Ezekiel Bread

Options
Hello - My nutritionist is strongly recommending Ezekiel bread and english muffins. I have both and frankly, I don't like the taste. They are barely tolerable with peanut or almond butter. Do any of you have any suggestions for me? What else can I do to mask the taste and texture?

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I've never had Ezekiel bread, but I do buy 100% whole wheat English muffins. I only like them if I toast them - it gives them a much softer and less "bready" texture. I generally eat them with an egg and a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    If you don't like them, don't eat them.
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Have you tried them toasted?
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

Exactly. Ezekiel breads are pretty dense and low in sodium so less flavor. Just try other breads til you find one you like. Read the ingredients and try to find breads that have 100% whole grains & not a bunch of ingredients you can't read. The list really should be minimal. Look for high fiber & protein, they will help keep you full longer than regular white breads.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Yes, I toast them. Definitely going to try with egg and cheese.
  • howardheilweil
    Options

Exactly. Ezekiel breads are pretty dense and low in sodium so less flavor. Just try other breads til you find one you like. Read the ingredients and try to find breads that have 100% whole grains & not a bunch of ingredients you can't read. The list really should be minimal. Look for high fiber & protein, they will help keep you full longer than regular white breads.

Thanks and yes, that's why she had suggested the ezekiel.
  • calculustiger
    Options
    Have you tried their cinnamon raisin bread? In my opinion, it adds a lot of flavor.
  • Godblessedmom
    Godblessedmom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I only liked Ezekiel bread toasted. I put either peanut butter on it or cut up a hard boiled egg. They are very filling, but after a while I did not mind it. English muffins are great with low calorie jelly/jam. Breakfast sandwiches with egg, cheese, and a meat are great as well, but of course more calories. On the other hand, if you really don't like them ask your nutritionist for a different substitute.

Good luck!
  • mangozulu
    mangozulu Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The Vermont Bread Company puts out a good product. There are plenty of other bread makers that make great bread. You should be able to find a local, artisanal bakery that makes a healthful loaf that tastes great. Ezekiel, for some reason, elicits almost a cult like following. I would question such brand loyalty in a professional 'nutritionist'. Food should be pleasurable to eat as well as healthful. What you want from whole grain breads is vitamins, minerals, fiber, a little bit of protein, flavor, texture and chew or mouthfeel. That can be achieved by eating other brands that you find palatable.
  • hatkinson87
    hatkinson87 Posts: 42
    Options
    Hello - My nutritionist is strongly recommending Ezekiel bread and english muffins. I have both and frankly, I don't like the taste. They are barely tolerable with peanut or almond butter. Do any of you have any suggestions for me? What else can I do to mask the taste and texture?

The taste is kind of hard to get used to at first, but I eat my Ezekiel bread with a fried egg on top and sometimes a low fat cheese. It's a great way to start my morning. Lately I've been toasting a slice and putting some homemade almond butter on it for breakfast.

As other people have said, if you don't like the taste don't eat it. There are plenty of other breads that would be comparable to Ezekiel bread. If you have a Trader Joe's nearby you can check to see what they have that would be close to it (that's where I get mine and I saw they had a lot of other choices that were like Ezekiel bread).
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I am not a huge fan of the bread but love the tortillas.. maybe you can try those and use them as a wrap for whatever you are eating the morning? One of my husband's favorite breakfast is a breakfast "burrito" - Ezekiel tortilla, natural PB, org granola, org banana slices & org strawberry slices rolled up.

If you are looking for something with few ingredients, organic and NON-GMO verified - I recommend Udi's breads. Not sure if they have english muffins, but perhaps..
  • keithf1138
    keithf1138 Posts: 63
    Options
    My Family loves Ezekial Bread. We get http://www.foodforlife.com/ from Trader Joes. We have 3 boys (17, 15, and 11) and the Ezekial bread has been the easiest high nutrition bread to get them to eat.

Cant say that I have ever tried it untoasted. My snack when I get home is one slice toasted with some peanut butter.
  • howardheilweil
    Options
    Thank you all for your tips!:drinker: