What's the real deal with sugars?

Options
2»

Replies

• Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    What has the world come to that people are doubting the age-old wisdom of "eat more fruits and vegetables to be healthy"?!?! NO ONE HAS EVER BECOME FAT AND SICK FROM EATING TOO MANY FRUITS AND VEGETABLES! No. One. Ever.

I wish that MFP didn't even provide a column for sugar. So pointless. Sugar is a sub-set of carbs (check your nutrition label). If you are tracking your carbs, then its redundant and pointless to track sugar. (First thing I did when I got to MFP was hide the silly sugar column.) And I was diabetic at the time!! (I reversed my diabetes in 8 weeks with diet, btw.)

Yes there is "good sugar" and "bad sugar." Just like there is good fat and bad fat and good food and bad food and good protein and bad protein.... but we still NEED all those things to be healthy, and nothing is poisonous in MODERATION.

Let's use our common sense, people! Avoid processed crap with processed sugar! Eat natural things that grow from the earth like fruits and vegetables. And will someone do us all a favor and destroy the freaking sugar column?

Peace out :flowerforyou:
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Watch the documentary 'Hungry for Change'... then let me know what you think about sugar. I JUST watched it yesterday - so it's fresh in my mind. Very eye opening.
    Sugar, in it's natural state (such as in corn, fruit, etc) is fine. But the refined, white sugar that is added into almost everything we eat and drink-- not so good.
    It's a great doc, and is on Netflix. Check it out!

(and don't even get me started on MSG and aspartame!)

tinhatchick_zps6dbad15b.jpg

:laugh:

Thank you.

So... you're saying the heaping teaspoonfuls of sugar added in the kids milk, and the sugar in soda and cereal and bread and peanut butter and ketchup and just about EVERYTHING ... is good for us? Consuming 150+ lbs of sugar a year is good?

That must be why we're all so lean, and fit, and healthy and not overweight. And on this site because we're not addicted to crappy processed food and sugar and salt that we've been fed all our lives. We're not overweight as a nation because of all this crap... Riiiight.

g'nite!

You can't blame any single (type of) macronutrient for the obesity epidemic. (80's was fat, 90's was carbs, 00's was GI BS)

too many calories in, not enough calories out = get fat.

have to agree. i got fat from too much beer, too much flaming hot cheetos, and too much mexican food... i can easily put away 6000 calories in a day with those three things on my list. before coming to mfp, those three things were on my list atleast 3 times per week... and i did absolutely no exercise. now, i watch my calories, but still eat whatever i want, in moderation, and get exercise, and the fat is melting off. "sugar" does not make people fat... over eating and undermoving does.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Watch the documentary 'Hungry for Change'... then let me know what you think about sugar. I JUST watched it yesterday - so it's fresh in my mind. Very eye opening.
    Sugar, in it's natural state (such as in corn, fruit, etc) is fine. But the refined, white sugar that is added into almost everything we eat and drink-- not so good.
    It's a great doc, and is on Netflix. Check it out!

(and don't even get me started on MSG and aspartame!)

tinhatchick_zps6dbad15b.jpg

:laugh:

Thank you.

So... you're saying the heaping teaspoonfuls of sugar added in the kids milk, and the sugar in soda and cereal and bread and peanut butter and ketchup and just about EVERYTHING ... is good for us? Consuming 150+ lbs of sugar a year is good?

That must be why we're all so lean, and fit, and healthy and not overweight. And on this site because we're not addicted to crappy processed food and sugar and salt that we've been fed all our lives. We're not overweight as a nation because of all this crap... Riiiight.

g'nite!

Actually yes. I drink a liter of Mtn Dew several days a week, I eat ice cream, pop tarts, snickers, cake, donuts, etc and I'm in better shape than most people that eat tasteless rabbit food all day. Maybe children are overweight because PE has been removed from school, they are driven to and from school, in my day I rode my bike several miles to elentary school. Or maybe it's the fact that most kids don't go and play outside anymore, instead they sit on their *kitten* and play video games all day. And maybe it's the fact that most adults don't do squat at work, they sit at a desk and don't burn many calories. Not many people farm or do construction or other labor intensive jobs like back in the day. All the men on my dads construction crew eat whatever they want, drink a ton of beer and eat sweets and fatty foods, yet they are all rail thin because they burn a ton of calories at work.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    What has the world come to that people are doubting the age-old wisdom of "eat more fruits and vegetables to be healthy"?!?! NO ONE HAS EVER BECOME FAT AND SICK FROM EATING TOO MANY FRUITS AND VEGETABLES! No. One. Ever.

I wish that MFP didn't even provide a column for sugar. So pointless. Sugar is a sub-set of carbs (check your nutrition label). If you are tracking your carbs, then its redundant and pointless to track sugar. (First thing I did when I got to MFP was hide the silly sugar column.) And I was diabetic at the time!! (I reversed my diabetes in 8 weeks with diet, btw.)

Yes there is "good sugar" and "bad sugar." Just like there is good fat and bad fat and good food and bad food and good protein and bad protein.... but we still NEED all those things to be healthy, and nothing is poisonous in MODERATION.

