frozen meals

what do we think about frozen meals? for exsample weight watches?
are they bad? should i avoid them?
opions appreciated ! :)

Replies

• BrittanyGQ
    BrittanyGQ Posts: 92 Member
    I think they're okay if you're pressed for time, but they get expensive and you gotta watch for that sodium!! Plus you can make your own food that will probably be healthier and more substantial. Try making a big batch of food in a crock pot and sticking the individual servings in tupperware...easy peasy!
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    If it's the difference between me eating pizza etc with hubby or throwing a frozen dinner in the microwave, I'll take the dinner.
    You'll see them pop up on my diary occasionally. I buy. Aldi international cuisine and try to have a couple in the freezer for when there is no healthy left overs and emergencies.
    They are high in salt so an occasional food.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    I eat them sometimes. It depends on if I'm pressed for time in the morning & take one to work for lunch. As long as it fits in your calories it should be ok. Watch your sodium since some of those meals can be fairly high.

My favorite frozen meal is Red's All Natural Pulled Pork Quesadillas . They're delicious.
  • lakishamcquany
    lakishamcquany Posts: 17 Member
    I've not eaten one in years but I do agree with thenewbritt it really is worth eating fresh as much as possible, less preservatives and sodium and you'll be able to eat a lot more fresh if you ever feel hungry.
    :smokin:
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    I guess they're okay if you only do it occasionally. They're quite high in sodium and low in nutrients, compared to most homecooked food. What you could also do is just always cook double batches and then freezing half for your own frozen meals.
    Homemade food tastes way better anyways ;).
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    I have one a week and really enjoy them and they are super convenient. I am at maintenance now and I ate them all throughout my weightloss journey. You just have to watcht he sodium. When I eat one I try to make sure the rest of the day my food isn't high in sodium or I try to eat things with potassium to counteract the sodium.
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    I used to eat them but would find I was hungry again soon after. They never filled me up or felt like a meal so Id end up eating more that day. Id prefer to make my own meals and put them in the freezer for lazy days
  • JanePerkins
    JanePerkins Posts: 16 Member
    They can be high in sodium and you could retain water.. but just add some lemon to your water :)
  • fat_harrie
    fat_harrie Posts: 59 Member
    I used them practically nearly everyday due to work, I'm an outreach adviser so have them just thrown in my bag with my laptop and wait to see if I get a shance to stop!

The best ones are Tesco light choices, I know this sounds wierd but they have the taste and consistency to confirm that they were once fresh food, (i.e. mexican chilli has a sprinkle if diced peppers on the top and they crunch and taste like peppers!)

Weight watchers tends to be a bit sneaky... some of thier meals are ok but are really high in sugar and sodium, and the ones that are not too high, tend to be tasteless gunk.

Anything with potao seems to be an odd experience to eat the same if it has any meat other than chicken (even this is questionable!) Veggie stuff seems to be the best choice and this is coming from a hard core carnivore! It mostly comes from trial and error and there are days when I really don't care what it tastes like, I've just eating it to put something in my stomach till lunch time.

Sainsburys salads, if bought first thing in the morning provide a nice lunch (just remember to pack a fork) advoid all supermarket sandwiches (Tescos in the city may just about be passable... Just) and if you are buying fresh, try to do it on the way into work in the morning.

Good luck and may the fork be with you
    X
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    I agree with the other person say that they're okay when you're pressed for time. I don't see the problem in them. There is a lot of hidden salt and sugar in some of these, but there is no problem if you don't intend to eat them every single day!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    I sometimes buy them if on special offer, I like them because they are calorie counted, and as others have said, convenience can be a factor

I only buy the fresh / chilled ones, and freeze them myself if needed, I do not buy frozen as never find them on offer

Generally prefer own cooked from scratch, but there is a place for convenience at times
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Just read the lables. The ones that say 20% Sodium look real good until you see it is 3 servings.

I do a lot of frozen food because of my job and kids.... I don't care what others feel about processed food, if it fits into my Calorie and Micro goals it is ok.
  • fat_harrie
    fat_harrie Posts: 59 Member
    Thank god! I was starting to feel like the only one that did use them! Many thanks/\
    X