What am I doing wrong? Heavy lifting not working. Ugghh

Options

Replies

• 007FatSlayer
    007FatSlayer Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    For me, it took two months of eating whole/clean foods and lifting heavy to see a difference.
  • 007FatSlayer
    007FatSlayer Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I also did/do cardio 4-5x a week (30 mins of HIIT)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Actually, third: Try doing full-body exercises rather than just lifting weights or focusing on one muscle at a time. My favorite is the Spartacus workout
    good point. the OP hasnt specified what she's doing.

heavy lifting doing bicep curls and tricep kickbacks arent really going to do anything if you're 100 pounds overweight. if you're heavy lifting and doing compound movements like deadlifts, squats, BB rows, bench press and OHP then that's very different
  • niqua215
    niqua215 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The thickness of a piece of meat counts just as much as how much surface area it takes up. A thick piece of meat in your palm could be much more than 4oz.

I've tried "eyeballing" pieces of meat, and the thickness can make up the difference. I weighed two separate pieces of fish, similar size... vastly different thickness. One was a whole 2 1/2 oz more. Took up the same amount of area on my palm, though.

I used the food scale to weigh my dinner and my fruit for tomorrow. Will use from now on. thanks
  • niqua215
    Options
    What are your current lift numbers?

Bench Press 70# 3x8
    OHP 40# 3x8
    Bent Over Rows 70# 3x10
    Barbell Curls 40# 3x8
    Squat 90# 3x10
    Deadlift 100# 3x8
    Leg Extentions 60# 3x8
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Weigh absolutely everything you put in your mouth. No measuring cups or spoons, and definitely no estimating. I think weighing is easier really- I put my bowl on the scale, zero it, add my lettuce, zero it, tomatoes, zero it, dressing...I track all the numbers right away. Milk in my coffee? I stick my coffee cup on the scale, zero, and add milk. I did not see results until I started doing this years ago.
    When you make a recipe, weigh all the individual ingredients as you add them, and then weigh the entire batch after (might have to record the weight of the cooking/serving dish ahead of time and subtract it). I enter recipes into MFP like this: "Chili (100g)" and in the servings, I put the # of grams of the entire batch (for example, 1200) divided by 100. So 1200g entire recipe = 12 servings. Then you can serve yourself however much you want (say, 150g of chili) and enter the # of grams divided by 100. So 150g chili = 1.5 servings.
    This works perfectly and allows me to eat as much or as little as I want of a recipe, and know exactly how many cals.
    It sounds time consuming but it really isn't- and you save washing all the measuring cups!
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    More protein, less carbs, lose the bread. Walk more. Lifting alone isn't going to lose you weight, it just helps build muscle and keep you from losing muscle mass.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Your sets are extremely low. It's okay to do 3 sets at 8 reps for "working" sets, but you probably need to pyramid the weight down. It's possible that you're burning fat and building muscle. MFP sort of sets protein levels to non-lifting diets. I switched my ratio to 40% of my diet to be protein... you can mess with yours numbers that give the best results. A lot of people assume they're executing the exercise correctly. Have you learned proper form? If you haven't you could be making the mistake of using too much of your forearms and shoulders to bear the weight, which could cause lack of proper muscle stimulation.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    What's your BF? If you are lower than 25%, don't expect to lose a ton of weight or have measurements budge quickly. My weight hasn't budged in almost two months but my BF% has been dwindling down...

As for macros, find what works for you. I've tried 40p/30c/30f, never worked for me.. I never had energy and felt like crap. Now I'm at 40c/30p/30f and it works.. for others 50/30/20 works.
  • niqua215
    Options
    Your sets are extremely low. It's okay to do 3 sets at 8 reps for "working" sets, but you probably need to pyramid the weight down. It's possible that you're burning fat and building muscle. MFP sort of sets protein levels to non-lifting diets. I switched my ratio to 40% of my diet to be protein... you can mess with yours numbers that give the best results. A lot of people assume they're executing the exercise correctly. Have you learned proper form? If you haven't you could be making the mistake of using too much of your forearms and shoulders to bear the weight, which could cause lack of proper muscle stimulation.

So should I aim for five sets instead of three? I've been watching youtube videos to make sure I'm getting the right form. Hopefully I am. As for macros, I have my diary set at 40c/30p/30f
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options

So should I aim for five sets instead of three? I've been watching youtube videos to make sure I'm getting the right form. Hopefully I am. As for macros, I have my diary set at 40c/30p/30f

i don't think pyramiding or not pyramiding makes any difference. I never pyramid weights, I do them straight at the same value for each set and I've lost weight that way. It just takes time and effort, that's all that matters.

Pyramid if you want, if you like it, but doing it or not doing it makes no difference to the weight loss unless it makes you more comfortable and likely to go to the gym.

I do think you could try doing 4 sets instead of 3. If you lift heavy the 4th set is where you will be most exhausted and most wearing down the muscle. Maybe not for every exercise but when I do full body or compounds I usually do 4 sets of it (squats, deadlifts, press, etc).
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Read this immediately and join the group eat train progress and read the rest of sara's information.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

^^^
    Great information.
  • dmtober1
    dmtober1 Posts: 2
    Options
    One thing that may help is substitute all sodas--even diet sodas--for water and unsweetened green tea. Green tea is a natural fat burner. You should drink about four cups a day with no sweeteners. Also, if you're using protein powder, make sure it contains no sucralose or artificial sweeteners. Better to have a little sugar, than anything artificial. I use either Isopure Natural or Golden Standard Natural Whey.

