Can't stop eating - help?

Options
I love food and I'm addicted to that overly-full feeling. As a result, I have an extra 50 pounds I don't have the self-control to shed. I've tried this calorie counting thing and it goes fine for a few days, but then I cheat and give up. I've read all kinds of weight loss books, but apparently I love to eat more than I'd love to be thin. I don't know how to want thinness enough to be motivated. Any recommendations?

Replies

• milkydud85
    milkydud85 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    oh no... :-( im so sorry hun its not easy.... its really not... ;-( im sure you know its easier to add weight then to lose it... man you really just have to be motivated honestly it all starts from youself... and trust me its easier said than done, but i guess you can start off by drinking a glass of water before every meal, take 30mins walks or jogs, try to buy healthy food when you go grocery shopping... i have pleanty of dvds at home, but i found myself looking at the time on the bottom of the screen seeing how many mins i had left (it wasnt fun for me) but i love doing the group excersies at the ymca gym there is so many like zumba, boot camp, body shop, kick boxing and etc... its more fun to me because there is actulally other people there around you and people are all shapes and its diverse.... sometime im the fatest person in the class but i dont care im trying to get my body in shape especially by summer... and its more fun...its just getting there, but once im there im happy i went... and yes go back on the calorie count its not easy..... and if you cheat one day just go back to normal the next few days... and when im in those classes i modify the excersices some time.. tell me how it goes, but it definelty have to start with youself cause nobody can make you do it... it can also help if you have a friend a around the area too... just a few suggestions i hope atleast one of these tips helps... but hey your here on this website that a good start... and get rid of soda too and substitute it for sparkling water or water or some other liquid... ;-)
  • MegSimmons7
    MegSimmons7 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank you! I appreciate your thoughts.
  • Excuse_less
    Excuse_less Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Put the fork down and step away from the table!!! JK Baby steps. Start with portion control
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    We all eat for different reasons that's why we're here. You need to set a goal (small one) and find your inspiration to achieve that goal. Print out a picture and keep it with you, think of your children, etc whatever it is.

Drinking plenty of fluids and pre planning your meals will probably help you at first. Biggest thing is to be conscious of it and understand that it's going to be difficult. Also understand that a huge salad with complex vegetables/proteins is better than a McBurgerKingSmoothieFilledLunch Meal and probably more filling.

If it were easy everyone would be skinny.

I'll add you as a friend and help anyway I can, posting and staying active on this site helps me keep my goals in check maybe that will help you as well.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, and for that I apologize in advance. But it's the truth, because I came from a spot almost identical to yours. I still struggle with wanting to keep that over-full feeling, I absolutely hate being hungry.

But you have to want it BAD. You have to be FED UP with your current lifestyle and DESPERATE for a change. You have to want it so bad you can TASTE it, and you have to pump yourself up and OWN this new you.

Otherwise, you are just going to keep doing what you're doing. And if that's what you want right now, then do it. But just know that as soon as that mental switch gets flipped-- as soon as you make the decision to truly control your life-- you will be unstoppable.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    How old are you? Have you been to the doctor lately? How is your blood pressure and overall health? That's where my motivation comes from. I want to be around a while and be healthy enough to enjoy life.
  • kairisika
    kairisika Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Many people who have a problem with overeating find that they can't easily lose the habit of eating so much.
    Instead of first lowering your potions, which may be particularly difficult for you, you can instead focus on changing what you eat.
    Try binging on vegetables. When you want more food, when you find yourself still eating for that feeling, eat as much as you want of less-fattening things.
    Some people find that restricting what they eat is easier than restricting how much, and that could be a place to start for you.
  • candicane32081
    candicane32081 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, and for that I apologize in advance. But it's the truth, because I came from a spot almost identical to yours. I still struggle with wanting to keep that over-full feeling, I absolutely hate being hungry.

But you have to want it BAD. You have to be FED UP with your current lifestyle and DESPERATE for a change. You have to want it so bad you can TASTE it, and you have to pump yourself up and OWN this new you.

Otherwise, you are just going to keep doing what you're doing. And if that's what you want right now, then do it. But just know that as soon as that mental switch gets flipped-- as soon as you make the decision to truly control your life-- you will be unstoppable.
  • zeke1964
    zeke1964 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Portion control is number 1! stay away from all drinks other than water.....add fresh lemon to make it delicious! drink 4 cups 15 mins before u usually get hungry and you will be amazed at how your appetite will shrink. ive lost almost 7 pounds already and im still eating foods i love.....just way less of them. keep us posted

zeke
  • candicane32081
    candicane32081 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with this! One day you wake up and you don't want to be that way anymore! It takes a lot of work. If you mess up,(like we all do), just ge up and try, try again!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Put the fork down and step away from the table!!! JK Baby steps. Start with portion control

Baby steps ........ start with logging everything you eat. When you see the numbers add up you can make some informed decisions.

