Pool workouts

Options
For anyone who considers water workouts to be "lazy" workouts etc....Please do not underestimate them.

Most people get in a pool and do not know what to do so they dont feel as if its effective; however, if you get in a pool and move from the time you get in, you burn way more than what you believe....

Our routine for anyone who is interested.....

1. we water jog....normally just 5 to 10 minutes to start to kind of warm up
2. we then do laps across pool anywhere from 2 to 6
3. we do stair push ups and backward squats (30 at a time)
4. we do jump in jacks
5. we do lunges
6. we then go to deep end and we tread water, sometimes fast, sometimes slow, sometimes moderate effort
7. we will also break and play some water volleyball
8. we then jog some more
9. do more laps
10. we do leg lifts
11...thigh squeezes.....

and we repeat the cycle...for someone wanted extra, there are water weights you can buy at academy, walmart etc......

It is definitely a burn, in the 2 weeks that i've been consisten with it, i can see definition in my body and weight loss
my aunt can really see form and definition in her body...

it is NOT a lazy workout if you are doing it correctly...

I highly recommend it....

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I do water aerobics and one hour I verified with my HRM a 480 cals burn in an hour, do i do it becuase its more fun and doesnt seem as much like a workout.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    i love to do the pool workouts, i may not follow exactly as others but i do the jogging, laps, and alot of treading water. also reverse sit up using the noodle, may not feel it immediately but trust me you will LOL wow and the cals burned are alot more than i feel like i have burned. So with that being said.......off to run errands and then to the pool
  • megharber
    megharber Posts: 13
    Options
    I LOVE water workouts. I am currently taking a water aerobic class twice a week. Then afterwards, we stay and do more exercises and also work out in the pool every few days. I have bad feet and the dr recommended that this should be my cardio and its great. I have even sweated during the classes at times. I LOVE that it really doesn't feel like exercise but fun. I'm even taking my toddler in the rec center pool and having him learn to swim or at least play in the water. :)
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    i Have really bad feet as well and it helps I must say.....There are some days I do it real light but some days I try to push it up a bit....It is a good burn and yes you do end up feeling it later on......There are days i'm actually sore after it.....
  • Shan80
    Shan80 Posts: 47
    Options
    Thank you for posting this - I'm just starting my workouts again to lose a lot of weight and with the heat in my area it's rather hard to get outside and walk like I enjoy doing. I love to be in the pool and so do the kids so this is a great way for me to get in a good workout!! I'll be taking your tips and doing those myself the rest of this week while we swim!!

Thanks so much!
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    your welcome...i was inspired to post this after someone said something about a "lazy" day workout.
  • breannahead
    Options
    This is a wonderful post!!! I started my workout yesterday and was swimming laps but noticed i got bored just swimming and was wondering what else I could do to keep my self going! I love these ideas and will have to try them! Thank you
  • kimcoop
    kimcoop Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Water Aerobics is the best workout at the gym.
    This is the first time I've ever been able to do crunches without injuring my back and I found my abdominal muscles and my feet and knees don't get injured as much. Also love working out with a group and getting to know people.
    This is our "happy hour!"
  • Svelez61
    Options
    Im glad I got on this post. Im new to all this just started and I need to lose weight and I love to swim. I have been doing laps with combination of the breast side back butterfly strokes. and also water jogging reverse situps. i feel great when Im done. Im in the pool for 45 to 60 mins. thanks for all the imputs on this page.