Runners-at what point....

Options
I consider myself a fair weather runner. I'm up to 7 miles right now, and I'm at about 10.5 min/miles. My last half marathon was 2 years ago (one scheduled for Nov); my one and only full was 10 years ago. I run before work with a coworker who runs ultramarathons, in the rain, and in the cold. I won't run in the rain if it's less than 60, and I wont' run outside with her under 25. I consider her a true runner-it's a lifestyle and a hobby for her. She doesn't have kids, so she's able to go to bed by 7 or 8 each night. Whenever I'm asked at work if I run, I always caveat that I'm a fairweather runner (I'm usually with her when I'm asked)

So I'm curious, at what point do you consider yourself a "runner"?

Replies

• divinenanny
    divinenanny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I run. I am a runner ;)

No but, I started considering myself a runner when I finished 5K runner (like C25K) on the treadmill, bought 'real' shoes and started running outside. Looking at it through my old-self eyes, anybody who can run for a short while (more than a sprint) is a runner to me.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    That a curious one. I didn't consider myself a runner for years because I wasn't very fast, yet I'd happily say I was a snowboarder yet I wasn't that flash at that. It dawned on me one day that I board about ten days of the year but run somewhere around 150 days of the year. It's my main (ok, pretty much only) form of exercise so, yes, I'm a runner.
  • jessmarie1023
    jessmarie1023 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You are a runner when you get your butt out there and run! Clearly your ability to clear 7miles with a 10.5pace constitutes you being a runner.. Don't compare yourself to your friend. She's a runner too, just a different kind of runner.. you have runners that do 5ks only, 10k, halfs, full. etc.. I consider myself a runner and the longest race I've done is a quarter. So next time you are asked if you are a runner.. hold your head up proud and say Damn right I am!
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Back in 2006, when I first put on the running shoes, went out, and did my first slow mile, I considered myself a runner. Slow, weak, but still a runner.

Since then I've done a couple of 50 milers, marathons and more 5k races than I can count (which I'm best suited for). Won one 3k outright, have many age group trophies and medals. When I look back on 2006 and when I first put on those shoes, I still would say I was a runner back then. It's not the distance, pace, or placement - it's a mindset.

IMHO, i'd say you're a runner. However, if you feel like a "fair weather" runner, then that's OK too and you should feel free to consider yourself that. But I see you as a "runner" none-the-less.
  • chrissy10taylor
    Options
    "I AM A RUNNER, because I run. Not because I run fast. Not because I run far." My favorite quote.

If you run, you are a runner.

After running the Pittsburgh Half Marathon on Sunday, I am officially ... A RUNNER OF STEEL!
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    "I AM A RUNNER, because I run. Not because I run fast. Not because I run far." My favorite quote.

After running the Pittsburgh Half Marathon on Sunday, I am officially ... A RUNNER OF STEEL!

Big thumbs up! Congrats!
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Runners all do different things, like one of the previous posts. I do not run in the cold, cant will get sick or the rain. I also have kids can not run when I feel like it.
    I ran 6 miles last summer. And I run when I can, I do love it though.
    If you get out and do it. you are a runner.
    Stop comparing yourself, I have a friend who broke school records and is just amazing, but I don't discredit what I do. She is just at a different level.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

Keeping this quote for motivation and to remind myself that I am a runner. Sometimes I don't feel "good enough" when I'm running, but I need to remember that by running, I'm a runner and that's enough. Thank you. :flowerforyou:
  • TooLeftFeet
    TooLeftFeet Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thank you all :happy:
  • badbradclark
    badbradclark Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I consider myself a fair weather runner. I'm up to 7 miles right now, and I'm at about 10.5 min/miles. My last half marathon was 2 years ago (one scheduled for Nov); my one and only full was 10 years ago. I run before work with a coworker who runs ultramarathons, in the rain, and in the cold. I won't run in the rain if it's less than 60, and I wont' run outside with her under 25. I consider her a true runner-it's a lifestyle and a hobby for her. She doesn't have kids, so she's able to go to bed by 7 or 8 each night. Whenever I'm asked at work if I run, I always caveat that I'm a fairweather runner (I'm usually with her when I'm asked)

So I'm curious, at what point do you consider yourself a "runner"?

You are so a runner. Don't sell yourself short.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.
    - John "The Penguin" Bingham

Love that man!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I run. Therefore I am a runner.

I don't think we need a certain speed or number of miles in order to be considered a runner.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    I just ran my third half marathon on Sunday..I run in the rain, snow, heat (hate the heat!) and to be honest I just literally started calling myself a runner a month ago, when my avg pace went under 10 min miles...yet everyone would call me a runner, I just wouldn't call myself one. When people starting asking for my advice on running..I still didn't call myself a runner...

but I also NEVER ran until a 1.5 years ago, so it took me a long time to realize what I had become :)

That is just me.
  • angrystarlyt
    angrystarlyt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I considered myself a runner when I stopped thinking antagonistically about it. Instead of thinking how I wasn't fast enough, or couldn't run long enough, or how I only ran on treadmills, or whatever, I started looking forward to the experience itself of running. Speed & stamina came after my mental relationship with it relaxed.
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    This is funny... I haven't really considered myself a "runner" even though other people would. I just finished a half marathon on Sunday and run 4-5 days a week and still have a hard time calling myself a runner..
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I consider myself a guy who runs, but not a runner. I do about 3-4 miles 3-4 times a week.

"Runner" brings up images of people who like it, take it seriously, care about what's on (or not on) their feet, know something (anything) about running ... perhaps have a running goal ...

Kind of the same way I feel like riding a bike a few miles around the neighborhood makes me a guy who rides a bike, and not a cyclist.
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, anyone who runs consistently is a runner. If you have the determination and drive to push yourself forward and to get yourself out there...even if your fastest run is someone else's slowest jog...you're a runner.

It's about if you connect with how you feel when you're running. If it feels like more than "just another exercise"

I decided I was officially a runner when I had a bad day and said "eff it, going for a run"
  • eej23
    eej23 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.
    - John "The Penguin" Bingham

Love that man!

This is perfect!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    If you tell a non-runner you run 7 miles at a time, they'll consider you an ultra-runner! That's more than a 10k. The vast majority of the population thinks running 1 mile is far. Embrace your runner-ness. :bigsmile:
  • jenlipe
    jenlipe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am an unfair weather runner. I won't run when it is sunny and hits 75. Can't stand the heat. But have no problem running in the 30's.
    Last September I couldn't walk three miles. I ran a 1/2 marathon Sunday with only walking a one block segment. And I had to get new running shoes because I wore out the first pair. But it took me several months to feel like I was a runner. I am slow but I keep going.

The fact that you get up and run when you could sit at home. The fact that you want to run. The fact that even when it is hard, it is fun. All of that makes you a runner.