how long should I wait after eating to run?

Options
JessiJean
JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
I really want to know what a good time to wait is. I just ate a big lunch of rice, beans, lentils veggies ect. Should I wait 30 minutes or is it cool to run now?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    unless I eat something like yogurt or a little bit of fruit, if I run any sooner than 1 1/2 hrs, I feel like I have a brick in my stomach.
    But probably everyone's time to wait varies.
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I htink if you feel fine enough to run, the go for it! I usually hit the elliptical within an hour after eating and it's fine by me. Then again if I feel really full, I'll wait longer.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I'd wait until your food processes. Nothing worse then being out on a run and having to find a bathroom. :embarassed:
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd wait at least 1.5 hours or longer. If I try to run on a full belly, I too feel like there's a brick in my tummy and get cramps!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the person. My husband has to wait 3 hours and I only have to wait 30 minutes. You don't know until you try. I document what I try in my running journal and make a note of how I feel. Then I don't have to re-invent it each time something changes.
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    I have to leave it a few hours (3 at least) after a big meal or I get a terrible stitch. I can manage a yogurt an hour before but thats about it. I don't even drink much in the hour before. This keeps me stitch free if I'm going to push myself.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    two weeks.

(just kidding-- I never wait more than an hour)
  • JessiJean
    Options
    I'm gonna try 30 minutes and see how I feel. I am not stuffed so I don't think I would throw up :laugh:
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    def an hour with what u said u ate.

i wait 30 mins when i eat my banana and PB or toast and PB.
    well i dont "wait" i just eat before i get ready and stuff ... it works out well.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I have to wait 2 hours after I eat.
    When you eat (and during the digestion process) blood is pumped to the digestive tract to break it down and pull out the nutrients. When you work out, blood is pumped to your muscles. So you want to make sure they are not in major competition. I think that's why I feel so sick unless I wait.
    If you feel good and continue to feel good during your workout 30 minutes after eating...I say go for it. Your body will tell you if it's not right.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I would definitely wait until you've at least passed it. If I run within 45-minutes to an hour after eating, I feel SOOO weighted down. I tend to only run in the morning on an empty stomach. I'll be okay if I eat a banana right before though because it's light.
  • edgeno
    edgeno Posts: 9
    Options
    I been told to wait an hour
    I also been told that food stays in your stomach for two hours
  • JessiJean
    Options
    I waited 30 minutes and I felt fine doing a quick 20 minute run. My body must be used to running now, or my food moves quickly :laugh:
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    I have to wait 2 hours after I eat.

id be hungry again lol

i guess it depends on the person
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I really want to know what a good time to wait is. I just ate a big lunch of rice, beans, lentils veggies ect. Should I wait 30 minutes or is it cool to run now?

When your food is digesting, your heart is working harder and your blood is flowing quicker and this is one of the reasons why you should let your food go down first. Food remains in the stomach for between two and four hours, after this it goes onto other organs so that they can do "their bit".

I would never, ever run on a full stomach and I do not run until at least two hours after last eating. The worst I have done is to have a cup-a-soup and then run on the treadmill 40 minutes later. 30 minutes after last eating, ESPECIALLY as it was a big lunch is way too early, but its up to you, it's your heart.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    two weeks.

(just kidding-- I never wait more than an hour)

:laugh: strewth, can you imagine :laugh: :laugh: