Biggest Loser contest at work

Options
I am a teacher and would like to start a Biggest Loser contest at work with some of my co-workers. Have you ever done this or something similar? How often did you weigh in? Was there a cash prize? Did you count pounds lost or a percentage of weight? Any help to get me started would be GREAT! :)

Replies

• jsoaper01
    jsoaper01 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    We are doing it now. Its a percentage of weight lost. There is a cash prize but must be donated to charity of your choice. We weight in weekly.
  • midwesthiker
    Options
    We did one at work. It was based on % lost - not pounds. And it was grouped by men and women (those darn men lose so much faster!). The main prize was $100, but the "runner up" prizes were exercise dvds and hand weights. I didn't win, but did get some nice participation prizes - a water bottle and pedometer. There were also daily emails with inspirational things and links to health sites.

We are doing a 10,000 steps/day challenge right now. For the next 8 weeks anyone who averages 10,000 steps/day gets entered into a drawing for gift cards. Of course we all get water bottles and various other consolation prizes too. I like doing these challenges, it makes it a little more rewarding. :)
  • new_me_9_67
    new_me_9_67 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    We' have been doing one for a while now and have the rules down pretty good.
    and we are being selfish we keep the prize money HAHA.
    here are the rules:

• $25 initial buy-in.
    • Everyone gets a raffle ticket at the buy-in.
    • Each week players weigh in on _____ morning. (If you miss a weigh-in you owe $5 and get no ticket for the week. Travel for work or any use of DTO are the exceptions.)
    • For each week you have a 0 lb gain over your previous lowest recorded weight, you earn a raffle ticket.
    • For each week you gain more than 0.5 lbs you owe $5.
    • At the end of the contest, 50% of the pot goes to the person with the greatest percentage of weight lost. A raffle with the tickets will be held for the remaining 50%.
    • At any point you may “buy out” of the contest for $20.
    • The contest is meant to encourage exercise and a healthier diet. Any supplements that are taken that cannot be purchased over the counter will result in immediate disqualification for the Biggest Loser prize.
    • If you happen to become injured or ill during the contest, you can withdraw and receive your initial buy in amount back. Any weekly payments are forfeited.
    • Each person is allowed no more than 2 weigh-ins on Wednesday morning, and the lowest weight is the one that counts for the contest.

Send me a message if you have any questions
  • new_me_9_67
    new_me_9_67 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    forgot to mention that I have a spreadsheet already formatted and can send you a sample and how it works. but it's pretty easy to put one together
  • theresabell67
    theresabell67 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    We just finished our first contest last week. We did percentage of weight loss, there was a cash prize and we weighed in weekly. Only one person was responsible for being present during the weigh in and that person calculated the percentages, we all used the same scale at work. And we added that if you gained 4 or more pounds in one week then you had to pay in $5.00. Hope this helps.
  • smketchum
    smketchum Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    We did one at work and it was so motivating for me! A friend set it up and here's what we did:

We weighed in and measured weekly
    You get 5 points per day for staying under your calorie goal
    5 points per day for drinking your water goal (8 8 ounces glasses)
    You get 5 points for every 30 minutes of phyiscal activity per day
    At the end of the week, you add up your points, plus 1 point for every pound lost and 1 point for every inch lost

There was a weekly prize of $10 per week and we did it for 8 weeks and then there was a prize at the end for the highest percentage of weight lost - first and second place

Obviously monetary contributions and prizes would depend on how big your group is and what everyone agrees to, but I really liked the daily points because when I felt like doing maybe 30 minutes of exercise, I would do 60 so I could get the extra 5 points and at the end of the day when I really wanted a snack if it would throw me over by event 10 calories, I would skip it so I could get my 5 points.

Oh, and I won 6 out of the 8 weeks and the biggest loser prize :). To be honest only a couple of us really partipated regularly and it's a small office, but it still really helped me stay on track.
  • Brett_Alan
    Options
    We were gonna do one but everyone dropped out but me so I guess that makes me winner lol
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I ran a contest for the company I work for. We did it in teams and we calculated percentage of starting weight. We did weekly weigh ins and had small prizes for the winners of those, then at the end of the 2 months, the biggest losing team got $250.00 per person. We also rewarded the single biggest loser with extra prizes from throughout the competition. It worked really well, people got really into it!
  • ck12380
    ck12380 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    We are in the process of starting a contest at work. I like some of these idea's, although I think points for calories can be tough, because that depends a lot on honesty of the people involved.
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have done these in many of the offices that we do corporate wellness programs with. It is done by body fat percentage. There is a cash prize and every player contributes to the pot. There is also a separate male and female prize since men typically lose faster. They weighed in weekly in the office.
  • casmithis
    casmithis Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I also did it at my local gym. We did percentage with weekly weigh in. The local travel agency donated and all-inclusive trip. HUGE incentive. I came in second!!
    We also had weekly contests/ prizes for things like most exercise classes atended. I didn't agree with this since I'm a runner and my runs didn't count. But in the end I was happy since I lost so much.

Great idea. Have fun.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I help host one at work and oddly I just won it.

Everyone who particiapates gives a $10 buy in.
    We do both weight and measurements (or either if they prefer)
    We require weekly weigh-ins and/or measurements
    Any increase cost you $1 per pound or $1 for any measurement increase.
    Every other week we have some simple prizes to motivate people.
    At then end 1/2 the cash goes to the winner for biggest loss based on percentage lost, not just the most pounds.
    We also have other prizes for most weight, most inches, etc.
    We usually do at least 16 weeks.

