Smoothie ideas?

Options
I want to try to start making smoothies for breakfast (I keep breakfast at 300 calories or less). Any ideas for the best smoothie combos? Also, should I be getting frozen fruit instead of fresh? I have read that the frozen fruit works better because you have to add less ice, it keeps a lot longer, and as long as you make sure that the ingredient is only fruit then the nutrition is no different than fresh fruit.

Replies

• LindsNW05
    LindsNW05 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love smoothies, cold and tasty. The way I make mine is orange juice ( I also use Cuties Tangerine juice or their Tangerine,Orange, Pineapple juice), frozen fruit mix ( it has strawberries, mango, peach, and pineapple), vanilla yogurt, a banana, and a little bit of stevia. Really tasty! You can pretty much put anything you want in there, I've seen people put spinach and shredded carrot with the fruit. Just go with what taste good to you.
  • catolerico
    catolerico Posts: 25
    Options
    I like a mix of 1 cup frozen berries (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries), 1.5 cups vanilla almond milk and a scoop of chocolate protein powder. It's about 360 calories but you could cut back to half a scoop of protein powder and a cup of almond milk to get under your goal.

I like frozen fruit better than fresh. Keeps everything nice and cold and you can buy a large bag of it for way less than it would cost to buy all the fruit individually.
  • tarapeters13
    Options
    A really good one is banana, spinach, a little bit of vanilla greek yogurt, and all natural peanut butter with some ice. It's pretty thick and filling, and a can't even taste the spinach.
  • karmabear06
    karmabear06 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My favorite smoothie is my peanut butter banana after workout smoothie. 1 cup almond milk, 1 scoop protien powder, 2 bananas (after I've frozen them), 2 T reduced fat peanut butter, a little bit of honey and cinnamon. Really smoothies can be very simple you just have to play with them. My sister in law makes one with frozen kale (or spinach), strawberries, orange juice, a tad bit of water and Stevia. I can't seem to make hers quite as good so it's a real treat when I visit and she makes it for me :)
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My go to smoothie is 2-3 handfuls of spinach, 12-16 oz of unsweetened almond milk, 1/3 cu of frozen blueberries and 1/2 banana. I don't add ice since the blueberries are frozen.

I buy some fruit frozen because it keeps for longer. You can even freeze bananas - just take the peel off and throw them in a ziploc bag.