Not losing....

Options
Hi, my name is Nikki. I have been on here about a month and haven't really lost anything. I am on the 1/2 pound a week plan and eat about 1630 calories a day, unless I exercise than I eat my exercise calories as well. I drink a lot of water, eat plenty of fiber and watch my sodium level pretty closely. I don't know what I am doing wrong...or does it take your body time to get used to this type of thing. I have been doing really well for the last two weeks and have been on here for 16 days straight. Any suggestions??
Thanks,
Nikki

Replies

• Megume
    Megume Posts: 74
    Options
    It does take a while to jump start things, trust me. But, maybe you're consuming a few too many calories?? Or maybe you're not eating the right, nutrient rich foods. It could be a lot of small things that just add up. Either way, keep going, you're doing great. I know it's hard but you can push through it.
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    1630 plus exercise calories is probably more than most people here are consuming. How about getting more aggressive and go for 1 lb a week goal?

L
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    They say it takes 3 weeks for true fat loss to show up...so stick with your plan for another week, then if you're not seeing a little bit faster loss, try changing things up a little. Up your cardio, or adjust your calories. Could just be a small plateau. Just don't give up! this is a learning experience and it's not always going to go as planned, but these are the times you learn the most!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    most people underestimate their food and overestimate their exercise. how accurate are you? do you weight/measure your food? do you have an hmr for calories? if not, i suggest only eating 1/2 your calories back.

hang in there, it took my body over a year to finally drop any weight at all and now it is consistantly slimming down.
    dawn
  • treasurep
    treasurep Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Open up your food diary to people..when i have questions about food and not loosing that's the first thing my "friends" on here look at. It has helped me drop 1.5 lbs a week by tweeking what I've eaten.
  • sleitner
    sleitner Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    They say the last 10 pounds are the hardest to lose and you only have 7 to go. I too would suggest cutting your calories back (say by 2oo) or try a different / more aggresive exercise routine. Don't give up, you are sooooo close!!!
  • sleitner
    sleitner Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    They say the last 10 pounds are the hardest to lose and you only have 7 to go. I too would suggest cutting your calories back (say by 2oo) or try a different / more aggresive exercise routine. Don't give up, you are sooooo close!!!
  • FoxMulder
    FoxMulder Posts: 1
    Options
    I am a man ( 185 pounds ), an i diet at 1720 calories / day... it'a a way too high for a woman ( 1630 )... you should be around 1200-1400 calories a day and it takes at least 2-3 weeks to see real results..

You have to loose 3500-8000 calories to loose 2 pounds !!! ( depending on activity type and intensity )

Don't forget that if you exercice, it's only 14% of fat that you loose if you do less than 40 minutes... and around 25% loss of fat for an hour and 30 ( running, cycling and intense activity... ) You have nothing for nothing...
    `
    If you do a 30 min workout/day, you'll stay fit but no change in your weight really unless you have a strict nutrition plan.

Be patient... i lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks !!! Discovered this site only a week ago...

good luck !
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I agree that 1630 without exercise is high. I workout hard 6 days a week for at least an hour doing P90X and eat 1800 - 1900; I try not to eat my exercise calories. Make sure that you are measuring things out so that you don't overestimate your calories. That being said, your ticker doesn't show that you have too much to lose so maybe it will take a little longer. I'm just curious though as to why you chose only half a lb a week.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    With only 7 pounds to go weight loss will be slow. You may want to change up your workout routine or increase your % protein to shock your system. What is your activity level set at? and should it be lower as you should not take into account exercise when figuring out your activity level.

I also agree that eating all exercise calories is not the best idea unless you have a HRM and are backing out the calories you would have burned at rest anyway. Say in a 60 minute workout you burned 480 calories, you would have burned anywhere from 45-90 if you didn't exercise so you should be eating back 390 (480-90) not the full 480.

The 1/2 pound per week is where you should be with the amount you have left to lose.

Hope this helps, good luck.
  • thisemmabites
    Options
    most people underestimate their food and overestimate their exercise. how accurate are you? do you weight/measure your food? do you have an hmr for calories? if not, i suggest only eating 1/2 your calories back.

hang in there, it took my body over a year to finally drop any weight at all and now it is consistently slimming down.
    dawn

I absolutely agree with this statement.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I am a man ( 185 pounds ), an i diet at 1720 calories / day... it'a a way too high for a woman ( 1630 )... you should be around 1200-1400 calories a day and it takes at least 2-3 weeks to see real results..

You have to loose 3500-8000 calories to loose 2 pounds !!! ( depending on activity type and intensity )

Don't forget that if you exercice, it's only 14% of fat that you loose if you do less than 40 minutes... and around 25% loss of fat for an hour and 30 ( running, cycling and intense activity... ) You have nothing for nothing...
    `
    If you do a 30 min workout/day, you'll stay fit but no change in your weight really unless you have a strict nutrition plan.

