Runners: breathable socks?

Options
I took a 3-week hiatus from running because of final exams, which means that the last time I ran it was still something like 5C. Now it's 22C and I've never been running in these temperatures before! The thing I notice most is my feet - I wear just regular athletic socks and my feet feel like they're running on hot coals after 10 minutes or so. It's not a huge deal, but this is going to be my first summer running and I'd like to be as comfy as possible!

Suggestions?

Replies

• LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    interested in answers as well - bump
  • schnoomom
    schnoomom Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Smartwool running socks are awesome! Yes, they are wool but that's what makes them cool and wicking. They aren't cheap but so worth it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Is it your socks or shoes?

But to you're question... I prefer the thinnest synthetic socks I can find. I've got a bunch of swiftwicks that I really like, but also some zoics, pearl izumi's and 2XUs that are really nice as well.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Thorlo has some socks that are super thin except under the ball of the foot and under the heel where they have a bit more padding. They are very low cut too. I love these for hot weather. Here's a link:

https://www.thorlo.com/socks/xccu/132
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Smartwool running socks are awesome! Yes, they are wool but that's what makes them cool and wicking. They aren't cheap but so worth it.

Huh! I actually do have a pair of SmartWool socks that I bought for the winter, but never thought to use them in the summer. Might as well give them a try! Thanks!

Also, how would you know if it was a socks problem or shoes problem? My shoes look pretty breathable - they look to be about 80% mesh on the outside.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    These are the best running socks I have ever had: http://www.feeturesbrand.com/
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options

^^ Definitely - my favorites!
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Thorlo has some socks that are super thin except under the ball of the foot and under the heel where they have a bit more padding. They are very low cut too. I love these for hot weather. Here's a link:

I like Thorlo for a few reasons also. They are thin where you want thin and thick where you want cushion, but I'd also look into maybe it's your shoes not breathing. I also like them as they are mostly if not all made in the usa, I try to support local if I can. If it's really hot coals.....maybe you have a fungus?
  • snshine1028
    snshine1028 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I love my smart wool socks but started liking my thorlo pair too
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Thorlos all the way!
  • slainte35
    slainte35 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love my Smartwool. Use them for running and mountain biking. Not cheap but worth every cent.
  • mfunderburgh
    mfunderburgh Posts: 47 Member
    Options

what he said ^^^ feetures sock! I like the light cushion, high performance
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I use Puma's running socks. They have some cushion so my feet don't get as soar on long runs and they are sweat wicking, so my feet are never sweaty. Love em!

Once you find a good pair of socks, stick with them!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Feetures are my usual socks, bu Smartwool PhD are the greatest in terms of breathability. LOVE them.
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    UA Heat gear
  • imlewer
    imlewer Posts: 15
    Options
    Swiftwick and Fitsok are pretty good too and affordable. I've also had great success with Fila socks at TJ Maxx. Really cheap but hold up really well, and nice and thin.
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    I took a 3-week hiatus from running because of final exams, which means that the last time I ran it was still something like 5C. Now it's 22C and I've never been running in these temperatures before! The thing I notice most is my feet - I wear just regular athletic socks and my feet feel like they're running on hot coals after 10 minutes or so. It's not a huge deal, but this is going to be my first summer running and I'd like to be as comfy as possible!

Suggestions?

Double socking with a moisture wicking liner sock and a wool sock will leave your feet dry and prevent blisters
  • bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    Options

I like Thorlo for a few reasons also. They are thin where you want thin and thick where you want cushion, but I'd also look into maybe it's your shoes not breathing. I also like them as they are mostly if not all made in the usa, I try to support local if I can. If it's really hot coals.....maybe you have a fungus?

:love: Thorlo!!! I even wear their "dress/work" socks.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I wear the Nike Dri-Fit socks for running and working out. They've been great and have held up well.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I like Balega and their slightly less expensive line, Zulu. They are made in South Africa but sold everywhere (I live in the US). They're cotton and cushy but do air out well. I wore special synthetic socks once after being used to Balegas and found it was a horrible idea. My feet felt incredibly hot, they had no cushion, and the bottoms rubbed until my feet felt like they were on fire. Balegas are like running on a cloud, and they feel great even when it's insanely hot out :smile: