Please tell me it's just water retention!!!

Options
So, yesterday morning after a hard run the night before I was up .5 lbs. I ran again last night, but not as hard, and had some dill pickles for a snack before bed. Low in cals but high in sodium of course. So, I got on the scales this morning and it showed me to have gained 2.5 lbs since Monday!!! There is no way possible it's actual pounds! It's water, right? When will the scale go back down? When I see the scale go up I feel so defeated regardless!

Replies

• kerry2509
    kerry2509 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    would you not just pick one day and weigh yourself at the exact time every week? I have seen differences in 4-5 pounds during week, especially when you are exercising..... weighing more than once a week will wreck your head!
  • Denise8P
    Denise8P Posts: 23
    Options
    The same thing happens to me, and I also get frustrated. On Saturday I was up .6 pounds and Monday down 1.6 .... and did nothing different in between. I try not to weigh myself more than once a week for that reason. Its true the body fluctuates for no apparent reason, but it sucks seeing the numbers go up when you've been really good!

As long as you are hitting your calorie goal, not under-eating like crazy, and are exercising the pounds WILL come off though. Try to focus on the positives, like how well you are eating and treating your body compared to before in the meantime :)
  • Lori0534
    Lori0534 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I know I should only weigh once a week. I have become a little overly obsessed and you are right it jacks my head up! Thanks for the input!
  • kerry2509
    kerry2509 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    in saying that ,i also hopped on scales today when i shouldnt have and saw a gain but i know it will be gone by saturday!! i hope :)
  • SparkyinOhio
    Options
    Isn't it frustrating!!!! I had lost 40 lbs, but now the scale is going UP! up by 6 lbs! I am still exercising and staying at or under 1200 calories. I am doing everything I am suppose to do. People keep telling me it's muscle and I am retaining water. May be I am, but it's still very frustrating. Yes, we all feel defeated regardless of the HARD WORK we are putting into this effort.
  • MrsMac927
    MrsMac927 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    anything high in sodium is going to make you retain water. So will some medicatins - I am taking allergy meds and antibiotics and have been told both will make you retain water! drink more water!
  • Lori0534
    Options
    Thanks for the comments!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's just fluid retention. I gain about 3 pounds after breakfast and exercise. Fluid retention is not a bad thing for a healthy body. I cut my sodium way back and when I had blood work done, my sodium level was slightly below recommended levels. My doctor told me to increase my sodium intake because the sodium helps to attract water, which in turn cushions our cells.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I know I should only weigh once a week. I have become a little overly obsessed and you are right it jacks my head up! Thanks for the input!

The flip side to weighing once a week is what if this was your day?!?!? Wouldn't that bum you out for the week?

If you can handle it mentally weigh every day first thing. Chart your weight and learn from these fluctuations. Next time you see a spike after a hard workout and eating pickles you will KNOW it is from water. :wink: (and it is)

Just 2 cents worth from a daily weigher.
  • jsbieniek
    jsbieniek Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue. Two Saturdays ago (my "official" weigh in) I was at 191. Very excited close to finally getting out of the 190's. That Tuesday I was 188.8, hooray, I had made it. Haven't been out of the 190's since. And I've been hitting my workouts and keeping my calories on track. Unfortunately, those calories included some pizza and some alcohol. I am sure it's water retention and not fat but it isn't making me feel any better. So I am taking a friend's advice, avoiding the alcohol and sodium for the next two weeks and hiding my scales! Hopefully in 2 weeks I will be amazed!
  • Lori0534
    Options

The flip side to weighing once a week is what if this was your day?!?!? Wouldn't that bum you out for the week?

If you can handle it mentally weigh every day first thing. Chart your weight and learn from these fluctuations. Next time you see a spike after a hard workout and eating pickles you will KNOW it is from water. :wink: (and it is)

Just 2 cents worth from a daily weigher.

I do like this too! This is actually the second time I have noticed I am up on the scales after eating pickles! So, it's good I weighed! Probably didn't help that I dipped them in mustard too hahahahhahaa!