Do well for a while then sabotage with BINGE EATING

Options
Do any of you do really well for a week or so then suddenly have a trigger which sets of a binge? This just happened to me and it lasts a couple of days where I eat over 5000 calories a day...

How do people end this cycle or stop binging and why does this happen??

Replies

• pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    This can happen to me for 2 reasons.

1. If im craving really high fat foods, it means I hadn't been eating enough. This happened somewhere near the beginning of my plan, and I increased my daily calorie intake to prevent weekly binges.

2. if I'm craving carby or sugary foods, I'm eating too many carbs. Lowered carbs and cravings curbed.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    What did you eat? A human?

Best advice is to not drop cals so low you feel deprived, and/or factor in a cheat meal or two.
  • tracyg86
    tracyg86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Your not alone, I am doing this too and its not pretty, serves no purpose and doesn't make me feel any better! I'm heading out to the gym soon because sitting here and eating is not going to make it any easier on me in the long run! I suggest you just start each day well and literally take each day at a time.

I'm starting to accept that I will slip up from time to time but I'm most definitely not going to give up. It will take me longer than people with more will power than me but I wont give up.

I would just say to you to just keep trying to eat well and hopefully it will start to fall into place.

Edit to add that I have also upped my cals, because I think that maybe I was not eating enough to fuel my workouts and my new weight lifting programme. Maybe this is an idea for you also. Good Luck!
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    YOLO!

Just kidding. It happens to me too but I never go above 2,000 cals when I "binge."
    I agree with the above posters.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    a lot of bingeing can be avoided by not undereating in the first place. If you aim for slow and steady fat loss and focus on feeding your body properly, most people can avoid bingeing.

Some bingeing is psychologically based, and if someone suffers from that, then therapy may help, but IMO you need to rule out undereating as a cause, because bingeing in response to undereating is a normal survival response and the way to stop it happening is not trigger it in the first place, i.e. eat properly. Binge eating that only happens when you're on a diet or trying to restrict calories is nearly always the direct result of undereating. Psychological binge eating tends to be triggered by your mood or things that happen and still happens even when the person is eating well or overeating.

If you need to check whether you're eating enough or not, go to the "in place of a road map" thread.

Also, being stricter and/or restricting calories more in response to bingeing generally makes it worse, because usually it's caused by restricting food too much in the first place... restricting it even more is just asking for it to happen again.
  • Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I used to binge when I'd eaten one bad thing then I'd just think, f it, I'm going to eat EVERYTHING. I'm better now though. I always remember reading something that said, if you overspent you wouldn't just go and empty your whole bank account. It's that kind of attitude - just because you've eaten a bit too much doesn't mean you should binge but know that you can limit the damage by being healthy again. Far easier said than done though!
  • Sarah_L_S
    Sarah_L_S Posts: 121
    Options
    I think a lot of people do the same. I used to overeat whenever I got upset about something, but I've learned to control it better, and now binge out once a month or so instead of once a week.

Try not to keep high calorie food in the house, so it's harder to reach for it at those times... noone wants to binge on stuff they have to cook from scratch or tins of kidney beans :-)
  • JessieLynn00
    JessieLynn00 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    LOL!!! Sorry I actually started laughing at that human remark. Anyhow I know what you mean...I can so see myself eating enough junk food (reese's and mountain dew) to use up about 5000 calories. It is very frustrating! I've started making sure that if I have a craving I take care of it before it over takes me:) Good luck..the junk food cravings are harder for me than my cigarette cravings.
  • Ipalavra
    Ipalavra Posts: 32
    Options
    So here's my experience:

I decided that the best way for me to stay clean was to make it a goal to last till my cheat day and would cycle through that in 1 -1.5 week intervals... well when I got to that cheat day I felt as if I had the OBLIGATION to cheat as much as possible knowing it would be a while since I'd get any sort of sweets afterwards... This led to MAJOR binges of STUFFING my face with ice cream and cake and IMMENSE GUILT. I could not handle it mentally.

So instead, I would break and eat a sweet snack during my diet and feel ashamed for a bit and that shame would make me WANT to stay away from sweets for the next couple days, then I'd break for a tiny snack (i'm talking like 10 chocolate chips that i might use for baking occasions) and I'd feel guilty and stay 100% clean for the next couple of days. Well when i go like this I found that I could go for much longer without feeling the need for a cheat day. Not only that but when I got to my cheat day I'd remember the shame from those few occasional breaks and really control what I ate throughout my cheat day. Then by the next day I just told myself, it's over, that's it, no more cheat day, back to the diet, lost your chance for that thing you want right now.

It's great. So now even when I'm dieting, if I've been real good I might take just a really small spoon out of the ice cream. Helps me stay clean!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    That's why low-calorie diets fail for me. I find it SO much easier to eat more + exercise more, and I find that the exercise actually makes me feel less hungry. Any diet where you're feeling hungry and deprived all the time is not long-term sustainable. You need to get into the mindset of finding a way to be healthy for the rest of your life rather than conceptualizing a diet as this horrible thing you have to get through to lose weight before you can get back to eating the way that is "normal" for you.
  • ultimuttginge
    Options
    I do this too! I'm a boredom and stress eater and I can go for a while on a diet and then suddenly i just want to stuff my face! Normally it's sugary foods...chocolate, biscuits...I could eat an entire packet of Bourbon Biscuits given half a chance with a sugary cup of tea!

I get up and walk around the house when I'm about to gorge myself on food. Go up to the bedroom and look out of the window for a bit, or stand in the garden, or probably even easier if you can manage it is to not purchase anything you are likely to binge on. Works fine if you live alone but if you have a family or house mates it's not that simple granted.

