Methods for Calculating Calories

Options
Does anyone know the pros and cons of the different methods there are of calculating calorie expenditures during exercise. Seems like the machines tell you one thing and heart rate monitors tell you something different. Just wondered what you all have learned. Obviously I am looking for the most accurate method.

Replies

• ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    The most accurate method by far is a heart rate monitor. I just recently got the polarF6 and I love it. I compared it to the calories burned on a few machines( elliptical and treadmill) and the calories on those were way under. It's also good too if you do a lot of outdoor activites such as running/walking/bike riding.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Just my way - I use my wrist HRM.
    But I never eat all of my exercise caloires - leaving room for error in calories burned or portion size.
    Then machines and the burn calories on here are general. Your HRM will be more in tune with you.
    Steph
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Machines can over-estimate calories burned most of the time. Your best bet to get the most accurate reading would be a HRM with a chest strap. I had a Polar F11, but I got a Polar FT60 and I love that one!
  • cabrzama
    cabrzama Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar HRM but it is older and doesn't do calories. I need to update it - thanks for the advice. It would make the most sense to me that the HRM would be more trustworthy than the machines.