How Much Should I Eat??

Options
I'm 20 years old. 6"4' and 100 Kg's

I exercise on a moderate level. I currently limit myself to 1700 Calories but I heard men can eat as low as 1500.

Should I drop down to 1500 or even 1600??

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    use MFP. set your weight loss goal to 1lb per week and eat back exercise calories.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    use MFP. set your weight loss goal to 1lb per week and eat back exercise calories.

Yes sounds very good. Do that.
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I ran your numbers and it came out to this, do what you will with it.
    I used 1.4 as your activity level.
    "Mifflin-St Jeor
    (FOR MEN)" BMR 2,078
    Maintenance 2,910
    Cut (@ 15%) 2,473
    Cut (@ 20%) 2,328
    Build (@ 15%) 3,346
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    eat big, train big
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Should I drop down to 1500 or even 1600??

No!!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    You should probably NOT go below 2000. More like 2400-2600 for weight loss, a lot more if you'd like to retain your muscle.

WHY do people think starvation and deprivation is the way to go?

I am 5'2" 118 and female. I eat 2000 a day.

You're a male and double my size literally...do you think you should be eating LESS than me?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Eat correctly - at 6'4" your minimum should be above 2100 unless you are looking for an emaciated look. That's already a cut. It is for me - and I'm 6' and 190lbs.

So probably anything from 2300 to 2600 is still a cut.

Train hard.
  • JordanK7593
    JordanK7593 Posts: 47
    Options
    Okay great! Thanks so much for your replies everyone??

So you think I should go UP to 2000???? Can't I maintain doing 1700??? I wouldn't feel very comfortable having 2300 a day.

Just saying, is 2 lb really the MAX i should lose in a week? Why can't I lose 3 lb??

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

So you think I should go UP to 2000???? Can't I maintain doing 1700??? I wouldn't feel very comfortable having 2300 a day.

Just saying, is 2 lb really the MAX i should lose in a week? Why can't I lose 3 lb??

The issue is that you want to lose just fat, not muscle. You can only lose a certain amount of fat at a time (based on how much fat reserve you have) and if you cut too many calories you'll start to lose muscle too. Your muscles are what make you look good naked and they're difficult to rebuild once lost. Best to do everything you can to keep them while you're losing weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

It should be more like 1lb max for you. You are tall and have little to lose. Aiming for 2-3 lbs means you will just lose muscle instead of fat. So do you want fat loss or weight loss?

I am 5'11, 30 yr old, 190lbs (only have a few more lbs to get the six pack) and I eat 2500 calories. Based on your stats, you should around 2800 calories.
  • JordanK7593
    Options
    Okay no probs,

I do have a fair bit of a fat reserve (mainly stomach fat) and I want this gone..

Don't really care about muscle.. I'm more of a cardio :P
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

start to care.... skinny fat is NOT a good look on ANYONE
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Okay no probs,

I do have a fair bit of a fat reserve (mainly stomach fat) and I want this gone..

Aside from making you look good naked your muscles also help you burn more calories. I think you're going to regret it if you don't preserve what you have. Often people get to their goal weight only to discovered that they still are not happy with their body. The reason is often that they still have high body fat despite losing weight. It's your body, so it's your call of course, but that's my two cents.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Eat like a boss, train like a boss, your what 220 lbs (sorry im not good with kg) ... Eat alot lift alot of heavy weight and build some muscle.
  • JordanK7593
    Options
    okay so your saying eat 2000 and continue to train hard??? Is it okay If i stay on cardio???

I just googled skinny fat.. no thanks! Is 2000 okay????
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    okay so your saying eat 2000 and continue to train hard??? Is it okay If i stay on cardio???

I just googled skinny fat.. no thanks! Is 2000 okay????

You can do some cardio but weight lifting will make you look better naked.

2k at a MINIMUM. But you might need more than that.
  • agggie550
    Options
    Skinny Fat is some made up body type for people that are out shape like to use to explain why they have no mass on their arms and a spare tire ... Cardio (aka running, biking, swimming, all involves and will build muscle) ... Weight lifting will also build muscle, and muscle burns more calories a day, so you are actually looking for muscle regardless of what kind of exercise you are doing.

and 2000 Calories is fine, i Eat above 3200 a day, on a good day I can take in close to 4000 and still maintain my weight. Under feeding yourself does not make the weight loss process any easier, its a slow race, not a sprint.
  • JordanK7593
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I'm gonna up my intake to 2000!!!!

I love the cardio side but I barely do weights or strength. I don't really know how to start or what to do??? Do you guys have any beginner strength workouts to build muscle????

• LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I'm gonna up my intake to 2000!!!!

I love the cardio side but I barely do weights or strength. I don't really know how to start or what to do??? Do you guys have any beginner strength workouts to build muscle????

Stronglifts 5x5 stronglifts.com

Starting Strength
  • agggie550
    Options
    If meeting with a Trainer is and option I would say start there... but if not bodybuilding.com has 100s of workouts that you can pick and choose from based on what you are trying to do. Good luck.