what have been your major eye-opening things you've learned?

Options
For me, I've learned two major things when I started paying attention and losing weight.

1. How much I was really eating, portion-wise...

When I started weighing/measuring food, after I got over the initial shock of "that's it, that's all I can eat?" I realized that I was routinely eating 3 - 4 servings of most foods at all 3 meals on a daily basis and was probably over 3000 calories some days. Even now (at 1900 cals on MFP) I sometimes eat 2 servings of some foods, but only if it fits into my calorie goals and is decently healthy overall...

2. How that feeling of "blech" and odd aches and pains seems to subside just losing 10 - 20 lbs and eating healthier (and less processed) foods.

Replies

• MissNova
    MissNova Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    For me it has been the sudden way my boobs are shrinking. I also am more aware of the foods and portion control.
  • rockinright
    rockinright Posts: 241
    Options
    For me it has been the sudden way my boobs are shrinking. I also am more aware of the foods and portion control.

LOL...as a male, I WANT mine to shrink! Mewbs aren't sexy...
  • mooz
    mooz Posts: 101
    Options
    I learned that my Colitis stays in remission if I eat clean. Anything processed and high in carbohydrates will cause a flare up for me.

I learned that if I don't pay attention to what I put in my mouth, the family history of diabetes will live on in me and I want to make that history...history!

I learned that I am not a food addict. I am someone who makes bad choices when it comes to food and I am learning to make better choices. [this was a HUGE one for me - always the victim....]

I learned to forgive myself for mistakes with food. I'm only human and learning something new sometimes takes time.

I also learned that my body can actually take exercise! And that I can be pretty kick a** at it!
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    MEWBS! i havnt heard that one..heh
  • rockinright
    Options
    MEWBS! i havnt heard that one..heh

Man boobs = man bewbs (internet lingo) = Mewbs. :)
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    LMBO!

I've learned:

2TBSP of dressing is a huge amount!

If I don't exercise, I tend to binge (don't ask why, can't explain it.)

If I find something that is fun (for me it's Yoga & Running), I will *want* to exercise.

My body craves activity.

Good food is good to me.
  • MakeLifeBright
    Options
    I have learned

1. It is OK to take care of me

2. I ate wayyy more than I needed to

3. I am stronger (mental & emotional) than I thought I was

4. I closed other people off because I was so self concious

5. I can do any thing I want with hard work and patience
  • rockinright
    Options
    LMBO!

I've learned:

2TBSP of dressing is a huge amount!

If I don't exercise, I tend to binge (don't ask why, can't explain it.)

If I find something that is fun (for me it's Yoga & Running), I will *want* to exercise.

My body craves activity.

Good food is good to me.

3. I will NEVER enjoy exercise, I pretty much have to just force myself to do it. As of yet I don't do enough of it. What gets me is how few calories it actually burns...
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing for me was that I was generally not eating enough! I know, how can you be overweight and not eat enough? I would typically not eat breakfast, barely eat for lunch, then be so starving by the end of the day I would come home from work and munch while cooking dinner, eat far to large of portions (and sometimes the wrong food), then continue to munch away until almost bedtime . . . or as in my husband's case . . . continue to munch in bed before going to sleep! I was still not consuming enough calories most days though, so of course everything I did eat ended up right on my butt!

Now my biggest advice to others is to eat breakfast. I can't beleive how much of a difference it makes to how satisfied you feel all day just by taking a few minutes to fit this in.
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I cannot live on 1200 or so calories...which is why I never succeed long term when I diet. I can however adopt a healthier lifestyle which includes exericise so I can eat more and still lose. I have learned that it's okay to forgive myself when I mess up. But more importantly, I have learned that I am not alone in this desire to lose weight and to struggle with it.. I have learned that there are many others like me and that there is a tremondous community of support and assistance waiting for me if I just let myself be open to it.
  • kpie11
    kpie11 Posts: 53
    Options
    Mine are pretty much the same as everyone elses:

1. I ate way way way more than I should have.
    2. If I don't get some sort of excercise and I'm stuck at home I snack constantly.
    3. Exercise is actually good for you. ( I use to be scared that I'd keel over and die if I had any physical exertion.)
    4. Healthy food doesn't taste horrible.
    5. The most important thing I've learned is that I have stronger will power than I gave myself credit for! I realized that I CAN do this!

I want to thank everyone for their support and just know I'm here if you need me! Good luck everyone!
  • MissNova
    MissNova Posts: 563 Member
    Options

LOL...as a male, I WANT mine to shrink! Mewbs aren't sexy...

Lol! Good luck!
  • moosenbratsmommy
    Options
    that 1400 calories is actually a LOT of food when you eat the right things!
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    my weight, and life in general, could be and has been, much worse than it currently is. :ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell:
  • Garfy
    Garfy Posts: 41
    Options
    I've learned that:

1) My portion sizes were my downfall
    2) You can eat & enjoy your food whithout over consuming on calories, if you take the time to plan your meals properly
    3) I can maintain this 'lifestyle' change (I'm not actually on a diet, yet I'm losing weight !)
    4) Just how many calories a 'whole box of cadbury chocolate fingers' is & how much I would have to exercise to burn them off ! :)
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I was actually surprised to learn how much I could eat and still lose fat. For me, eating between 1500-1800 calories a day has been very doable.

Also, finding out that if I'm active, most of my calories should come from carbs. It's contrary to everything I've ever thought, but honestly, eating the right kind of carbs has been extraordinary for me. I FEEL AMAZING, much younger now than I did 2 years ago.

And finally, realizing that hard exercise is exhilarating and not debilitating at all. :laugh: Yay for burpees and boot camp!!!!
  • ksproston
    ksproston Posts: 6,931 Member
    Options
    1. For me, learning portion size was key. Measuring and weighing was huge for me.
    2. For me, I learned that I actually enjoy running. I don't push myself because I want it to continue to be enjoyable.
    3. I learned that I am worth it.
    4. I learned that the DH and kiddos will eat when they're hungry enough instead of complaining what I've fixed. I'm not a short-order cook.
    5. I have learned that I need to be the example for my kids. I, finally, am comfortable with exercising in front of my family.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I have learned...that I am worth it.
  • Astralmage
    Astralmage Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow, great input everyone.

For me it was portion sizes and being amazed at how portion sizes are still big when your not eating junk.
    I rediscovered natural foods. Fruits and vegitables.
    Spices are my new friend, though you have to be careful since some contain some pretty awful stuff.
    Label reading is only hard when you dont take your glasses. LOL
    I found out you can cook without oils or butter. HCG diet guys cant have it in the phase I am in, but I have learned some great new ways to cook.
    I know that making this life change is going to be easy and that I will succeed for my grand kids.
    I have found it is awsome fitting into all of my cloths for the first time in over 10 yrs.
    I have found that I will need to make more money soon to pay for my new wardrobe next month, YAY.

I think thats it...
  • Becky_Boop
    Becky_Boop Posts: 96
    Options
    I've only recently got back into my attempted new lifestyle, and even more recently back on here! Yet, I've learnt...

1) as good as chocolate/cake/bread/cheese is (and that sentance alone made my mouth water!) sometimes, it isn't worth the hour at the gym!

2) I can't deprive myself though, small amounts of "the good stuff" help me keep on track, and when I've been super good before I feel less guilty after.

3) excersise is exhausting! There hasn't been a day so far that I haven't been begging for sleep by 9pm.

4) I am really unhealthy! My mum and aunt who are 30 years older than me can out-walk me. If I ever want to look as good as them at 50+ I need to take care of myself (plus it's not "cool" to cry up a mountain 'cause mummy won't stop and let you rest!)