HELP!!!! Working out and losing no weight.

Options
Hello, I have been working out for about 2 months and haven't lost a single pound....I am doing quite a bit of toning during my workouts though. Has this ever happened to anyone else and what should I do??? I'm getting really frustrated and warn out. :(

Replies

• maggiecosmo
    maggiecosmo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    yes it happens... you are probably building muscle which weights more... measure your inches.. and keep going.... and also look at you diet make sure you are eating enough.....
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Inches lost is actually better than weight lost imo... no one sees the number on the scale but me, but everyone sees what I physically look like all the time. So get out that measuring tape and use that, eventually everything will work out.
  • taytay9955
    taytay9955 Posts: 23
    Options
    I worked out 6 hours a week for 6 months and never dropped a pound I was stronger and in better shape but I wasn't seeing the results I wanted, I was eating healthy food but when I started logging everything I realized I was eating back all the work I was doing in the gym, for me it is always about my diet, I work out because it makes me feel good but I'll never drop weight with out cutting my calories. You very well could be building mussel which weighs more than fat so try to focus on how your clothes feel and if you can see changes in your body. hope this is helpful.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    It totally is happening to me :-) I lost three pounds right away, then I gained 3.5 pounds over a month of intense insanity style working out.

But I love my new muscles and I look much more firm so my 3 pounds gained is actually a good thing :-) Weight is NOT everything. Measure your self, take some photos, get you body fat percentage calculated and track those things...not scale numbers! (Some VERY FIT girls I know weigh close to 150 but are super toned and fit...they lift heavy things and put them down haha...they look HOT!)
  • Bjninja
    Bjninja Posts: 44
    Options
    I same happens to me. I've been working out since last August, haven't lost a pound or any inches. Definitely more toned though, so I can't be mad at that! Before I used to eat back my calories lost during my workout, but now I'm trying to stick with just the 1600 calories I'm allotted everyday. Just keep an eye on your muscle tone and how you feel, and make sure you're not static at the gym. Try different workouts and switch 'em up periodically!

Good luck! I'm right there with you!
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I am at a similar crossroad right now. I water-jog 8 hours a week 4X2hours and have been steadily always losing my pound a week and for 5 of those weeks I dropped 2 a week without changing anything from my plan. Now I really struggle each week just to get my pound off. I am just staying the course and I know it will come off eventually. I under the frustration though. I adjusted my calories from 1500 to now 1410 after the first 50 pounds but now wonder if I should have just stayed at 1500. I am pretty faithful to my intake a majority of the time and may indulge in a treat once a week or so with reason. I wish you luck in figuring out your own plan.
  • lillady93
    lillady93 Posts: 18
    Options
    I'd like to think I've noticed a change in inches but after weighing myself I don't know if my eyes are playing tricks on me...
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Here's your problem:

You're not tracking your calories every day. A lot of days were blank. On the days you do track, not much food is listed.

So, you're either eating too much and not recording it. Or you're not eating enough and that's not good for weight loss either.

If you want to lose weight, and to use MFP to do it, you need to use the program as it was designed to be used. Track each and everything you eat every day. Eat all the calories in your goal. Input your exercise and eat those calories back too. Do that consistently for 6 weeks (consistently means every darn day, whether you want to or not). If you do that, and you still aren't losing weight, then come back and seek advice.

Right now, you're only doing half of what you need to. So - don't be surprised by the results you don't get for the work you didn't do.
  • BigRedgw2010
    BigRedgw2010 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It's your diet. Working out will only make you stronger. In order to lose the weight, you must cut your calories or change the amout of carbs and when you eat them.

Trying eating your high carbs(rice, oat meal) earlier in the day and eating your lower carbs (green bean, carrots) in the evening. How is your cardio?

Cardio will attack the fat causing you to drop the weight.

Time; you didn't gain the weight you have now in one day or one week, so don't expect to lose tons of weight in 2 days or 2 weeks. Expect 1 to 2 pounds drop in a week is about right. More than that is just water weight and it will come back with one high carb meal.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Here's your problem:

You're not tracking your calories every day. A lot of days were blank. On the days you do track, not much food is listed.

So, you're either eating too much and not recording it. Or you're not eating enough and that's not good for weight loss either.

If you want to lose weight, and to use MFP to do it, you need to use the program as it was designed to be used. Track each and everything you eat every day. Eat all the calories in your goal. Input your exercise and eat those calories back too. Do that consistently for 6 weeks (consistently means every darn day, whether you want to or not). If you do that, and you still aren't losing weight, then come back and seek advice.

Right now, you're only doing half of what you need to. So - don't be surprised by the results you don't get for the work you didn't do.

^^This.
  • BigRedgw2010
    BigRedgw2010 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Also, I just looked at your food diary......and WoW! Eating donuts is not the way to dropping the weight. Trust me, I don't mean to be rude or to hurt you, but you food diary needs a major over haul. Once you eat the proper food that doesn't have tons of sugar and process food then you will be able to drop the weight.
  • heitmaw
    heitmaw Posts: 1
    Options
    bump
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    It's your diet. Working out will only make you stronger. In order to lose the weight, you must cut your calories or change the amout of carbs and when you eat them.

Trying eating your high carbs(rice, oat meal) earlier in the day and eating your lower carbs (green bean, carrots) in the evening. How is your cardio?

Cardio will attack the fat causing you to drop the weight.

Time; you didn't gain the weight you have now in one day or one week, so don't expect to lose tons of weight in 2 days or 2 weeks. Expect 1 to 2 pounds drop in a week is about right. More than that is just water weight and it will come back with one high carb meal.

This is what we went by back 15-20 yrs ago. I was wondering if it still is accepted as a good idea. I mean, it worked back then great.. so I was wondering why does everybody say it isn't relevant now a days???? You are one of the 1st posts I have seen on here to state this . I believe in it, but no one else seems to any more, why is that??
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Here's your problem:

^^ THIS

You need to track your food; calories/ macros. You'll be amazed at what you actually consume in a day!
  • Bjninja
    Bjninja Posts: 44
    Options
    Another thing to cut back on is the amount of sugar you eat. I'm not particularly great at this myself (and hey, I work hard so that I can indulge every now and then on some sugary goodness), but a lot of processed foods are high salt and high sugar. As much as possible, try to eat foods with simple ingredients and no added sugar.

Lastly, if you can plan ahead, that helps with keeping your food in line. I try to plan my three big meals ahead so that I know how many calories I have left for snacks.
  • GingerbreadArtist
    GingerbreadArtist Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You must keep your body in a fat-burning mode. Anytime you eat carbs/sugars/grains your body creates insulin, which is a fat STORING hormone. Eating protein, fats, and non-starchy vegetables you stay in the fat burning mode (no or very little insulin being created by the body).

Even with one small cheat - for example ONE cookie (full of sugar and grains)... and waa-laa... your body is creating insulin and in a fat-storing mode instead of a fat-burning mode.

It's all about hormones and chemistry.