Yoga.....for a beginner

Options
I tend to workout on average 5 days of the week, usually a cardio workout or weight/strength, however I am really interested in starting Yoga for days that I may want more of a relaxing workout and to focus on stretching my muscles and becoming more flexible.
My gym has lots of yoga classes but most of them are more advanced ones where I would hate to be the newbie and the beginners classes are not at a time that would suit me. Does anyone know of a good yoga DVD or something that could allow me to try this out myself and work up to going to a class when I can?

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of good yoga.

Edit to add: There's plenty of stuff on youtube if you want a bash at it.

I recommend this http://youtu.be/2jFj_RL5QvM?t=2m5s
    *CONTAINS ADULT MATERIAL*
  • Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have been doing yoga videos on YouTube. It is hard to find the right level, right style etc... You can also look at Comcast on demand if you have that. As for buying a DVD, I have not purchased any but was thinking I need once I find an instructor that I enjoy.
  • abibt
    abibt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Try 'do yoga with me.com' - there are tons of free classes, different styles and different levels of difficulty. I like Sadie Nardini also - she does some beginner classes on you tube that give you more body toning than gentler styles. And there is a MFP yoga group full of people more knowledgable than me!
  • sarahf3092
    sarahf3092 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Try 'do yoga with me.com' - there are tons of free classes, different styles and different levels of difficulty. I like Sadie Nardini also - she does some beginner classes on you tube that give you more body toning than gentler styles. And there is a MFP yoga group full of people more knowledgable than me!

Thanks ill have a look at this site and search Sadie on you tube! Don't want to go spending money on something I wouldnt def enjoy
  • jesdemers
    jesdemers Posts: 8
    Options
    Yes! Shiva Rea is amazing!
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    just go to a class and tell the teacher you are a beginner, all yoga poses can be modified to suit skill level.
  • succubaeangel
    Options
    I like:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brQXWqlI_NQ

Easy and the teacher is very calming.
  • chillmcgren
    chillmcgren Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I really love Yogaworks BodySlim. When I bought it, it came with a Beginner Yoga with an AM and PM workout. The beginner workout is a good place to start. Both DVD's also have a tutorial section where they break stuff down.
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    just go to a class and tell the teacher you are a beginner, all yoga poses can be modified to suit skill level.

This

It's easy to have your form wrong and a class will help that. Everyone in yoga is concentrating on their poses. Don't worry about what you look like. Everyone starts some where. You can still do the pose maybe just not as deep at first but a couple of classes in you will notice an improvement.
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    There really isn't beginners yoga. All yoga positions are the same, you just improve with time and at your own pace- for example, if you do a forward bend but can't touch your toes, that's absolutely fine; you will improve as you go along. The first time you get your chin on your shins is quite satisfying :wink:

Any class or video that doesn't explain or demonstrate how the position might look when you start really isn't worth following.

If you're in a PAL region, you might try Barbara Currie (I like Power Yoga and 7 Secrets of Yoga). Both of these have advanced yoga practitioners, but they show you what you might call a "beginners" position. They also show many small exercises to focus on increasing flexibility in common problem joints, like hips.
  • meidie1980
    meidie1980 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options

This

It's easy to have your form wrong and a class will help that. Everyone in yoga is concentrating on their poses. Don't worry about what you look like. Everyone starts some where. You can still do the pose maybe just not as deep at first but a couple of classes in you will notice an improvement.

That is fine in theory but it didn't work for me. The instructor was OK but the rest of the people in the class were horrid. I could see them looking down their noses at me, pointing and laughing at my attempts. I didn't get one sinlge friendly word of encouragement from any of them. After the third week of that I just gave up and went back to aquafit instead.
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

This

That is fine in theory but it didn't work for me. The instructor was OK but the rest of the people in the class were horrid. I could see them looking down their noses at me, pointing and laughing at my attempts. I didn't get one sinlge friendly word of encouragement from any of them. After the third week of that I just gave up and went back to aquafit instead.

I have to admit that this is why I've never gone to classes. When I was at the height of my yoga practice (about 7 years ago, before a major injury) my friend and I were discussing our progress, as she attended regular classes. When she saw how much more "advanced" I was, she was quite upset and got very catty about it- and that just wasn't, and still isn't, what I want with my yoga.
  • AlysaN
    AlysaN Posts: 11
    Options
    http://www.doyogawithme.com/

This site isn't bad for doing some videos at home. Especially if you hook your laptop up the the TV. I really struggle with exercise. I do NOT like cardio. I hope this helps.
  • RunEatLift
    RunEatLift Posts: 68
    Options
    You can sign up for a 15 day free trail on yogaglo.com - there loads of videos - all different styles of yoga for different levels of yogi. After the first 15 days just remember to cancel the membership!
    Alternatively there's videos on Youtube which are great - I quite like Tara Stiles videos :)
  • lakishamcquany
    lakishamcquany Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    alt ides, there are some really good yoga conditioning dvd's out there to help with strength training!
  • jodie_t
    jodie_t Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Have a look at the best rated beginners yoga DVDs on Amazon.. buy a few, the ones u don't get on with u can re-sell.
  • sarahf3092
    sarahf3092 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the ideas!! Will try them out and see what I enjou the most :)

Totally agree with some of the comments on classes though.....i could laugh if I was with someone about my lack of ability to do moves but would feel a little intimidated by the regulars
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options

This

I have to admit that this is why I've never gone to classes. When I was at the height of my yoga practice (about 7 years ago, before a major injury) my friend and I were discussing our progress, as she attended regular classes. When she saw how much more "advanced" I was, she was quite upset and got very catty about it- and that just wasn't, and still isn't, what I want with my yoga.

That is really sad. My class is super helpful. We laugh together and cheer on the person who just did their first headstand etc. every newcomer is introduced to those around them. My first day I was nervous by the end I knew I was coming back for more. I wish people didn't have to suck and ruin it for others :angry:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    That is really sad. My class is super helpful. We laugh together and cheer on the person who just did their first headstand etc. every newcomer is introduced to those around them. My first day I was nervous by the end I knew I was coming back for more. I wish people didn't have to suck and ruin it for others :angry:

This. I've never been to a class where people weren't supportive and friendly.