when should I start c25k?

Options
Hi all, just wanted a bit of advice from some people who have been there and done it. I need to mix up my exercise and have been thinking of doing the c25k. I'm worried that i'm still too overweight and I may damage my joints or something. I can sustain cardio for about an hour now, but thats not something continuous its things like zumba. Has anybody been through anything similar? btw my BMI is 37, weight is 209lbs, have lost just over 70lbs so far but would like to lose at least another 70.

Replies

• lindsienygaard
    lindsienygaard Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I just got to 191 lbs today and I'm on week 5 of c25k. I love it. Starting out was realy hard, but you'll get the hang of it.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I vote just start it and see how you feel. That's what I did. If you find you are too winded after the running portions, it's okay to extend the walking portions or repeat days (I did this a lot). Something else you can try is simply walking the entire route you plan to use for a couple weeks before you start.

Really, it's a great program. It eases you into it, and never gives you more than you are able to handle as long as you listen to your body too. You'll rock this! It sounds like you are already fitter than I was when I started. Good luck!
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Right now.

Start lifting weights too.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    *And for further motivation, just keep telling yourself that it will only get easier the more you do it. Your muscles will get stronger and you body will get lighter! What a deal!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Too heavy?

I "ran" a 10k at 375lbs
    I did a 2 triathlons at 350lbs

Start now...
  • nytefalle
    nytefalle Posts: 63
    Options
    You should be fine, just start slowly and get fitted for running shoes first. All of my initial running setbacks were from being too stingy to get GOOD shoes and my body definitely paid for it. Good shoes and a good sports bra set me back nearly $200, which was enough to give me major anxiety. I eventually realized that it's an investment in myself and I need to keep going in order to justify that investment.

Also, jog, don't run. You're not trying to set record times in the beginning. Work on strengthening your muscles, bones, tendons, etc and you'll get faster later. Take rest/active recovery days in between. I started Zombies, Run! 5K training in the 200# range and am going strong.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Too heavy?

I "ran" a 10k at 375lbs

Start now...

^^^ You are a freakin' ROCKSTAR!! :):):)

To the OP....

Just start! Google proper running form to reduce the chance of injury and get out there and enjoy!

I completed the program when I was a pack per day smoker! I've since quit, but it doesn't matter what your 'obstacles' are. Just do it. :)

Our bodies are amazing and progress comes very quickly....that in itself is super motivating!! Good luck!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    You can start it now. If you're anything like me (which based on the stats you posted, you are), you'll hate your life during the running portions on the first day, but if you push through that, you'll be fine. :smile: I'm only on Week 3 now (actually doing W3D1 tonight after work), and I look forward to it. Remember that there's nothing wrong with going slow or repeating weeks or days. It takes time.

ETA: agreement with what someone else said... go slow! When you start out and while you're doing c25k, you're trying to get your stride, breathing, pace, etc. correct, not going for a personal record. Don't worry about that until you're comfortably running for extended periods of time.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Do it now!

Fun fact. If it starts to hurt your joints too much, you can just stop.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I've done Zumba a couple times. If you can do that you can surely start c25k. It starts off with walking and like 1 minute intervals of running.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I am 310lbs and I started c25k when I was 10lbs heavier. No excuses.
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    start it at any time, week 1 and 2 are easy, week 3 IMO are when things pick up. I am on week 4.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I started C25k when I was 215. Go to a run store and get fitted for shoes.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Right now.

Start lifting weights too.

Yup, right now. Get up from the computer, put on your shoes and go.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    The really good thing about C25K is there's no shame in repeating a week. If you're not ready to go to the next week in the program, it's no biggie: just repeat the week you're on until you're ready for the next level. Do the program. It's great, and you'll surprise yourself in wonderful ways.
  • Jackie_XOXOXO
    Jackie_XOXOXO Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Start now. I am 240 lbs and started the program this week. Week 1Day 1 kicked my butt. Im only on week 1 day 2 lol but its true what others have said. I jog and pace myself. Learn to breathe through the running and try to maintain the same breathing techniques as you walk. Take your time. My ankles and calves were killing me but I pushed through the pain and was soo excited to see i finsihed day 1 I have an app on my phone. So I plug in Pandora and my app instructs me when to walk and when to jog. Good luck,
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Wednesday 3:37 PM.

No seriously... like right now. You wanted an answer to when to start...

Oh but you are worried? C25K is an awesome program and wish I had known about it when I started. When I started running I was 325 pounds. I am now 227. Running can be good for you as long as you listen to your body and follow a plan.

Oh crap... You're late. It's now 3:39 and didn't mean to hold you up.

Enjoy your run!
  • MamaCass30
    MamaCass30 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Too heavy?

I "ran" a 10k at 375lbs

Start now...

I'm pretty sure everything after this poster is obsolete! Seriously? Look at those stats and what he accomplished! Get it done!
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Too heavy?

I "ran" a 10k at 375lbs

Start now...

w0rd. I was going to say "NOW" was the right answer. I did all of my 6 half marathons and a 10k over 200 lbs. I don't regret a one of them.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Start it now. No excuses.