Please Get me some Cheese To Go with this WHINE

Options
I'm usually a fairly positive person but I've been in a bad mood for about a week and I'd like to take it out on all you guys with a rant/whine.

LOSING WEIGHT IS EFFING TEDIOUS!

Especially if

... you're not being drastic about it.
.... you don't have a huge cut in calories.
... you don't work out nearly as much as you should.
... you've done it all before only to have gained it back.
... you want to stop being fat YESTERDAY!
... you look in the mirror every day hoping for changes.

This concludes my rant. Thank you.

Replies

• IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    You seem a bit overwhelmed. Try smaller goals. You may consider making "the process" a lifestyle instead of a temporary situation that you can't wait to end. Ultimately it's your relationship with food that must change. Drastic changes are doomed to failure. Baby steps at first. Get some momentum going then march boldly forward and make it look easy. You've got to live with yourself in your current state every day so find ways to enjoy what you're doing. Make a game of it. Be a child again living in the moment as if it were forever. It'll be yesterday far too soon.
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I will respectfully say you've got it all wrong. It's tedious because I've been at this for a year already. I've got over 120 pounds to lose, so while I've lost 40 pounds, it's only just a drop in the bucket. It is my lifestyle at this point, but doing it the right way is very, very slow and I'm still -- what's the clinical term? "Morbidly obese".
  • autumny70
    autumny70 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    A little whine is okay now and again. You had a fab vacation! Chin up! You're doing great!!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    A little whine is okay now and again. You had a fab vacation! Chin up! You're doing great!!
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I feel like I've hit a plateau now, but hopefully this will pass.

Feel free to add me as a friend. It's always great to try to support others in their goals.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I feel like I've hit a plateau now, but hopefully this will pass.

Feel free to add me as a friend. It's always great to try to support others in their goals.

I just recently broke a 7 month plateau. It SUCKS! Best of luck to you!
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I just keep reminding myself that I didn't gain it all in a day so I can't expect it to come off that quickly. Personally, I drive myself crazy constantly looking in the mirror wanting to see changes. I need to hide all my mirrors and scales or a few weeks.. haha
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Getting stalled out SUCKS. I know. I think I have tried just about everything, upper my cals, lowering them, more cardio, less cardio. Heavy lifting... The only thing I have yet to try is a personal trainer.

I just keep telling myself... you will have to eventually see results.. If your working hard.. how can you not?

cheesewine.jpg
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    On the plus side, you've found a zero calorie whine.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Your whine is much more coherent than mine is... which usually goes something like "rarrrghhhgrarblemrrrrrrghhhhhh"
  • sugarandspice27
    Options
    I'm not stalled, I'm making slow, steady progress. It's just EFFING SLOW.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same way. EXACTLY!!!!! Every single one of those little whines applies to me too. Arg.
  • SmileyJ23
    SmileyJ23 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hey :) Mine is slow too. SLOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW and more slow on top of that. And of course I do lift, I do eat small meals, i do HIIT workouts, and I do feed my body adequately. all in efforts to boost metabolism and speed up the process just a little. BUT it has not. So I promised to love myself every step of this journey and respect that my body just wants to take its time. I have days where I feel down about it, especially when you are surrounded by others who are having incredibly amazing losses and transformations before my eyes (who started after me well after me) This October will be my 2 years in. But I haven't quit yet. And Im just going to keep pressing on and try to stay encouraged. Big hugs to you because I know those feelings all to well.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Hey,

With the utmost respect... What are you expecting if you're not going to:

... Be drastic about it.
    .... Make a cut in your calories.
    ... Work out nearly as much as you should.

I agree it's tedious, but I also agree with the first reply, it's a lifestyle change, not something you can do for a certain amount of time and then wake up the next day and say, 'Yay, I finished!'.

Obviously I can't speak for everyone, but I had an awesome time putting weight on, but it's the consequence that I'm now dealing with and I don't expect it to fall off as easily as it 'fell on'.

Good luck, though, 40lbs is an amazing achievement.
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    TEDIOUS?? You've got that right! :grumble:

There are days when I can take it all in stride -- and there are days I just want to throw in the towel, pick up the phone, and order Chinese! I want to be free of the restrictions. But facts are facts: eat $50 worth of Chinese food and the pants ain't gonna fit. :mad:
    So I'll stick with my order of egg drop soup and chicken wings and feel good about myself.

I whine about it too. No problem with occasional whines - just as long as they are kept short and we move forward! :flowerforyou:

Chin up!! You've got control - no one else!

Mary
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Hey,

With the utmost respect... What are you expecting if you're not going to:

... Be drastic about it.
    .... Make a cut in your calories.
    ... Work out nearly as much as you should.

I agree it's tedious, but I also agree with the first reply, it's a lifestyle change, not something you can do for a certain amount of time and then wake up the next day and say, 'Yay, I finished!'.

Obviously I can't speak for everyone, but I had an awesome time putting weight on, but it's the consequence that I'm now dealing with and I don't expect it to fall off as easily as it 'fell on'.

Good luck, though, 40lbs is an amazing achievement.

This....mostly. I don't find it tedious, though. I feel very happy with the food I eat and really look forward to my daily exercise. I don't see this whole thing as a process with a definite start and end, but really it's just a new way of existing for me.

I had to make changes to get healthy--I was morbidly obese, dealing with health issues related to that, and I just felt like crap all the time. I had to change the way I was eating and the amount of food...and I had to become much more active. It seemed annoying in the abstract, but when I actually got into a "groove" of eating properly and exercising, it wasn't annoying or overwhelming at all.

I quite like it, to be honest. It's wonderful for me to spend this much time taking care of myself when I didn't for such a long time.

I have goals that are related to body composition and strength, but when I achieve one, I make another. It's not something I want to be over, at all.
  • mcibty
    Options
    [quote
  • mcibty
    Options
    @Lupercalia That's a huge positive step, well done. My friends ask how I can be bothered to go to the gym as much as I do, or why I'll have a water instead of beer when we go out, but it just becomes part of the routine once you get over the tedium hump.
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I love the title of your rant! May I suggest a gouda, blue, or plain old chedda will do the trick :grumble:
  • sugarandspice27
    Options
    Hey :) Mine is slow too. SLOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW and more slow on top of that. And of course I do lift, I do eat small meals, i do HIIT workouts, and I do feed my body adequately. all in efforts to boost metabolism and speed up the process just a little. BUT it has not. So I promised to love myself every step of this journey and respect that my body just wants to take its time. I have days where I feel down about it, especially when you are surrounded by others who are having incredibly amazing losses and transformations before my eyes (who started after me well after me) This October will be my 2 years in. But I haven't quit yet. And Im just going to keep pressing on and try to stay encouraged. Big hugs to you because I know those feelings all to well.

You get it! Big *hugs* and way to go for hanging in there and doing things right. Even if you haven't lost much weight, I'm sure your physical health has improved drastically from before this process.

I agree; it's VERY DIFFICULT to see other people speeding past you while we just troddle along, shaving off a few ounces here and there. Kudos on your longevity in spite of that.