I was trying to lose about 9 lbs, which isn't that much compared to some, and it has taken me four months to lose 7, so I still have a few to go. I was getting very frustrated until I cut out all gluten (no pasta, no bread, you get the picture) and all processed foods. All I eat is protein, greens, a little fruit, coconut milk, and protein shakes--for 4 months--no cheating. I also work out at the gym 6 days/week for two hours at a time, run four miles 2-3X/week, and mix in whatever other activities I can. This is all to say that even with this level of activity, and strict meal plan, after 4 months I'm close to my goal, but still not there. It takes a while, so be patient and persistent!
  • dmtober1
    dmtober1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Regarding lifting, if you can I would highly recommend getting one or two sessions with a good trainer. You can't really learn form, at first, without someone there watching you and positioning your body properly. Also, I would start with a warm-up weight for each exercise and then do an additional 3 sets with increasing weight. Your first set could be up to 15 reps, gradually declining until your last set is about 5-8 with heavier weights. Also, the more muscles engaged during a particular exercise, the more calories you burn. Exercises like squats, dead lifts, etc., burn a lot more calories than regular bicep curls, for example. However, you can still maximize the calorie burn for smaller muscle groups; for example, when doing bicep curls you can balance on one leg (or a bosu ball), and switch legs with each set. This helps you strengthen your core and work on balance. Almost any exercise can be adapted to engage the core and larger muscle groups. Most people, for example, do flat bench dumbbell presses with a weight in each hand. If you do them with a weight in one hand, and have half of your body off to the side of the bench, you will be contracting your glutes, flexing the core, and working the pec muscles all at the same time. This burns more calories and maximizes your workouts.
  • edwardgaweda
    Options
    As far as training, I would suggest following a tried and true program like Starting Strength. Follow that up with 30min of cardio post lifting and HIIT on off-days and you should see results come much quicker.

As far as diet, you have to be 100% sure that you aren't cheating. Whether it's by accident, or you're sneaking in a brownie and not counting it... the results end up the same: your progress is hindered. Forget measuring solids with spoons, weigh them in grams. Every calorie you eat needs to be accounted for. Beyond that, make sure you're drinking around a gallon of water daily and keep your refined/simple carbs to an absolute minimum.

I also applaud you for doing squats and deadlifts... just make sure you're doing them right.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You are getting a lot of really good information here. However, if after another month none of this works, I'd recommend that you ask yourself a few questions about your own body and habits.

Do you notice any food intolerances? Personally, I discovered a gluten intolerance and an extreme sensitivity to sugar (not diabetes, but my body just doesn't like processed sugars) while testing out different diets. When I cut out certain things from my diet, I lose weight, even if I don't change the calories much.

Do you have a slow metabolism? Not everybody burns calories at the same rate. While exercise will make you burn more calories faster, you may have to push your body a little to find the level that fits you. MFP is a great tool, but the values for a healthy male with a fast metabolism are NOT the same as the values for a woman with a slow metabolism, even if they have the ame activity level.

Do you eat/drink diet products? Faking sugar by having sweeteners can trick the body into releasing insulin, which will bind carbs as fat rather than burning them. This is one reason why some of the advice above is for all water and green tea.

Do you drink alcohol? Alcohol can be as disruptive to weight loss as diet products.

Do you get enough sleep? Sleeping well is important for weight loss, to the point that a constant sleep deficiency can cause weight gain in otherwise healthy people eating healthy.

Sometimes getting the body back on the right track is really easy - and sometimes it's a struggle, and demands a total reevaluation of all habits and ideas about health and food. Don't give up, the final benefits are much greater than the pain you now feel.
  • Ipalavra
    Ipalavra Posts: 32
    Options
    Losing weight correctly:

Step 1: Throw away your scale
    Step 2: Buy a mirror
    Step 3: Pick a regimen, stick through it for a 3 month period, and decide if it's working or not.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Losing weight correctly:

Step 3: Pick a regimen, stick through it for a 3 month period, and decide if it's working or not.
    and what if after 3 months u find out it didnt work? 3 months wasted! if u r in a proper calorie deficit, the weight should start coming off 1-2 weeks.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Losing weight correctly:

and what if after 3 months u find out it didnt work? 3 months wasted! if u r in a proper calorie deficit, the weight should start coming off 1-2 weeks.

By being on the same regime for three months with progressive overload and planned recovery, you'll:

a) learn a lot about yourself and how you cope with increasing load
    b) sharpen up your form
    c) learn how you body deals with fatigue

Those three things are true even if the scale goes up, stays the same or goes down.

Only a tunnel-visioned fool would call dedicating yourself to a tried and tested routine for 3 months a waste of time.........
  • FlowersInTheDirt
    FlowersInTheDirt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! I think you will start seeing some changes over the next month. You body is adjusting to the change from constart cardio to weights. The fact taht you are lifting heavier each week is a great start! :smile: