Help! Knee pain!

Options
Ok, so I have been on FMP for 20 days and I have been dieting overall for about 4-5 weeks. I own a treadmill and I started walking on it slowly and gradually upping the pace.

I usually start by 10 min slow pace warm up, 10 min med-fast (for me) pace and 10 min cool down. I haven't been fitted for shoes yet and I have been using my aerobic shoes.

I think I got a little bit too happy about my fitness improving and I might have pushed it a bit too much. Last Friday the 3rd I actually started running on it properly alternating 4-5kph to 7kph. Since then my knees have been hurting the left one in particular. I struggle walking and going up and down the stairs. Even when I stand or sit down I feel a certain degree of discomfort.

Is it just inflamed and will it get better in time or should consult my doctor to treat the injury? How many weeks should I rest it for?

Could you also advise on which stretches I should be doing before and after a walking/running session?

I will carry on with my calorie counting but I feel really bummed about not being able to exercise as I was truly enjoying it.

Any advice will be appreciated!

Replies

• YourLotusFlower11
    YourLotusFlower11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Natfacestuff
    Natfacestuff Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    Sounds really annoying when you were just getting there. I have a knee injury, and have to work out depending on what my knee can take. If you are anything like me, your muscles are not that strong around your knee. This is what needs to be improved before you carry on with the running. So squats and lunges are essential, checking your form. Lie on your back, knees up as if to do sit ups, and lift your hips in a bridge, once that goes well start lifting one leg in the air whilst doing this.

Once your muscle is feeling better then you can get back to running. But if your knee hurts that much go to your doctor. It is always better safe than sorry.
    Good luck
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Make sure that you have good running shoes, not the ones from a big box store, but go to a running store and have them fit you. They will watch how you run and put you in the best shoes for the way you run.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Well... personally, knee issues run in my family. I have always had problems with my knees but particularly when I am overweight. Not so much after I get the weight off. I would suggest starting a joint supplement if you're going to continue to run. Unfortunately that's an "over time" fix... I always wear a knee brace (my left is the trouble maker too) and try to only run every other day to give my knee a break. Good luck!
  • SamDanielleB
    Options
    What Natfacestuff said, AND I would recommend getting off the treadmill if possible, at least until you can get proper shoes... I've been running and working out for a while now (no major joint issues or anything) and the treadmills always make even MY knees and feet hurt.
  • YourLotusFlower11
    Options
    Hey,
    Sounds really annoying when you were just getting there. I have a knee injury, and have to work out depending on what my knee can take. If you are anything like me, your muscles are not that strong around your knee. This is what needs to be improved before you carry on with the running. So squats and lunges are essential, checking your form. Lie on your back, knees up as if to do sit ups, and lift your hips in a bridge, once that goes well start lifting one leg in the air whilst doing this.

Once your muscle is feeling better then you can get back to running. But if your knee hurts that much go to your doctor. It is always better safe than sorry.
    Good luck

Ok i will definitely start doing those strenghtening exercises u have suggested. My muscles are definitely not strong. Im gna wait another week if it doesnt improve i will get an appointment. I wasnt aware about having to strenghten my leg muscles before starting running.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Try taking smaller strides.

http://www.runningspot.com/sl_07_.php
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm working through a knee injury with physio. We started with a squat program that I am still doing but have moved on to some hip and ankle work. It seems that you should focus on building up your whole leg muscles to take the pressure off the knee.

Stretches I was recommended to do for were mostly quads and hips.

Also, try running on an incline (even just slight). You may have poor form as I do, I'm a stomper, so the incline helps me correct for it.
  • Jewel0124
    Jewel0124 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You should have it checked to make sure you didn't damage anything. If there isn't any damage use the RICE method.

Rest (when it's in pain)
    Ice
    Compression (either a knee brace or ace bandage)
    Elevation
  • YourLotusFlower11
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my post and I would like to apologise for the late response. Today the knee pain isn't as bad although I have been getting cramps on my legs this morning. As soon as the pain subsides I will be starting strenghtening my muscles. How can I tell if I am ready to finally run without the risk of injury?
  • YourLotusFlower11
    Options
    I find this helps with the pain and it's slowly subsiding. Maybe a couple of more weeks. I am trying to be patient.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aVS0JWAkV1U

Exercises like that solved my pain over night.
  • YourLotusFlower11
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aVS0JWAkV1U

Exercises like that solved my pain over night.

Thank you gonna start doing those right away!