losing more weight, upped my exercise, and finally found the right formula. I do go to WW once a month (for free because I am a Lifetime Member and have been within my goal weight). At this point I am 13 lbs below my WW "goal" weight and feel terrific. I like WW and do believe the "no counting" of fruits and veggies is good because it gives you the feeling that if you are hungry you can eat a healthy snack instead of a crappy one. But, as others have said, there are calories in these foods -- and I can easily eat two bananas an a couple of oranges a day -- but that would put me outside my MFP guidelines. Happy to be your friend in MFP if you want to send me a request. I keep an open diary.
  • santd
    santd Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have to say I've been to weight watchers most of my life, and I truly believe they've made me paranoid over food, and counting calories. Then I started losing weight this time all on my own, I didn't count 1 calorie. I knew what what fattening, and what was healthy, I just had to concentrate on the volume, to my activity in the day. I bought myself a tiny bowel, and a side plate, and that's what I ate off, and it works.

Now that I've lost nearly 14 stones (336 pounds) in weight the last stone (14 pounds) is the only time I've had to be more precis with my food, hence joining this site to count for me during the last stone.
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I have to say I've been to weight watchers most of my life, and I truly believe they've made me paranoid over food, and counting calories. Then I started losing weight this time all on my own, I didn't count 1 calorie. I knew what what fattening, and what was healthy, I just had to concentrate on the volume, to my activity in the day. I bought myself a tiny bowel, and a side plate, and that's what I ate off, and it works.

Now that I've lost nearly 14 stones (336 pounds) in weight the last stone (14 pounds) is the only time I've had to be more precis with my food, hence joining this site to count for me during the last stone.

you have done beyond amazing
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Weightwatchers certainly works at making people think about what they are eating but I had to stop going as I couldn't believe how paranoid it made everyone. Mature women standing in line to be weighed, removing every bit of excess clothing (even underwear on one occasion) every bit of jewellery and going for a wee every two minutes, just to lost half a pound. Its not healthy. Then the 'leader' told us the story of how she and her family went to a nearby Wagamammas (upmarket burger bar) as a treat for the kids. While looking at the menu she saw they portions on a nearby table and she made them leave because she couldn't only eat half a burger!! That is NOT a healthy attitude to eating/food/life and even though she had lost weight it was still controlling her!
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My mother in law and sister in law have been doing Slimming World, which is very similar to WW. One of my male friends also did it, and the thing I really cannot stand hearing is "it's free".

Their mentality (especially my mother in law's) is to eat as much as possible of free foods, whether they want it or not. Personally, I might like fruit, but I can't spend all bloody day constantly munching on fruit like they do. I want to eat food that I like, when I like, which will include fruit and vegetables, but requires moderation. I watch them sit and binge on food because "it's okay- IT'S FREE!"

It does work for some people, but it's by no means a cure-all attitude to long term healthy eating. Sometimes I think these people have been indoctrinated into a cult and "it's free" is their holy chant.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options

I used to do WW and I did love that the fruits and veggies were 0 pp. But a lot of people in WW start out with really bad eating habits. I think WW gives fruits and veggies (with the exception of a few) 0 pp, to encourage more healthy eating.
    But the WW leader at the meetings used to STRESS over and over and over that just because it's free doesn't mean you can go binge eat on 10 lbs of grapes. She said we should count them as 0 pp until we got the 5 fruits/veggies for the day. After that, we should give them points.

I used to eat whatever crap I could get my hands on that would give me the lowest points. I ate lots of sugar cereals. I was always hungry. I like MFP much better because it's encouraging me to eat healthier. I didn't feel that way with WW as much... Plus I feel like I get to eat more on here. :bigsmile:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The whole concept of WW is backwards. It's just a way to make money by selling overpriced and highly processed foods.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options

I'm not on WW, but it's my understanding that they've raised the points of everything else to balance it out because they found people were avoiding fruits and vegetables because they had "points". The point is to encourage people to eat them.

But not very helpful if you're going from the points system to counting calories, I guess.
  • logcabin165
    logcabin165 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've been working for WW for almost 20 years. If you have little to lose, count your fruit as 1 point each. They have a lot of calories, which mfp will tell you. That isn't free! Even the wintersquash, I count as 1 point. I do both plans, points, and mfp. It works for me, although does get to be a bit too much posting, in that case, I have to keep current w/the points system, but it's the calories that are the bottom line. By having the free fruits, WW wants you to grab that instead of Cheetos, but there is a limit to free. Limit fruits to 2/day, and you should be ok.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    bump
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I've done WW many times and have always had success.

Oxymoron. You can't be successful MANY times with WW, and be here looking to lose weight. If WW weren't a gimmick, it would be successful for life, and teach us how to live without it when we were done with the program, not just how us how to do it while we're tracking then cut us loose to fail. (I did weight watchers, and became a "lifetime member")

If you're still in the WW mentality, as many are, count your fruits and starchy veggies like potatoes and carrots, peas etc and not your regular veggies, leafy greens etc. Many dietitians who tell you to track will also say that. Non-startchy veggies have so few calories, they are pretty much negligible when it comes to counting, but if you're going to have fruit, make sure you have space for it in your calorie count and macros, or do the extra exercise to make room; they have big calories, they aren't free.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options

But the WW leader at the meetings used to STRESS over and over and over that just because it's free doesn't mean you can go binge eat on 10 lbs of grapes. She said we should count them as 0 pp until we got the 5 fruits/veggies for the day. After that, we should give them points.

This!! WW is doing the "free" fruits and veggies to encourage people to eat them, HOWEVER - you are supposed to eat 5 servings per day. You are supposed to measure those servings - and they are included in how your daily points allowance is calculated - you just aren't actually "counting them" in your diary.

If you want to count points and track calories on MFP, then by all means, track their calories - because you are still eating them - they still count.

I think this is where MANY people have failed with the new points plus system and the free fruits/veggies. They just don't understand how it is supposed to work and think they can eat 45 lbs of free fruits and veggies everyday and then complain when it doesn't work.
  • CM9178
    Options
    I've done WW many times and have always had success.

Oxymoron. You can't be successful MANY times with WW, and be here looking to lose weight. If WW weren't a gimmick, it would be successful for life, and teach us how to live without it when we were done with the program, not just how us how to do it while we're tracking then cut us loose to fail. (I did weight watchers, and became a "lifetime member")

If you're still in the WW mentality, as many are, count your fruits and starchy veggies like potatoes and carrots, peas etc and not your regular veggies, leafy greens etc. Many dietitians who tell you to track will also say that. Non-startchy veggies have so few calories, they are pretty much negligible when it comes to counting, but if you're going to have fruit, make sure you have space for it in your calorie count and macros, or do the extra exercise to make room; they have big calories, they aren't free.

That's not true. Maybe she did it in the past to lose 20 lbs and then stop. It doesn't mean she wasn't successful in her goal at that specific time.

I followed WW 10 years ago and lost 70 lbs - got down to my goal weight. Therefore, I was VERY successful using Weight Watchers. The reason I am back here today has absolutely NOTHING to do with how useful or helpful Weight Watchers is for maintaining your goal long term. The reason I am back here today is 100% ON ME.
  • CM9178
    Options
    The whole concept of WW is backwards. It's just a way to make money by selling overpriced and highly processed foods.
    Their foods and products are absolutely NOT required to follow their points system. It isn't like Jenny Craig.