Yikes! I'm Gaining My Weight Back Fast!

Options
Hey guys...In 2012 I lost around 160 lbs with the help of My Fitness Pal. After maintaining my weight for 3 months I stopped logging for a couple of months. I hopped on the scale and almost died when I saw that I had gone from 165 lbs to 180 lbs in just 2 months. I didn't even know it was possible to gain weight that fast. What the heck?!?!?

Replies

• beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Have your eating habits changed? It might be hard to know if you have stopped logging.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You can probably consider some (maybe even half) of that as water weight - due to sodium, glycogen refilling etc.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    When you lost all your weight, how many calories where you eating? Also, did you slowly add calories back or just jump right into a higher calorie diet?
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Totally possible if you went back to eating the way you were when you weighed 320.
  • Destinee704
    Destinee704 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hey guys...In 2012 I lost around 160 lbs with the help of My Fitness Pal. After maintaining my weight for 3 months I stopped logging for a couple of months. I hopped on the scale and almost died when I saw that I had gone from 165 lbs to 180 lbs in just 2 months. I didn't even know it was possible to gain weight that fast. What the heck?!?!?

I know exactly how you feel. I've haven't been eating right or exercising since the beginning of April and realize I've gained 15 lbs. My feelings were hurt, but I am back at it and lost 7 lbs of it so far and gonna go for more. You can do it! Just get back on track and keep focused. We are in it to win it!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    So many possible reasons, so little information to go on.

For what it's worth, I ate total crap yesterday...and lots of it. According to my scale, I "gained" 6-8 lbs in one day. I know this isn't the case, and is in reality a complete impossibility...but that's what the scales says today anyway. Tomorrow it will sing a different tune, and by the end of the weekend, I'll be back to my "normal" weight.

Too many factors to give any accurate advice. However, go back to logging and make sure you're correct in the amount of calories you think your eating at maintenance. IF it worked for you in the past, then do that now.
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I had several deaths in my family in the last few months, and I gained 30 pounds in 4 months, so it comes back faster than it goes that is for sure!!
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    This is just some general advice, not necessarily tailored at you but very helpful for people who have lost weight and worried abour regain:

Never stop logging - even after you reach goal. You should be able to eyeball a food and know the number of calories it has, and taper your diet so you are hitting just below maintenance.

Start now - not next week, not tomorrow, now.

Log. Measure. Eat 500 under your suggested maintenance. Avoid the heavier junk foods. Add in weight training if you have not already done so - shifting your body composition to more muscle / less fat will make weight loss manageable.

I can't say this enough, if we are genetically prone to being overweight or overeating it may require long term calorie counting to maintain a weight loss, until you can get a hang of it and maintain it indefinitely. If we indulge all of our food impulses at any given time, it won't work.

There is no "off the diet" option. There is just a lifestyle. Moderation works but only if you do it every day.

95% of people who lose a lot of weight gain it back in 5 years.
    You have to work very hard to avoid regaining. After being in a deficit for so long, your body is probably trying to put on weight.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Logging isn't necessary for everyone (I don't log anymore). It seems that for you it's a very valuable tool. I'd start there - start logging again so you have a better idea of what you're eating.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    How much were you eating when you lost the weight?

I was eating WAY too little (1200) to lost my first 50lbs and gained it back quickly. Eating 1900 plus exercise calories now and it is working much better!
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people who need to continuously count my calories to maintain my weight loss and you might be the same way. Take heart because MOST people gain the weight they lost quickly BACK once they stop doing what they did to lose it in the first place.
  • kakaiie
    kakaiie Posts: 19
    Options
    i used to count my calorie intake but it doesnt really help me at all cos im really specific that even 1 calorie should be counted. thus i calculate my output and input so much that i didnt realise its just like going to gym and eating a big mac after... i suffer from OCD and binge eating disorder plus i have this friggin hypothyroidism. my friend eventually suggested a pill she takes and i thought it was bogus at first... but it worked for me. i never wanna count calories again. im too fussy with things now i dont want to be fussy with calorie numbers hahaha i also gain my weight back fast but not anymore. its really depressing before everytime i stood on the scales. -_____-
  • sugarfree123
    sugarfree123 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This should make you realize that you have to make a lifestyle change that is permanent. Some people have metabolisms that can burn off junk food without much effort. I am not one of those people. Thanks to menopause, I have learned to eat clean and exercise to get strong. It has been my way of life for about 4 years now. I feel great. I am stronger now than I have ever been in my life. Clean it up and get moving, your body will thank you. Start now.
  • patrox247
    patrox247 Posts: 50
    Options
    Update: I am back to logging and have lost 7 lbs already. Yeah I was eating some bad stuff after I lost all the weight, but I think the real killer was drinking. My mom had passed away and I went through two months where I was drinking every day. For whatever reason booze make me pack on the pounds fast. Not sure if it's because of the actual calories of the booze or if it's the late night Denny's or both. Anyways... I'm back on track and have been logging for the last 3 weeks. I feel great and am motivated to even go a little further with my weight loss than I did before. I'm 6'2" with a small frame and I think I am gonna see how I feel down at 160 lbs. Right now I'm 175.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Update: I am back to logging and have lost 7 lbs already. Yeah I was eating some bad stuff after I lost all the weight, but I think the real killer was drinking. My mom had passed away and I went through two months where I was drinking every day. For whatever reason booze make me pack on the pounds fast. Not sure if it's because of the actual calories of the booze or if it's the late night Denny's or both. Anyways... I'm back on track and have been logging for the last 3 weeks. I feel great and am motivated to even go a little further with my weight loss than I did before. I'm 6'2" with a small frame and I think I am gonna see how I feel down at 160 lbs. Right now I'm 175.

Just make sure this time you dont do an aggressive calorie cut. If you supply your body will adequate calories (aim for 1lb per week max) and do some exercise (allows you to eat more) then you will have less chances of gaining back as there will be less chances your rmr will slow down.
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I am close to my goal weight and plan to continue logging everything after I've reached it. My primary reason for this is that it keeps me on track for ensuring I am getting enough of the macro and micro nutrients I need. It is also helpful to track my daily and weekly calories intake, of course.

I think the visual accountability will keep me from slipping by the wayside, which I tend to do when my work is too busy and I feel I have no time to do good things for me. MFP diaries keep me aware of what I need to do to take care of me and have more balance in my life.
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I read someplace that statistics support that the people that are the most successful at keeping their weight off maintain a diary (log) of their food. I know for myself that it is too easy to think I remember everything that I ate and that I am within my calorie limits, etc., but if I don't log I find myself often going over even if it is a little bit. I have been in maintenance now for almost 2 months. I still log and do not plan to stop. This is a lifestyle change for me and with the computer, smartphone, etc. there is no reason not to continue. :smile: