HELP!!! Working out and losing no weight.

Options

Replies

• DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Ok....my diet usually consists of eating a bagel for breakfast....if I even have a chance to eat breakfast, One bag of oatmeal for lunch and cereal when i get home from work...other then that I don't really eat much.

Surprised you have enough energy to write these posts. You are not eating enough!
  • carolmae87
    carolmae87 Posts: 3
    Options
    This is definitely me. I don't drink a lot of soda. Even when I do it is diet. Trying to drink more water. I can see the change from torso up. It is everything from the stomach down that is discouraging.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I have definitely noticed change I'm 175lbs, 5'3" and calorie intake all depends. I'm just now starting to keep track of it...I actually usually don't eat anything at work and I work 7-3 and I don't get a lunch break. and if I do eat it's like a quick thing of oat meal. I think i'm gonna cut out pop completely cause I tend to drink a lot of pop. otherwise I have no idea. what I"m doing. :( I burn anywhere from 500 to 700 calories at the gym everyday and I know with that and eating I don't eat over 1200 calories a day.

Assuming your calculations are correct, you're eating too little. Too much of a deficit can slow/hinder weight loss as much as too little of one. Plugging in your height/weight/age numbers into the BMR calculator at fat2fitradio.com, your BMR is 1595 and sedentary TEDD is 1914. Try eating at least net 1600 per day and see what happens. (Net means 1600 + exercise calories and a HRM will be more accurate than gym equipment or MFP's calcuations).
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is 80% diet, it would help if your diary was public.
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    PS I have scheduled to see an endocrinologist to see if something is not underlying it all. The endo can;t get me in for another 4 weeks. If you continue to have the same problems I would suggest a visit to your Dr. Also, you are just eating carbs. You need protein and vegetables.
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    ... I burn anywhere from 500 to 700 calories at the gym everyday and I know with that and eating I don't eat over 1200 calories a day.

that's your problem. you aren't eating enough and are burning too much with what you are eating. your net calories needs to be over 1200 otherwise your body goes into starvation mode and holds onto anything it can. up your calorie intake and create your deficit through working out instead of eating at a deficit.

for example:
    you eat 2000 calories
    you burn 500 calories during your workout
    you net 1500 calories
    you aren't hungry! :) and you are still creating a deficit that will cause weight loss.

PLEASE for the love of god don't continue to net under 1200 calories, you aren't helping yourself.
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Burning 500 to 700 a day and eating 1200. That's your problem my dear :/

I did that too and wondered why I never lost weight. Your body has decided to start stocking up fat instead to survive.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

It's heavy reading, but it's worth it! It's been working for me. My weight jumps up and down, but my inches always go down and I start to see muscles! :)
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Fuel your body.
  • LoveCR22
    LoveCR22 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    But an ounce of fat weighs less than an ounce of muscle...if you are talking about fluid ounces.

Really, You don't say? :huh:

Please explain how one ounce of anything can weight more or less than an ounce of something else, I think I missed that lesson during my schooling days...

A unit of volume follows the same rules of a unit of mass.
    One ounce/pound can't weight more than it's unit, regardless of what it is made of.
  • lillady93
    lillady93 Posts: 18
    Options
    My diary is public now!
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I would say it has to do with what you are eating. I used to workout daily (still do) and could not understand why I would not lose weight...I finally (just recently) admitted to myself that even though I workout often I would not lose any weight if I didn't take some control over what I was eating. Once I started writing down what I was eating, portion control I started losing. I didn't realize just how much I was eating until I started writing down every single thing. For me tracking is not tedious and it's helpful but I think just eating smaller portions did the trick!
    Good luck and please don't be frustrated, posting for support and help is a very good step in the right direction.
    p.s. if you are working out with weights instead of cardio it may be harder to see weight drop down but you will feel it in how your clothes fit you.
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I just saw where you stated you were not eating over 1200 calories, in that case you are not eating enough and need to if you are working out.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. Some times when you're working out really hard you don't see the weight coming off on the scale because you're turnign the fat into muscles, and muscle is heavier than fat. Trust me I used to get wicked discouraged until someone explained that to me because I was looking at myself in the mirror, seeing th change, but the scale was staying the same or even, to my horror, going UP. Try doing measurments like neck and things like that, see if those change over time, and if you're seeing a difference than it's working, don't be discouraged!

Fat doesn't turn into muscle; this is physiologically impossible. Much like wood isn't going to turn into gold. Two different tissues. The OP didn't mention anything about her diet and typically that's the problem. You can't out exercise a bad diet. Bad diet = one without any strategy to get you where you want to go.
  • Jewles1285
    Jewles1285 Posts: 119
    Options
    A pound of fat weights the same as a pound of muscle

it takes more muscle to fill in the same area because muscle is lean and more dense hence giving the saying "muscle weighs more than fat'; its a huge argument amungst many people on here and apparently a very touchy subject as i've gotten myself reemed for it!

on another note, i would seriously re-evaluate your diet and as others have suggested to invest in a good HRM (heart rate monitor). I have one and i depend on it everytime i do ANY type of exercise so i know exactly what to log. I also look at the nutritional info for EVERYTHING i eat, EVEN at my son's "Muffins with Mom" breakfast at his school! I didnt care they thought i was crazy!!

Dont give up. Listen and apply the advice that people have given you here, and im sure you will be successful! Good luck!

Friend me if you'd like my support on a more frequent basis.
  • lillady93
    lillady93 Posts: 18
    Options
    Bad diet = one without any strategy to get you where you want to go.
    [/quote]

To be honest with you...my strategy is to stay under 1200 calories. but I guess that's not working for me.
  • LoveCR22
    LoveCR22 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My diary is public now!

it's also empty aside from one day...
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    My diary is public now!

it's also empty aside from one day...

Exactly!. If you do not have time to cook, just buy a bag of pre-packaged salad blend and add olive oil or a can of tuna and have for dinner. Try to eat salad with protein for dinner and add a fruit as well. You definitely need to up your calories. Eat a tb of peanut butter to reach your calories. Eat baby carrots with hummus for lunch or dinner, instead of the oatmeal. Drink sparkling water instead of soda, diet or not.
  • rajendra82
    rajendra82 Posts: 20
    Options
    But an ounce of fat weighs less than an ounce of muscle...if you are talking about fluid ounces.

Really, You don't say? :huh:

Please explain how one ounce of anything can weight more or less than an ounce of something else, I think I missed that lesson during my schooling days...

A unit of volume follows the same rules of a unit of mass.
    One ounce/pound can't weight more than it's unit, regardless of what it is made of.

1 fluid ounce of anything x specific gravity of that thing = weight of that thing in ounces.

Water has a specific gravity of close to 1, so one fluid ounce of water (29.6 ml) weighs 1 ounce (28.3 gm).

Fat has a specific gravity of less than water, which is why 1 fluid ounce (29.6 ml) of fat weighs less than 1 ounce (28.3 gm). This is why a fat person can easily float on water, even after explelling all air in their lungs. Same thing happens with a butter. Put it in a bowl while cooking rice, and it will float on top.

Muscle has a specific gravity of greater than water. So 1 fluid ounce (29.6 ml) of muscle weighs more than 1 ounce in (28.3 gm). A skinny person with no air in their lungs will sink in water, just like the grains of rice do.

Due to the quirkyness of the imperial system of measurements, where there is only one pound, but there two king of ounces, a pound of fat does weigh the same as a pound of muscle, but an ounce fat does not need to weigh the same as an ounce of muscle, and neither of them weighs an ounce.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    A pound of fat weights the same as a pound of muscle

Thank you
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Bad diet = one without any strategy to get you where you want to go.

To be honest with you...my strategy is to stay under 1200 calories. but I guess that's not working for me.
    [/quote]

That strategy wont work. You arent eating enough. Try bumping that up to like 1500 calories and see what happens.