Let's use our common sense, people! Avoid processed crap with processed sugar! Eat natural things that grow from the earth like fruits and vegetables. And will someone do us all a favor and destroy the freaking sugar column?

What are good and bad proteins? I never heard about this in school?
  • savoiaS1
    savoiaS1 Posts: 129
    Options
    Pretty much everyone above got this post correct. Sugars are a carb and have no more of an effect on total scale weight then any other carb. That being said, There are health benefits to avoiding refined sugars. Simply sugars will also fill glycogen stores slightly faster then slower carbs. Which is actually beneficial to male and female bodybuilders. But for your average dieter. End scale results will be the same no matter if you eat 100grams of carbs from steel cut oats or 100g of carbs from swedish fish.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Ok so I am reading these posts and realizing something that is not being said that really should be. If you are over weight, and I venture a lot of people here are, then sugar, any sugar spikes your insulin, because you are pre-diabetic and that is NOT a good thing. Constant blood sugar spikes cause insulin resistance and this is a BAD thing, it causes metabolic resistance and make weight loss really hard. It increases hunger as well, which leads to over eating. ANY sugar can do this, even fruit sugar. The key to controlling hunger, and weight loss is to control your blood sugar and any doctor can tell you that.

With that being said it takes a lot of energy to process fiber so fruit and veggies do not spike the blood sugar as high as a cookie, because there just is not that much sugar in a piece of fruit and the body has to burn fuel to process it. Also eating protein and fat with carbohydrates (sugar) will slow the process down. And don't fool yourself, though there are complex carbohydrates and simple carbohydrates, they BOTH spike blood sugar. Complex carbohydrates are healthier for you because they supply a great deal of vitamins and minerals, like complex vitamin B's and potassium. But you still need to eat them in SERIOUS moderation when you are overweight.

Going completely sugar free is not needed. Being carbohydrate minded is. Eat healthy foods like fruit and veggies and whole grain in moderation and balanced with protein and fat. And that moderation is a lot lower than what most people realize. Constant carbohydrate intake over 125 grams a day without balancing it with equal amounts of protein and fat can lead you to insulin resistance, especially if you are over weight.

There are a lot of resources out there that discuss this but any recent research on diabetes will explain this further. Doctors debate how low carb/sugar intake should be, but they all agree that it must be reduced to fight diabetes and obesity.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Quote:
    Actually yes. I drink a liter of Mtn Dew several days a week, I eat ice cream, pop tarts, snickers, cake, donuts, etc and I'm in better shape than most people that eat tasteless rabbit food all day. Maybe children are overweight because PE has been removed from school, they are driven to and from school, in my day I rode my bike several miles to elentary school. Or maybe it's the fact that most kids don't go and play outside anymore, instead they sit on their *kitten* and play video games all day. And maybe it's the fact that most adults don't do squat at work, they sit at a desk and don't burn many calories. Not many people farm or do construction or other labor intensive jobs like back in the day. All the men on my dads construction crew eat whatever they want, drink a ton of beer and eat sweets and fatty foods, yet they are all rail thin because they burn a ton of calories at work.

Or maybe people like you may have clad iron genetics that give you the ability to fight off the damage these things do to your body. Yes you can eat this way and you may live to be a 100. You might also die tomorrow from a heart attack.

My aunt died at 92, smoking daily and over weight. She died in her sleep and was completely healthy until the day she died. Another person in my family died at 52. He exercised and ate right. He died anyway of heart failure...

We can't fight genetics, at least not at the present time. However we also do not need to increase our chances of defeat and disease. I will take a little self denial in my food choices rather than gamble with my future. I could die tomorrow, I could also live to 100, I have both options in my family genetics. But one thing I do know, if I make better food choices I am going to be a lot more comfortable along the way.
  • Granville_Cocteau
    Granville_Cocteau Posts: 209 Member
    Options

Not true.

"The CDC estimated 277 poultry-related deaths in 1998-2008, compared to 236 vegetable-related deaths."
    http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/leafy-greens-poultry-foodborne-illness-study-article-1.1250443

This happened in 2011:

"The number of victims of the colibacillus infection in Germany has grown to 11 people. A 91-year-old woman from North Rhine-Westphalia in the west of the country died on Monday. The Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Consumer Protection is calling on people to refrain from eating fresh vegetables, especially cucumbers, tomatoes and lettuce, until experts find the source of infection.
    http://english.ruvr.ru/2011/05/30/51028442/
  • beccybean
    beccybean Posts: 4
    Options
    You don't really need to worry about the sugar in fruits. Your body knows how to break down and use natural sugar. It's the processed, refined stuff that your body has no real use for.

As for bananas, and other high sugar fruits (pineapples, mangoes, etc), they are better eaten early in the day as they do have a lot of sugar and it gives your body more time to use it.

I eat a lot of fruit, so I changed my settings on my food diary to show cholesterol instead of sugar, because I barely eat any refined sugar, so i don't worry about it... it was annoying to see that number go in the red every day after breakfast, so I decided to change it up.

