TDEE question!

Options
_Josee_
_Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
Hi,

I'm a 5'6" 128 lbs 28 years old women.
I calculated my tdee at deskjob (1670 cal) and eat around that number everyday I don't work out. When I do workout, I eat those extras calories.

But since starting maintenance, I gained 2-3 lbs. I want them gone! But don't seems to be able to lose it.Could it be that I'm not eating enough?

I was wondering if I should calculate my tdee WITH my workouts included and eat those calories everyday instead ?!?

Any advices?

Workout schedule is usually (in a week): 2x 90 min yoga classes, 3x 5-7k runs, 2 x 20-25km bike rides. Is it moderate activity ? or light ?

I'm at a lost here...

Replies

• Reneelynnjones
    Reneelynnjones Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not sure what TDEE means (new to this) but every time I start gaining, I change up my workout routine. Your body gets used to the same old same old. Good luck!!
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    How long ago did you start maintenance?

If this is a quick gain after starting maintenance, it is probably just your body adjusting to the new cal levels. Give it some time.

If this is 2-3 lbs over a reasonable period of time (a month or two?) then you may be slightly overeating. Your exercise cals might be off. Do you use the MFP calculator or an HRM? Either way, I might try reducing exercise cals by 25%. Your new level of fitness could cause you to burn less calories even at the same weight.
  • LinFlemmer331
    LinFlemmer331 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    What I understand is that BMR is the amount of calories your body needs to live, and TDEE is the amount of calories you use daily with your exercise etc. I have been told to do 20% below your TDEE to lose weight. Go to scoobysworkshop.com to use the BMR calculator. Hope this helps!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    If you work out, your TDEE should include that information. And any calculator you find on the Internet is just going to be an estimate. You will actually have to test it out over a period of weeks to determine whether or not it's correct, based on how much you are (or aren't) losing. If you calculate a deficit from your estimated TDEE and, after a month, you haven't lost any weight at all (or have gained), then your estimate is too high.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    When switching to maintenance, the body naturally gains a couple of pounds of water and glycogen, etc while everything settles out. If you're truly eating maintenance, it's that and not actual body mass. Give it more time and if it hasn't stabilized in another 2-4 weeks then drop the calories.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I already calculated my tdee with Scooby page. I used tdee-bmr when I hitted a plateau in my weight loss and it turned out I was under eating ALOT!

I was just wondering if maybe the same things was happening now. I'm afraid to overeat or overestimate my calories burned so I may easily be undereating again.

I use a HRM when I run or bike. For yoga I use the MFP number (minus 30 minutes for the meditation parts).

I guess I'll be adding 100 calories a day for a week etc etc and see what happens.

PS: I've been on maintenance for 9 weeks.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I already calculated my tdee with Scooby page. I used tdee-bmr when I hitted a plateau in my weight loss and it turned out I was under eating ALOT!

I was just wondering if maybe the same things was happening now. I'm afraid to overeat or overestimate my calories burned so I may easily be undereating again.

I use a HRM when I run or bike. For yoga I use the MFP number (minus 30 minutes for the meditation parts).

I guess I'll be adding 100 calories a day for a week etc etc and see what happens.

PS: I've been on maintenance for 9 weeks.

So you've slowly gained 2-3 lbs over the course of 9 weeks?

Just drop your calorie target by 100.