Just change 1 thing today. Then change another thing tomorrow. Make a series of small goals.
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It's so very hard, I definitely understand. I had to get to the point where I was just sick and tired of being controlled by food and my emotions. you'll have to dig deep to really understand what is going on with yourself before you can truly make the changes to improve your health. Best of luck to you
  • brendabuffington10
    brendabuffington10 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I used to do the same thing, mainly I would eat because I was bored or just had a craving for somehitng and I didnt really want it but ate it anyway. I also work second shift and found myself eating when I got home at night just because. The past couple months I finally made up my mind that I need to change so I feel healthier and happier about myself. I do not eat anything after 8 pm, I carry a 32 ounce water bottle with me frequently and when I feel the urge to eat somehting I know I shouldn't I drink the water with a little lemon in it. I used to drink a lot of soda, and have cut way back on it, instead of drinking 2 - 3 cans a day, I maybe now have one can every couple days. I hate diet soda or anything with artificial sweetner in it. I also really dislike exercise and working out so I just do a lot more walking and recently started riding bike if just for 30 minutes a day. I work full time as an RN so the majority of my work day is walking up and down the hallway and steps. One of the best motivators for me was getting back to this site and logging on everyday, reading other people's successess/struggles really makes me think. I have a long ways to go to get where I want to be but it's just baby steps at a time.
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options

This, exactly. It's how it happened for me. Just one day I said, I am DONE! I'm taking the fat suit off now. So make a plan, focus on portion control, get a food scale, they're very helpful. Make an exercise plan, set goals to help you be motivated. Share these goals with someone (or many, I share mine on here and Facebook), so you have accountability. Start small and work your way up. I have a heck of a long way to go yet, but as you can see by my ticker, something is working.

ETA: Water water water water water! I get in approximately 12 cups of water a day. Takes some getting used to, but I really don't spend as much time running to the bathroom as I did at first.
  • SoullessGinger1
    SoullessGinger1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think what Kairisika said is a good place to start. When I started changing my eating awhile ago I focused more on eating good foods daily rather than focusing on the foods I could not eat. I hoped that I would be less likely to eat bad things if I had filled up on good stuff first.

To begin, I ate a salad every day, and had veggies at dinner with some lean meat. I set a goal to just do better than last week meaning ate more veggies, less of the foods i wanted to eliminate, drank more water and got more exercise. If motivation is hard for you now, perhaps just doing a little better each week would be easier than going hard core and changing too much at once.

I also got myself a Nuttri Bullet and everyday I cram it full of kale and fruits with some water and drank it. It just tastes like fruit smoothie. The bullet comes with different sized cups and I use the biggest one. This would fill me up for the entire morning.

My food goals have been refined to certain number of calories and carbs so I have eliminated the fruit from my smoothies but I do love them.
  • Kristopher25
    Options

This pretty much sums it up. It's definitely a lot more mental than physical. Start by just logging in your foods eveyday. Make sure Everything gets logged in accurately. Do this for a week or two so you can see how many calories you are really taking in. Take this time to seriously think about why/if you really want to change. When I saw the true calories I was taking in it was a great motivator. I knew then that I could make positive changes without completely altering how I lived. The great thing about MFP is that it's not a diet. I quickly learned I could eat what I want as long as the calories were correct.

Your next step is portion control. Have what you like, but have less of it. Work on getting your daily calories down to match what MFP is telling you. Don't worry about the always hungry feeling you mentioned by not eating all the time. After a short time your body adjusts and you'll find that was more of an "urge" feeling than actually being hungry. Try and plan out the day by thinking of what you want to eat for the day. You can have a big lunch/dinner but before you do, think about the calories you will have left for the day. If I'm going to have something bad for dinner I'll eat a light breakfast and lunch. Plannig ahead allows me to eat a high calorie "comfort food" while staying in my calorie range. It also satisfies that craving that can derail weight loss if ignored.

Once you start to get your calories in line you should start exercising. Start with small goals (walk 100 calories on a treadmill, taking stairs etc...) You'ff find that you will want to do more once you start. Increase your activity as you go. Not only will exercising make you healthier and more fit but it also allows more calories to be eaten every day so it's really a win all the way around.
  • sempertracy
    sempertracy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post-I'm in the exact same position. I'll eat a snack at night and I mentally have this fear of not being able to sleep without food in my belly. If you want a vent buddy feel free to add me to your friends. I know I need to get up and go running or cycling at this point during the day but lack the physical motivation to do so. I have cute summer clothes I want/need to wear so I need to get on the motivation wagon. Starting right now!
  • MegSimmons7
    Options
    Funny you should ask. From a doctor's perspective, I'm perfectly healthy. I'm vegetarian, so my cholesterol is very low and my blood pressure is very low (and always has been). However, I know I'm not at my optimum health because I'm overweight, and it's not that my food choices are necessarily bad. The problem is I love to be full, and I eat a ton of food. Eating too much healthy food can also be a problem, but it's not most people's problem. I read ingredient lists for chemical content, hydrogenated oils, etc., because I don't like putting that junk in my body (and I NEVER eat fast food), but I have no portion control, and I can eat a whole watermelon and a whole loaf of sprouted bread in a day. Maybe I feel like since I eat healthful foods, it's OK to overeat. But not so! I lack temperance and the will to exercise.
  • MegSimmons7
    Options
    THANK YOU everyone for your comments, care and suggestions. It's very kind of you to take the time and share your thoughts. I have found every one of them helpful and encouraging (or funny). Thank you!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    A couple of things struck me about your post...

One, if you getting thin isn't enough of a motivator, find something else. Maybe getting healthy or start small just by saying your goal is to add more fruits and veggies to your diet or move more. Try not to just cut things out of your diet as that can lead to an emotional response - your body craves certain things and you just flat out like certain foods and if you try to do without them, eventually you will cave - which is likely what your problem has been in the past. Instead, learn portion control so you can still enjoy the foods you love and not go over your calories.

Two, if that full feeling is necessary, you may need to think more about what you're eating, not how much. For instance, many of us have discovered that higher protein, higher fiber and higher (healthy) fat foods keep us full longer. Things like lean meats, eggs, whole grain foods, fruits, veggies, nuts, avacados, olive oil, etc can really pack a punch and they're good for you! Simple carbs are yummy but they're more likely to leave you wanting more and more. I know, I used to practically live on sugar all day and wondered why I was always hungry. Now I try to get a good balance in and I have less cravings.

Good luck to you!