Or use the blog on here?? You could do that? I've just thought of that, so I might try it myself next time I'm on the verge of a binge.
  • amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I actually just did this too this past weekend,with anniversary and birthdays I just told myself I would get back on track Monday and that kind of opened the door for the cake,junk food and donuts ( and whatever else I could get my hands on) totally went out of control,and I paid for it dearly,along with gaining weight I also felt so bloated and slow I could barely work out,it's like an endless cycle,I think the trick is to give into the urges a little to satisfy the craving but don't let the food control you! Good luck!!
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Important to address - why do you binge?

Many of us on this site have the same problem - but we may have different reasons.

Are you eating too little or eating empty foods that don't satisfy you? Are you eating infrequently so you are starving by your next meal? If so, take a look at how many calories you regularly consume. Considering increasing it gradually - while staying under maintenance cals. Look at the composition of your food. Do you get enough fat, protein, and fiber? Are you drinking enough water? Consider eating more meals of fewer calories. I eat every three hours so that I never feel starving.

Is it emotional? Do your binges happen when you are bored or stressed? I eat to avoid dealing with my real issues. After I've eaten that large combo, I can feel crappy about having eaten that large combo instead of what is really bugging me. Find your emotional triggers and proactively do something else. Had a rough day? Schedule a pedicure with a friend. Go to a yoga class. Hit and kick stuff in a martial arts course. Bored? Take up photography. Or cycling. Or line dancing. Or volunteer with a local non-profit.

I'm getting better - but some days I still need to just EAT. I try to make my binges less harmful. I'll make homemade sweet potato chips. Tons of salt and then I dip them in Sriratcha. WAY over my daily sodium limit and sometimes over on cals - but it keeps me from eating the whole bag (or two) of store bought fried chips.

I'm not perfect. I still have crap days. But by finding my triggers, I binge less frequently.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I used to do this to myself ALL the time. So I stopped restricting myself with "diets" as far as low carb, low fat, don't eat this...etc and now I don't have issues with mental or physical cravings to sabotage myself.

It's easier to plan into your calorie budget whatever you want to eat if you aren't denying yourself entire food groups. Don't beat yourself up about it though...just track and start fresh. :)
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have always been a "big eater" snacking and seconds although I do not have a very sweet tooth, I can munch through biscuits and ice cream.

The success that I had this time in losing is not to make any food "banned" If it is off limits then I crave it. If I build in snacks I find it helps keeps me on track. If the road you are trying to walk is very narrow then you are going to fall off the path. If you make the path wider then easier to stay on track.

Don't be too hard on yourself, you just need a 500 cal deficit from maintenance. You can find room in that for the odd drink, even treats.

Relax, this is the long haul not a sprint.
  • Jami_A
    Jami_A Posts: 19
    Options
    I do this. Not sure why. But I noticed a few months ago that when I got super strict & had no fun foods , it made things worse for me. It was like when I was a kid, my mom would tell me not to touch something. I would have to touch it , regardless of the consequences.
    Food is the same way. If I am insanely strict & tell myself that I can't have something , I loose my mind & binge.

I wish I had advice, but really all I know to do is take it one meal at a time. I try to have one day a week where I can eat what I am craving, but that does not always work. Friday is usually my "off" day & I ate enough calories for 2 people. Stress is a trigger for my binge eating & Friday was pure HELL. I am still having an issue getting back on track.
    I agree with the others though & see if you can figure out your trigger. (Stress, being bored , etc)
  • MsStang02
    MsStang02 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I hear you. That was a HUGE challenge for me in the beginning. I still battle it, but it is a battle that I am winning more and more.
    I am a big sugar fan. Cake, cookies, candy, etc. I could eat it for every meal, and for every snack.
    However, transitioning into this new lifestyle, I have made some adjustments.
    I eat more during the day. When I first started off, I had to have some kind of fruit, a lot more than veggies, at every meal, and snack. Yes, fruit does tend to carry a lot of sugar. But it was better for me than that Snickers bar. AND it also helped to curb my sugar craving.(Kind of a mind trick) It took about a month, but I am to the point now where I really do not crave sweets anymore. I am satisfied with lean protiens and VEGGIES!! And when I do eat a treat, it is not as satisfying as it once was.
    Hang in there. You cannot change your eating habits overnight. I agree with previous responses to not beat yourself up about it. We ALL struggle with it. One day is NOT going to derail your progress. Just be sure to log it and review it. You will binge less as time goes on. And then when you do have days when you treat yourself and have a "5000 calorie day", you will be able to move past it and pick up where you left off without feeling the guilt. You cannot deprive yourself of what you want. Just have to learn how to enjoy it in moderation. It is a learning experience. Your going to do just great!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I have problems with binge eating - emotional / when I'm upset or bored... but I'm taking stress management supplements and the problem has subsided.
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options
    I used to do this to myself ALL the time. So I stopped restricting myself with "diets" as far as low carb, low fat, don't eat this...etc and now I don't have issues with mental or physical cravings to sabotage myself.

It's easier to plan into your calorie budget whatever you want to eat if you aren't denying yourself entire food groups. Don't beat yourself up about it though...just track and start fresh. :)

QFT! Great post!
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    That's why low-calorie diets fail for me. I find it SO much easier to eat more + exercise more, and I find that the exercise actually makes me feel less hungry. Any diet where you're feeling hungry and deprived all the time is not long-term sustainable. You need to get into the mindset of finding a way to be healthy for the rest of your life rather than conceptualizing a diet as this horrible thing you have to get through to lose weight before you can get back to eating the way that is "normal" for you.

This! Diets fail. Changes in the way we relate to food and long term change should be the goal. Eat what you want, when you want, just use portion control. If you deprive yourself, your body is going to rebel. Just my opinion, of course.