How often do YOU eat?

Options
I find myself eating less and less and still having a few hundred calories left before nightfall. Should I eat them all to increase my metabolism or should I just go without eating, and how often do you eat? Every two hours? I heard more meals, smaller portions is best. Let me know!

Nader

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Meal timing/frequency doesn't matter. It's personal preference.

I usually just have coffee in the morning and a small lunch so I can have a larger dinner.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    At work every 4 hours or so. At home I don't think I ever stop.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    It is just personal preference - nothing works better as far as losing weight.

I find that I need to eat a small breakfast around 10am, a small lunch around 1pm, then two small snacks between 1pm and 6 pm. Dinner at 6pm (my biggest meal of the day), and then a small snack or two after dinner.
    This method keeps me feeling fuller longer.
  • FootballGamer58
    FootballGamer58 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    agreed with other posters, its what works best for you

meal timing as being beneficial for weightloss has largely been debunked as myth
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 3 meals a day and 1 snack between breakfast and lunch.
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I only eat three meals a day. Also if you speak to a professional nutritionist they tell you that your biggest meal of the day should be your first meal of the day with each meal getting shorter as you go due to the fact that you will burn a few calories naturally as the day goes on and you don't burn quite as much when you are sleeping because you're body is in rest mode. I know that for me when I started to apply this method and started just having sandwhichs or things of that nature at dinner time I started losing weight the first go round.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast these days and then eat when I'm back from the gym around noon or so up through dinner time.
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Normally I eat on a 20/4 IF plan. I hate eating well I hate eating on a plan. The more often I eat the more I think about eating, hence the more I eat. It also leaves me craving more. If I have left over calories at the end of the day I treat myself as long as it's before 8:30. After 8:30 I can't seem to control the amount I eat either!
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I started Insanity this week and there is an interesting meal program that goes with it. It's five small meals a day, spread out about evenly. I'm on about 1500 or 300 per meal. It doesn't have to be exact, but they do recommend eating one about an hour before you work out. They do NOT recommend eating all your calories in one big meal, especially one late in the day, because your body wants to hang onto those calories because it knows its not getting many for a while.

It's been an interesting experience so far. At first, it felt like I was eating all the time and it was too much, but even after a few days and with the more intense work outs, it do feel hungry by the time I eat and full even with the small meal. And I have a ton of energy... so far. I am, however, quite sore!
  • Livylove90
    Livylove90 Posts: 14
    Options
    I try to make it a habit to eat every few hours, its easier when Im not working to get a small meal in every 3 hours at least. On days with exercise I try to eat more at each meal but often find myself with a majority of (exercise) calories left over to eat still.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Meal timing/frequency doesn't matter. It's personal preference.

I usually just have coffee in the morning and a small lunch so I can have a larger dinner.

Pretty much this.

It matters for some, but most people should worry more about hitting their calorie/macro goals in a way they can sustain long term and less about finer details like nutrient timing.

To you're question... I eat pretty steadily from about 1ish-7ish pm.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Normally I have the normal 3 meals and I mix in a few others smaller snack meals.
  • Linda5678
    Linda5678 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast 6-6:30am
    Snack 9-9:30am
    Lunch 11-11:30am
    Snack 2-3pm
    Dinner 5-6pm
    Small sweet snack right after dinner

I found this helps me from getting so hungry that I want to eat my right arm, and I need that for drinking beer, on occasion!
  • mrswaite08
    mrswaite08 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Breakfast @ 8 am
    Lunch @ 12:30 pm
    Afternoon Snack @ 3:30 pm
    Supper @ 5:30 pm
    Evening snack @ 8 pm

My smallest meal is breakfast & my largest is supper. Hasn't slowed me down yet.