Be patient... i lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks !!! Discovered this site only a week ago...

good luck !
    I disagree. 1630 might not be too many calories for her. 1200-1400 can be too low for an active woman. Also 30 minutes of workout can be plenty in a day, it depends on intensity.

It is harder to lose when you are close to your goal and/or at a healthy weight. I say stick it out another week because it could take your body longer to change. If still no loss maybe stop eating back your exercise calories or change things up. Every body is different so you just have to figure our what works for you.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I dont' know what the OP weighs or what her height or build are, so can't possibly give advice on whether her 1630 is too high or not.

That said...1600 is not extremely high. If she's eating healthy foods, weighing and measuring everything, and not cheating/lying to herself, then it's reasonable. I know female bodybuilders (weighing 120 lbs) who are trying to lose 5 pounds who eat 1800+ calories a day. Dang, my RMR is 1800 and maintenance is 2300.

The last few pounds are the hardest to lose and undereating will not cut it. Read #5 on the linked post - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

Also, I've heard that it takes a week to 10 days before any losses as a result of diet/exercise change. Give it more a couple more weeks, maybe.
  • PatrickofMaryland
    Options
    I also think is a pretty high daily calorie goal, and if you are not careful in estimating the calories, it will be very easy to gain weight instead of losing. I am a 5'9" male and my daily calorie goal is 1460.

Anyway, keep trying. I am not losing weight very fast but I look better and feel better already. Just learning what to avoid is worth the effort.
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    Are you just going by weight on the scale? I would suggest taking measurements. Some weeks I have lost no weight, but I still lost inches. If you at the last 7 pounds, it will be slow from what I understand. Or, maybe your body is fine where it is and the measurements are where you need to focus now. Sometimes the number we choose is not the number nature wnats to cooperate with. In that case, focus on your workouts and target the areas you want to change. Sometimes a mental shift is all it takes.

I say that because there was a time in high school where I really wanted to lose 10 pounds. I joined the Susan Powder Center. They took measurments and told us not to weight ourselves. I still weighed myself anyway. After 8 weeks on the program, I gained 8 pounds! BUT- I went from a size 8 to a 6 and lost 14 inches overall. I came to understand why they said forget the weight.

Just a thought.
  • jrobertson37
    jrobertson37 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much. I only have five cals to go and was starving on 1290 a day so i just set it to 1/2 lb per week. Now im not so hungry!!!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Nikki. I have been on here about a month and haven't really lost anything. I am on the 1/2 pound a week plan and eat about 1630 calories a day, unless I exercise than I eat my exercise calories as well. I drink a lot of water, eat plenty of fiber and watch my sodium level pretty closely. I don't know what I am doing wrong...or does it take your body time to get used to this type of thing. I have been doing really well for the last two weeks and have been on here for 16 days straight. Any suggestions??
    Thanks,
    Nikki

Go to Tools tab, then go to BMR - not BMI, but BMR. Type in the relevant info and see what it comes up with. If it says your BMR is 1600 calories, that's why you aren't losing the weight, you are not in enough of a deficit.

My BMR is just under 1400 calories per day. If I were on 1600+ calories per day I would put on weight.

There is no hard and fast number of calories that everybody can go by, it depends on your own basal metabolic rate, once you have found that out, you can then work out how many calories you need to consume in order to make yourself a deficit of 3500 calories per week, that will then equate to a 1lb weight loss for the week.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

My BMR is just under 1400 calories per day. If I were on 1600+ calories per day I would put on weight.

BMR is the amount of calories your body needs to function, if you were just lying in bed all day. So, you need more calories to walk, move around, exercise, etc.
  • asposner
    asposner Posts: 3
    Options
    I was just about to post pretty much the same thing... I've been on here almost 2 months, and have been in the same 2-3 lb loop the entire time. I'm already a healthy weight and want to lose a small amount too, so I'm sure that's not helping things.

I don't have a calorie monitor, but I weigh and measure EVERYTHING and pretty much stick to within 100 calories of my goal each day (including exercise calories). When i wasn't losing on 1360 calories, I lowered my goal to 1210, but I still didn't see any results after a couple of weeks. Plus, I am often hungry and listless on that few calories... thinking maybe I should boost it back up. I work out 5 times a week doing cardio, pilates and weights. The exercise has definitely helped me build muscle, and I know muscle weighs more than fat and I shouldn't obsess over the number on the scale. But I've only lost maybe an inch from my waist, and I'm really knocking myself out!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    BMR is NOT Maintenance. It's what your body needs if you sleep the whole 24 hours. Everything else you do, from watch Tv to drive a car burns more calories.