the scale

Options
decided the other day to weigh myself once a week or maybe every 10 days. Day by day procedure is not really reflective upon how much weight you lose over the long haul. Its like the cost per dollar ratio in the stock market. Real investors never check their stock earnings or losses every day

Replies

• flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!!! That dang scale is evil!
  • debralekicsummers
    debralekicsummers Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I agree 100% , the scale just demotivates you. I only weigh every 2 weeks. It is also nice to see a big loss, rather than bits and drabs .
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I am a daily weigher. I only record losses. I understand the fluctuations and am ok with them. I don't record gains - my objective is always to get lower then my last recorded loss.

When my losses slow down or I hit a plateau I look at the long term. I once thought I hit a plateau but over a months time I lost like 3.8 pounds which is just shy of a pound a week.

Question for the weekly (or monthly) weighers what if your weekly (or monthly) weigh-in lands on a bad-scale-day, like a day with water retention or PMS for the ladies or high glycogen from carbs or strenuous activity? Do you re-weigh the following day? Or wait until the next weigh-in day? My fear would be I would weigh in on a bad scale day and I would take that to heart. I would probably think my weekly (or monthly) effort didn't pay off and possible get discouraged!
  • blueskygbcn
    blueskygbcn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have to do daily or I will lose total control. I've learned this after trying every method for a couple of decades. I've learned to embrace the gains... and it may sound silly but I get excited in a weird way when I have a gain, because this weight loss game is like a rollercoaster, and I know as long as I continue, what goes up is about to come down.

Everyone is different. Glad you found what works for you.
  • mtbaker64
    mtbaker64 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am a daily weigher. I only record losses. I understand the fluctuations and am ok with them. I don't record gains - my objective is always to get lower then my last recorded loss.

When my losses slow down or I hit a plateau I look at the long term. I once thought I hit a plateau but over a months time I lost like 3.8 pounds which is just shy of a pound a week.

Question for the weekly (or monthly) weighers what if your weekly (or monthly) weigh-in lands on a bad-scale-day, like a day with water retention or PMS for the ladies or high glycogen from carbs or strenuous activity? Do you re-weigh the following day? Or wait until the next weigh-in day? My fear would be I would weigh in on a bad scale day and I would take that to heart. I would probably think my weekly (or monthly) effort didn't pay off and possible get discouraged!

This is basically what I do too. I weigh in daily (sometimes every other day) and always first thing in the morning. It seems to help keep me on track.

Have a great day!
  • blleadon
    blleadon Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I weigh frequently to look at trends, but I only record losses on a weekly basis (sometimes bi weekly)
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    decided the other day to weigh myself once a week or maybe every 10 days. Day by day procedure is not really reflective upon how much weight you lose over the long haul. Its like the cost per dollar ratio in the stock market. Real investors never check their stock earnings or losses every day

This is a great analogy that I am going to steal.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week either on Monday or Tuesday depends on which day I work as I weigh at the hospital where I work. I go in early so I can do this before I start work. I always use the same scale. This keeps me going.
  • verzanie
    verzanie Posts: 54 Member
    Options

I have seen gains of 5 lbs and got demoralised and then realised it was exercise, PMS and a whole bunch of other stuff I still weigh next day but try not to let it get to me as inches are going down. Scales are EVIL
  • silverburk
    silverburk Posts: 61
    Options
    I weigh daily, as well. People tell it would lead to an eating disorder, but for me I need to weigh in every day to keep me honest. When I stop weighing is when I seem to start gaining the dreaded weight. :) I find if I don't weigh every day I don't stay honest with myself.