We actually donate the other 1/2 of all proceeds to a scholarhsip fund for student here at the college.
  • HeartME511healthy
    HeartME511healthy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    We are about to end one of many, and currently these are our rules, but now they want to change it to if you know you will not be available for a weight in then weight in a day before or after.. but everything else applies. I don't agree with this one but since you all have done it at work, then let me bounce this here..... HERE ARE OUR CURRENT RULES: I will say that all winnings go to weekly winner and end of contest who lost the most percentage ends at the final date as well. We've had from 8 to 14 contestants and running 2 or 3 challenges per year lasting from 9 weeks to 14. Feed back on new rules options without missing the point of the challenge would be great.

Biggest Loser Competition
    Rules:
    • $25 Entry Fee + $5 Weekly weigh-ins Total entry amount $90.00. (weekly winnings will be based on the number of people if there are 10 people then the weekly win is $50.00, if there’s more then of course the weekly win is based on number of people *$5.00, so the more the merrier)
    • Contest will start on Jan 8th, start weighing in on week ........ weigh-in will end on the 9th April after that we will not accept any more contestants.
    • ALL WEEKLY WEIGH-INS WILL BE ON WEDNESDAY! The first weekly winner is on Jan 15th. The contest ends on May 9th.
    • If a person was in the previous contest that ended on August 14th, to qualify for any weekly winnings you have to be within 5 pounds of your ending weight of that challenge to benefit in the weekly winning. (Example: if my weight ended at 150 then I can weigh in at 155 and still qualify for weekly winnings by Jan 22nd, if I’m 156 and the winner on that week than I am eliminated for that weekly winnings and the next person with the most weight loss is the weekly winner.)
    • If there are a few of us who gained one week, some plateaued that same week, which gave us no one who lost anything there will be no weekly winner of that week.
    • We may have two winnings spots first and second place winning at the end of the challenge. Only if there is .5% difference between the final two people, otherwise only one winner. If there are two winners then the 2nd winner will get the base of weekly winning money, the 1st place winner will get the balance. (Example: if we have 10 people @ 5 a week then 2nd place winner will get 50.00, this does not eliminate the weekly winner at the end of the challenge)
    • Weekly winner will be based on the lowest weight during the contest (Example: if my lowest weight is 153, then I gained 155, then lost 150 then my actual weight lost is only 3 pounds not 5.)
    • To win the Grand Prize, whoever loses the greatest % of weight lose thru Sept 4th – Dec 4th, wins the Grand Total pot. We will have if there is an exact Tie with the greatest % lost, then the winners split the pot (this counts for the weekly winners’ pot and as well for the Grand Prize Winners).
    • All Fees are non-refundable. If you drop out, all fees are non-refundable.
    • All payment is upfront; unless it’s missed the scale will be located at Marshua’s Desk (2E600B). There must be a witness present to validate your weight.
    • For the scale we round down to the pound if the scale uses ounces. (Example if the scale says you weigh 145.8 pounds. Then we will log you at 145 pounds.)
    • No Disrobing or Loading up allowed during the Weigh-ins.
    • We recommend weighing in with no shoes and light clothing during weigh-ins. Keep it consistent.
    • Remember to always consult your health care professional before making any significant changes to your dietary habits or your physical activity routines. Use caution. Please no Fasting.
    • And most of all have fun! We are here to lose weight, feel good and look great!
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    We are on our 3rd Biggest Loser contest at work.

We all weigh in at the same time on the same day of the week once a week.
    The winners are decided by body fat % lost.
    We've done 15 weeks before but this time around are only doing 10.
    If you gain anything from one week to the next you pay $1.

When we have 10 or more people then it is a $10 buy in. 1st place gets 50% cash. 2nd & 3rd each get 25%.
    When we don't have as many (right now there are 4 of us) it's a $20 buy in and winner takes all.
  • bri2x
    bri2x Posts: 1
    Options
    I just started the first Biggest Loser Challenge at my job. Here is what we did:

We did not have people pay to participate, the company is supporting this is going to pay out at the end for the prize
    Duration is 12 weeks with weekly weigh ins on Wednesday.
    We split into two teams based off of weight to make the teams fair.
    We check percentage weight loss not pounds and only HR is the only person who knows everybody's weight so its fair. We have an Excel spread sheet that already calculates everybody's change in weight from week to week.
    THERE IS NO WEEKLY PRIZE this is a competition for 12 weeks not just loosing weight for one week. However contestants can earn stickers by participating in healthy events that the company sponsors and if they fill up the sheet they get a prize.
    Send emails to the teams 2x a week with daily tips and reminders of how each team is doing by letting them know the percentage loss.
    Trying to come up with competitions to perform at work such as who can climb the stairs the fastest for a prize or who can do the most squats without giving up. --- If anyone has any suggestions for mini competitions that would be great!
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I have done it for at least 5 year :)
    Basically we make everyone pay in $20.

Weigh in weekly for 12 weeks.

If you miss 3 weeks in a row you forfeit.

Percentage of weight lost is how it's measured.

Prize money is split 50%, 30%20% so more people "win"

I assigned #s rather than names, so weight can stay private. I sent out emails documenting progress each week so everyone knew where they were. Any questions feel free to message me :)
  • lrogalny
    lrogalny Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello. We are about to start our second biggest loser contest. The biggest problem we had with the first contest was how to calculate the winning team when a team member was on vacation or traveling for work. Does anyone have a spreadsheet that would help out with this?