calling for first crossfit workout stories

Options
bprague
bprague Posts: 564 Member
I just had my intro class for crossfit and I am utterly humbled by my experience. I would greatly appreciate hearing your first WOD experience and where you are now :) I have never felt so out of shape in my life!

I walked in and we did jump rope, shuttle runs, ran through proper squat form, proper pushup form, and did some situps . After that we did some stretches (best part of my workout, hahaha!) and finally got to the intro WOD. This was the ring-plank pull up things (gee, think I've never done this before?), a 14 lb slam ball- lifted straight overhead and slammed into the ground into squat position and back up, and air squats. Each exercise was done in reps of 21-16-9. I finished all this masochism with 5 burpees, for forms sake.

Things to note: I wanted to puke at the very end. I honestly didn't think I could complete the exercise midway through and I am ashamed to say I only kept going b/c of their encouragement. I am afraid I won't be able to complete the WODs for not intro.

Soooo... I'd love to hear words of encouragement and stories from all you crossfitters. Pretty please!

Replies

• _thatstephaniegirl
    Options
    First off, CONGRATULATIONS! The first WOD is alwaaaaaays a killer because it goes past being just physical, to mental and emotional. It's tough to get thru but you did it! From here, it only gets better. I promise you. I have been crossfitting since Feb 2012 and I absolutely love it. Of course, there are times after a difficult WOD where I swear I'm never coming back but I always do lol. I started off slow, always the last one to finish, but I improved over time. There are still times I finish last but I never feel like a loser because the Crossfit community at my box is so encouraging (that never changes). You're gonna be sore in places you never thought you could be, muscles will ache that you never knew you had, but you will never feel better in your whole life. I guarantee you if you stay committed. Welcome to the Crossfit family and keep on going!
  • JudieDaniel
    JudieDaniel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I never post on here, but happened to see your call...I did CrossFit for 6-8 months or so, then had to take a 6 month hiatus, but just went back last week! I agree with the other poster -- the first WOD is so hard. It is so much harder than you thought working out could ever be. But they do get (mostly) easier. And everyone in CrossFit is SO encouraging. What you mentioned about only finishing because of their encouragement -- that is one of the things I love about the CrossFit community!! You may feel like you can't make it, but everyone is cheering you on. And it DOES get easier overall. And you WILL get stronger. There will still be exercises and WODs that feel like you won't make it -- but you will.

After six months off and starting back last week -- I forgot how sore your body can be and how hard a workout could be. But I felt amazing. And it was so good to see familiar faces in my gym, and hear everyone being so encouraging and excited to have me back!

So yes, CONGRATS! You made it through your first WOD. CrossFit will be an amazing experience, if you let it. Welcome to the CrossFit community!!!

PS - I still hate burpees.
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LouiseZoeH
    LouiseZoeH Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My first WOD at crossfit, I was pretty sure I was going to die walking out of there. I couldn't belive I made it through, and wasn't very sure if I was going to be able to walk for the rest of the week!
    I've been doing it just over 2 months now, and I love it! I love that it's hard and different every day. I love that I am surrounded by nothing but great, encouraging people, and everyone is so happy to be there together, I read somewhere recently that crossfit is the only place where everyone is cheering on the last person, because just finishing, is winning.
    It's something I never looked back on and second guessed. I go everyday, and look forward to it, because I know I'm surrounded by amazing people who will cheer me on to the end, and I'm only getting closer to my goals.
    My brother competed in the open WOD's this year for the crossfit games and to watch everyone come together and cheer him on, and so many people show up to offer encouragment and cheers. It's one of the best communities I have ever joined and become a part of, and something I doubt I will ever stop doing now that I've started!
    Don't stop, it only gets better!
  • ChadWGreen
    ChadWGreen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I've been doing cross fit for 3 months now.. my first wod was Fran.. after all those pull ups my shoulders were so sore it was painful.. like I almost went to the ER painful lol. I still get sore but I have improved sooo much. I honestly believe I can do anything after 100 burpee box jumps or a fight gone bad wod. Keep going!!!
  • whipdancer
    whipdancer Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I did my intro class, then did the "free" intro week they give you to try it out.

First actual workout at crossfit? Not bad, not much harder than what I'd been doing (let me know that I actually am working hard in my workouts). Enjoyed most of the work out, sweated my butt off, felt good and tired. I can see the attraction and anything that gets you motivated to move is a good thing.

In the end I decided it wasn't for me.

First - I really don't like the music they play (lots of angry rock/alt-rock - I don't care for angry) and they play it loud. Second - I can't run on unstable surfaces (long story involving lots of ankle issues) and they are a staple of the workouts at the locations near me. Third - I am not interested in doing <insert ground crawling exercise> on gravel strewn-pavement. I'm a programmer and I teach dance and anything that leaves me with sore/scraped/cut hands is off my list (and when the zombie apocalypse comes, I won't be doing much programming or dancing - so then it won't matter).
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't have any interest in Crossfit. My boss started going this year and is a 50 year old woman. Her stories crack me up. This past weekend she said her regular trainer joined their WOD and when he took his shirt off she forgot what she was doing and lost her time. :laugh:

She's doing great though and it is definitely showing. I just hate that they have brainwashed here into 100% paleo. She is convinced she is going to get sick and die if she doesn't eat paleo.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    WOOHOOO!!!! It may not be for everyone, and those who have never tried it and talk crap about it should at least give it a shot. I have started and quit CF like 4 times now?? BUT that's only because of A) my schedule (I'm a CSI and work weird hours), B) Injuries, and C) my husband is the coach/owner SOOO sometimes it's hard being coached by your SO. haha
    I love it because it pushes you past any self doubt. I'm a runner and there have been many days that I just don't feel like doing the full run and I turn around and go home... that's because no one is there telling me not to. In CF they just cheer you on until you cross the "finish line". I was never embarassed for being last, as long as I finished strong.