I just changed my settings to cholesterol instead of sugar as well. Thanks for the tip. I'm just finding my way round on here so that was very helpful :)
  • savoiaS1
    savoiaS1 Posts: 129
    Options
    Ok so I am reading these posts and realizing something that is not being said that really should be. If you are over weight, and I venture a lot of people here are, then sugar, any sugar spikes your insulin, because you are pre-diabetic and that is NOT a good thing. Constant blood sugar spikes cause insulin resistance and this is a BAD thing, it causes metabolic resistance and make weight loss really hard. It increases hunger as well, which leads to over eating. ANY sugar can do this, even fruit sugar. The key to controlling hunger, and weight loss is to control your blood sugar and any doctor can tell you that.

With that being said it takes a lot of energy to process fiber so fruit and veggies do not spike the blood sugar as high as a cookie, because there just is not that much sugar in a piece of fruit and the body has to burn fuel to process it. Also eating protein and fat with carbohydrates (sugar) will slow the process down. And don't fool yourself, though there are complex carbohydrates and simple carbohydrates, they BOTH spike blood sugar. Complex carbohydrates are healthier for you because they supply a great deal of vitamins and minerals, like complex vitamin B's and potassium. But you still need to eat them in SERIOUS moderation when you are overweight.

Going completely sugar free is not needed. Being carbohydrate minded is. Eat healthy foods like fruit and veggies and whole grain in moderation and balanced with protein and fat. And that moderation is a lot lower than what most people realize. Constant carbohydrate intake over 125 grams a day without balancing it with equal amounts of protein and fat can lead you to insulin resistance, especially if you are over weight.

There are a lot of resources out there that discuss this but any recent research on diabetes will explain this further. Doctors debate how low carb/sugar intake should be, but they all agree that it must be reduced to fight diabetes and obesity.

Very informative post. I did not tackle this in depth whatsoever and just stated that eating less refined sugars is beneficial health wise but you broke it down in depth for those who may need light shed on this issue. Well spoken.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    Quote:

Or maybe people like you may have clad iron genetics that give you the ability to fight off the damage these things do to your body. Yes you can eat this way and you may live to be a 100. You might also die tomorrow from a heart attack.

My aunt died at 92, smoking daily and over weight. She died in her sleep and was completely healthy until the day she died. Another person in my family died at 52. He exercised and ate right. He died anyway of heart failure...

We can't fight genetics, at least not at the present time. However we also do not need to increase our chances of defeat and disease. I will take a little self denial in my food choices rather than gamble with my future. I could die tomorrow, I could also live to 100, I have both options in my family genetics. But one thing I do know, if I make better food choices I am going to be a lot more comfortable along the way.
    Exactly, genetics are the main contributing factor which dictates what you die of. My grandpa's brother smoked and drank hard liquor nearly everyday of his life since he was 16. He ate full fat foods, and lots of sweets. According to Dr's he should have died before his 70th birthday due to his lifestyle. However he lived to 98, drinking, smoking and eating bacon and butter till the day he also passed in his sleep.
    On the other hand, my deceased dentist was a long distance runner, ate 'clean' didnt smoke or drink, was an ovo-vegan and he died of a heart attack at 43.
    The point is, when it's your time, it's your time. Might as well enjoy the time you have to the fullest. I'm not saying go ahead and eat your weight in sugar everyday, but damn, if you feel like eating a donut or cake, eat some damn cake!!!
  • ShanB891
    ShanB891 Posts: 2
    Options
    How did you change your setting from sugar to cholesterol?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

There are naturally occurring poisons in fruits and vegetables. See rhubarb, sorrel and oxalic acid as one example. If you eat too much too frequently you can make yourself very sick (kidney stones, vitamin deficiencies). If you eat stupid amounts that most of us who are not into competition eating cannot fathom doing, you can poison yourself and die.

There are people who get fat and eat pretty much nothing but fruit and vegetables. If all I did was sit around and eat pears, peaches and such, I would gain weight. Fruit doesn't stick with me at all, so in order to not be hungry, I'd have to be eating constantly and I'd be over my TDEE by the end of the day. It can be done, and if it can be done you can be guaranteed somebody out there will have done it. It's just nowhere near as easy as getting fat on high calorie low density food.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't treat all sugars the same.

Basically, fructose (sugar from fruit) has a low glycemic index, meaning it breaks down slower, and provides energy longer giving our bodies time to burn it off, rather than store it.

Sucrose (refined sugar) has a high GI, it's broken down very quickly, and whatever isn't burned off in a short period is stored as glycogen. When the glycogen stores are full, it is then stored as fat. Sucrose also causes blood sugar to spike and an immediate release of insulin. Your body doesn't really know how to react to it, because it's not something your body easily recognizes, because it's unnatural.

So natural sugars won't make you fat, but refined sugar will.

You are misinformed. Fructose doesn't break down slower, it's a monosaccharide so it's absorbed immediately in the intestines. Sucrose is a disaccharide and requires the enzyme sucrase to break down the molecule into fructose and glucose.
    Both fructose and sucrose will cause weight gain if you consume more calories than you burn. Both contain 4 kcals/gram

This 100x