Feeling Flabby

Options
Is it normal to feel flabby everywhere when losing weight? I'm 27 years old (I drink tons of water) Starting weight was 254... Current weight is 223.6... I have lost 30.4 pounds and I am starting to feel my skin feel less full if that makes any sense. Before the skin under my arms and on my belly was harder now it seems more flabby and easier to move around. Sorry none of this makes sense I am just wondering if feel like flubber, for lack of better terms, was normal as you lose weight. What can I do about it? I have seen success pictures of people my size or larger lose 100-150 and they look great so I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

Replies

• dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    We never know how our skin will react during weight loss or if it will snap back or not. I think people who choose to lose weight at a fast pace may have a bigger problem with loose skin. Losing weight slowly gives skin time to adjust and shrink back. As you know I'm losing weight at a snail's pace but my stomach, which has endured two pregnancies (one by c-section) and a high weight of 215 is doing better than I hoped as far as tightening up. My advice is slower weight loss and strength training.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Yes, it makes sense and is normal. I agree with the above poster, slower weight loss and lifting weights will help with this tremendously among lots of other benefits.
  • TabithaMichelle85
    TabithaMichelle85 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm losing around 1-3 pounds a week and am not doing anything but counting calories and exercising for no more than 4-6 hours a week so I don't think I am over doing it... I think I need a trainer but I can't afford one
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I'm losing around 1-3 pounds a week and am not doing anything but counting calories and exercising for no more than 4-6 hours a week so I don't think I am over doing it... I think I need a trainer but I can't afford one

Let me rephrase my original comment to instead say 'people who choose to lose weight on a very low calorie diet may have a bigger problem with loose skin'.

Maybe this link will help you.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/338154-risk-of-excess-skin-after-weight-loss/
  • hannahjonesmom
    Options
    just starting out and I'm worried about that I'm at or around 223 and I fear if I loose too much not sure what I'll look like! Good Luck and keep striving I'm going to try to incorporate strength training - I figure hopefully the weights will help the skin tone somewhat!

:smile:
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm having same issue. I have lost 47 lbs since 1-15-13, and I feel wonderful, but skin feels alot different. Also my strecth marks are itching alot. I only had this when I was pregnant last (20 years ago) when skin was pulling everywhere,and now to the weight lose too. anyone had this issue? Have tried Vit C lotions, strecth mark lotins, didn't work....
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

Do you exercise in a gym (is it one of the chains?) or at home? What kind of exercises do you do? You do not need a trainer. Which body areas are the more problematic?
  • TabithaMichelle85
    TabithaMichelle85 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

Do you exercise in a gym (is it one of the chains?) or at home? What kind of exercises do you do? You do not need a trainer. Which body areas are the more problematic?

I workout at the gym and I spend anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour on the elliptical and 30 min to an hour on the treadmill I also use the machines for my arms and legs and I do some work out videos like the biggest loser and 30 day shred
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I workout at the gym and I spend anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour on the elliptical and 30 min to an hour on the treadmill I also use the machines for my arms and legs and I do some work out videos like the biggest loser and 30 day shred

Do the treadmill and elliptical with HITT, and also do the weight machines 3 sets of 15 repetitions each on the higher weight you can lift and progressively increase the weight that you can lift. Do they have classes that you can take for free in your gym? Take one or two as well. It is normal to feel the flab but your body will slowly start to fit tighter.
    These are some arm exercises that you can use with free weights in the gym to start.
    http://www.livestrong.com/video/1000190-ways-lose-flabby-arms-pushups/
    Do squats and lunges with progressively higher weights in the gym (like they are in JM shred). You will get there. It does not happen overnight.
  • AbyXtremE
    AbyXtremE Posts: 3
    Options
    yes thats really a point ..

but there is something , a fit body is always better than a fatty piece of meat ..
    see loosing fat is not like , if u go on doing stuff at the gym , you building muscle , and of course wasting fat .. but the quick way of doing it .. or let me tell , the SMART way of doing it is following a diet .. a diet which can drain out excess fat .. I came across something like that , i am posting it in my source .. its a free guide

Source : https://apps.facebook.com/fatlossfactorprox/