I say try it a few more times. I was told to do that with Yoga and I'm so glad I did because I wasn't a fan the first couple times I did it but now I'm slightly addicted :) I do plan on going back to CF once my back heals but until then I'm a yogi. Anyways, good luck and enjoy!!!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options

She's doing great though and it is definitely showing. I just hate that they have brainwashed here into 100% paleo. She is convinced she is going to get sick and die if she doesn't eat paleo.

Yea, some CF trainers push nutrition a little too much... and it seems to be the ones with ZERO nutrition education. My hubby likes to "recommend" the paleo lifestyle to his clients IF they are trying to find ways to better their performance. My hubby thankfully does eat brown rice, so that makes cooking dinner a little easier ;)
  • zarabeythe
    zarabeythe Posts: 10
    Options
    Hello! I just started crossfit this week.. Today was day 3, and it's the first day that I wrote about it so I'll share that with you.
    I am extremely out of shape, I've joined a Journey to Health program through a hospital in town, and had gotten a 'groupon' style deal for the crossfit. I signed up first for their Intro week, 7 days of training to learn the crossfit basics. As you can tell by my ticker, I have a LONG way to go but so far... I really love my crossfit 'gym'.

On monday, my first workout... I'll admit I was nervous and scared, and I actually lost my breakfast. But I showed up yesterday, and again today to stick with it and really make a change in my life.

So my post (from a group msg board earlier today)

Here I am, just finished up day 3 of crossfit.
    311699_438939136149764_1868497962_n.jpg
    I think that image sums it up. But seriously, I am amazed at how amazing the crossfit vacaville 'gym' is. Today I was able to finish the entire warmup without compromising on quantity or duration like on previous days. I still have some modifications, I'm doing pushups on a bar, I have to do jumping pull ups... but if I can get through this week, I know it won't be long until I can do them for REAL.

Today the warmup was:

Rowing for 5 mins
    10 Squats
    10 Sits up
    10 Pushups
    10 Pullup
    10 Push Press
    10 Mountain Climbers
    Sampson Stretch
    100 jump rope

Then we go to the workout part. Which was 10 mins long, do as many circuits as I can:
    6 push press
    12 mountain cliimbers
    50 jump rope

I completed 3 and 2/3 of that routine in the 10 mins. I was so ready to quit at 2, and somehow they encouraged me and helped me push through to do almost twice as much as I thought I could.

Then I had a cool down period, and then stretching. My legs are super sore, but in a good way. With the tracking from MyFitnessPal, I've been able to keep my calorie counts at around 1200 a day (not adjusting for exercise which is hard to track with these routines) I just can't seem to hit the 1480 'goal' the workouts and extra water are making me not hungry!
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options
    First WOD for me was just over one year ago. Hand-stand push-ups, ring dips, and push-ups. 21-15-9. It was hard, but within a couple of weeks of seeing all of the different things Crossfit throws at you I was hooked. I still do 2-3 traditional strength training workouts each week and try to keep my Crossfit sessions to 2-3 times per week. Any more and my body starts to get nagging injuries.

I agree with the comments about "don't knock it until you try it". I've lost count of how many "I know someone who did crossfit and it is bad" or "I haven't done it but I don't like it" comments. Most of the time those comments come from someone that clearly has it figured out, as demonstrated by their overweight/obese status.
  • indeatheaters101
    indeatheaters101 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bump! Start my foundations class tomorrow.
  • bushokie
    bushokie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    after the on ramp training my first wod was 400 run and 25 wall balls and 25 kettle bell for 3 rounds and a visit to the barf bucket
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    My orientation WOD was a 1/2 Chelsea with 10 Burpees at the end...

"Chelsea"
    EMOM for 30 Minutes of:
    5 Pull Ups
    10 Push Ups
    15 Squats

We did 15 minutes.

My first real day in the Box was:

Strength Training: Back Squats
    40% 1RM x5 = 95
    50% 1RM x5 = 115
    60% 1RM x3 = 135
    75% 1RM x5 = 155
    85% 1RM x3 = 165
    95% 1RM x1 = 175

WOD:
    For Time; 4 Rounds of:
    400m Run
    40 Air Squats (Sx: 40/30/20/10)
    40 Push-ups (Sx: 40/30/20/10)
    40 Leg Lifts (Sx: 40/30/20/10)

Time: 38:55

Needless to say I was spent... but I showed up the next morning and I haven't missed a day yet.

I started Week 6 today. My progress has been great. While I feel stronger and I'm seeing changes in the mirror (more than the scale), my success has been more at the physiological level. My T2 Diabetes is slowly getting better. I'm down to a 6% A1c and a 95 fasted blood glucose! Haven't really seen a big weight drop, but then I've been told not to expect to for a while. I'm definitely much stronger and the BWE WODs are getting a bit easier. I still scale most WODs, but I'm improving each week. Just keep at it.

It sucks while you are doing the WODs, but feeling great the other 23.5 hours of the day is the reward.
  • indeatheaters101
    indeatheaters101 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

WOD:
    For Time; 4 Rounds of:
    400m Run
    40 Air Squats (Sx: 40/30/20/10)
    40 Push-ups (Sx: 40/30/20/10)
    40 Leg Lifts (Sx: 40/30/20/10)

Time: 38:55

It sucks while you are doing the WODs, but feeling great the other 23.5 hours of the day is the reward.

Holy cow on that WOD. That is intimidating. But love the part about 23.5 hours of the day. Do damn true.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!