doun 150 pounds! Never Doubt Yourself!

Options
a20d4025-68c7-4eb4-9cb7-7eef18828e76_zps397454f0.jpg

I would have never thought that my weight-loss would be so motivating and inspirational to others. I started this journey after my weight gain started to get out of control and realizing something had to be done in order to have a successful future.

I moved to the United States from Puerto Rico when I was 4 years old. I started playing baseball at very young age and continued playing until high school. After feeling “burned out” from the sport, I decided to put it aside and just focus on academics. At this point, going from a very active lifestyle to a completely non-active one, the weight started to build up. Heading to college just made things that much worse. Since eating healthy seems to be pretty expensive, many college students eat what they can, thus my case. This continued the weight gain.

It finally set in after a group of friends and I decided to take a little vacation in Nov 2011 to the Bahamas. Reviewing pictures afterwards, I noticed that that my weight had gotten to an all time high and I had to do something about it.

Single and 26, I set my goal to drop 100 pounds from the time we got back from the Bahamas in Nov 2011 until the next trip which was the following March 2012. I had a total of 4 months to try to reach this goal. I began by walking 45 minutes a day until I reached the point where I could jog the entire 45 minutes.

With the cardio, I started a high protein/ low carb diet. Fish and Chicken with a combination of fruits and vegetables became my “best-friends” during this process. Coming from a Latin household, the food aspect was extremely difficult to stick with, but I was determined! Going from eating rice and beans with fried chicken, fried plantains on a daily basis to grilled chicken and broccoli, was extremely hard. I also had to put away all the sweets and soft drinks, which were my two favorite things in life. There is nothing like a Dr. Pepper with a Snickers bar. I can recall eating around 10 mini chocolate bars a day thought-out a working day.

I did not completely eliminate Carbs because they are a major source of our energy. I used the "little rule" If it was originally white in color, I removed these items from my diet. These foods consisted of rice, pastas, breads, crackers, and tortillas. When it came to eating Carbs, I would eat whole vegetables, whole fruits, and whole grain cereals. When eating out and ordering a salad, I completely ate it dry. Absolutely No Dressing! Dressing takes the HEALTHY out of the salad. I also stayed away from Ketchup and Mayonnaise. I completely removed sodas, juices and any other item that are not Water. I drink nothing but Water!!

I permitted 1 cheat meal a week which usually fell on Friday Nights. When going out to dinner with friends, I would eat whatever I wanted, but sticking to water as my beverage.

The Saturday before the trip came and weigh-in also came. I was super excited to see that I reached my goal and had lost a 101! It took tons of hard word but I reached my goal.

I am currently at a total of 150-pound weight lost.

"Envisioning success brings you an inspiring image, but bringing that image to life requires action

Social Medias and Website

http://youtu.be/Q9GSkNu34MU

www.Facebook.com/EdwinVelezSuccess

www.EdwinVelezSuccess.com

www.twitter.com/EdwinVSuccess

http://instagram.com/edwinvelezsuccess

Replies

• Applegondi69
    Applegondi69 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Awesome results and you look great!!!!
  • Hopelessone
    Hopelessone Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Awesome Job!! Thank you for sharing and inspiring
  • terlyn20
    terlyn20 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    way to go! excellent job.
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    AWWWWW....CONGRATS!
  • Psycht12
    Psycht12 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing transformation! Great job, dude! You look like an entirely new man.
  • redwan2001
    redwan2001 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Great job buddy I use to weigh 350 lbs now I am at 165 lbs if I can do it so can anyone. Your proof of that great job :)

Nadia
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    simply amazing!
  • mzione904
    mzione904 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Congrats and thanks for posting how you did it!!
  • 4Shantel4
    4Shantel4 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I ran across your story.. Thank you and job well done !!!
  • qbrvp
    qbrvp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I always say guys do not inspire me because most guys I know stop drinking soda and lose twenty. However your story was so close to my own especially your struggle with eating good (bad). I am proud of you and you look great. Awesome work Buddy!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!