Calorie goal for Hypothyroid?

Options
Squamation
Squamation Posts: 522 Member
I'm 25 and I've been hypothyroid for 12 years. I have never been extremely overweight, but I have found that for me to get rid of any unwanted fat I have to cut calories more than most people, and exercise harder.

I was in my best shape Feb of 2012 (125lbs 25% body fat) and then found out I was pregnant. I had my second son in Nov. 2012 and started exercising again Jan. 1. 2013.

My first two months (Jan, Feb) I was eating 1,200 calories while doing modest exercise and was seeing consistent results.
My 3rd month (March) I was eating 1,200 calories and started Insanity (moderate/intense workout) and continued seeing results.
My 4th month (April), I ate 1,200 calories and finished Insanity (intense workout) and had ZERO results.

No weight/measurement/body fat change from April to May.

So after looking around I decided to up my calories to 1,300 and started Les Mills Body Pump (at home). It's too soon to know if this change will get me off the plateau I seem to be on, but I was wondering:

If you have a hypothyroid / hypothyroidism what is your calorie goal and what made you decide that number? Is it lower than most peoples? The same? Higher?

My thyroid numbers are not currently right (do not ask what they are as that is not important, they're off from what they should be) but my endocrinologist and I are adjusting dosage again.

Replies

• Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Depending on the plan I'm following at the time, I use the recommended calories and it works for me. I lost the bulk of my weight with alternate day fasting and used exactly what the calculator on that website gave me. Now I'm doing 5:2 for maintenance, and I'm using the standard 2000/500 numbers. Those are netting me a very slow loss, which I'm good with since I'm maintaining but have a few vanity pounds I "could" stand to lose.

I'm also 40 years old, and started dieting before my diagnoses and lost better before I was medicated than afterward. I may be an anomaly though. My labs are all good now, though, on a lowish dose of Synthroid.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Squa,
    Since you said you're adjusting your meds, it's going to be kind of a tricky problem.

In the most simple terms, if you're not right yet; then your TDEE values could be way different (lower) then the norm.

Thyroid hormones play a big part in overall metabolism, so getting that fixed first is probably the best idea.
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Ok, here's the deal.

If your thyroid is UNDER CONTROL and your numbers are right, then you are going to be able to lose weight like any other normal person would.

I am very glad to read that you're working with your doc - that's your #1 goal right now - get your meds adjusted so that your TSH is in check.

I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease (also hypo) and was diagnosed 8 years ago. When my TSH is NOT between 1-2, then I can't lose weight no matter how many calories I do or do not consume. Currently my TSH is around 1.2, and I'm eating 1650 per day plus exercising 6-7/days a week and I've lost 25 lbs in about 3 months. I'm just using TDEE minus 20% like everyone else :)

Thyroid disease CAN make it difficult to lose weight, yes...but if your disease is controlled it shouldn't hinder you at all :)

Good luck!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Despite my numbers being pretty good with medication, I find that I need to eat 10-15% less than the "average" recommended by MFP in order to reliably lose weight. Not sure if that's due to thyroid, other medications or just my personal metabolism, but trial and error is the only way to really know. Of course, when you have a lot to lose, you have a lot of room for error. Closer to goal, it gets harder.
  • scottishsenorita
    Options
    If I stick to 1400 and don't 'formally' exercise then I can lost 1/2 lb a week. If I exercise I stay the same. Any less I stay the same and if I eat more than 1600 for a week I will gain a lb. 1500 seems to be my limit for maintaining but MFP suggests I eat 1600 to maintain. I ignore it as experience has shown me that I need less

x
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, trial and error are going to be the way to go unless you can get a BodPod test (or similar) done to test your true BMR. I just upped my goal and started lifting to see if I get better results that way. I assume that regardless of calories or choice of exercise, being cognizant of protein intake is going to be key as it is easy to be low on protein when low on calories. Muscle mass is our friend, as we know that muscle burns more calories than fat does.

BTW... there's a hypothyroid group on here that you can post your question in to get more views from fellow hypos.
  • lacrirozi
    lacrirozi Posts: 7
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and my goal is currently 1000. It was 1200 a little while ago, but I like challenges.
    My problem is I don't have any medication (because I moved to a different country and my doctor here doesn't take me seriously, diagnose or not), but I am still seeing progress. I don't have a scale but last time I checked, I weighed 5 pounds less than before Christmas 2012. 5 pounds is a lot to me, I keep telling myself "WOW!", even though it's not actually that much. This keeps me patient and motivated :)
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies.

I didn't think to look for Hypothyroid group- but I will now!
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Im in the same boat, I actually have a dr appointment tomorrow because I believe my current medication is doing me no justice. Yes it says 6lbs lost but sometimes I dont even know if that is true because I see the scale climb so often, it is very demotivating. I jump around between a net of 1200 and 1400. I do not know what works for me yet. I think hanging down near the 1200 would be better for me though. I was eating even less than that, around net of 700-1000 and did see the scale go down for a week or so, but then start climbing back up again. It is really hard to say what amount of calories I need.
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    You need to eat at least 1,200 calories. I have raised my calories, lowered them, and tried everything I can, and I do not lose weight. Saw my doctor last week, and she upped my meds, so we'll see how it goes. I would rather eat enough food and be happy and carry these extra few pounds. I don't have a lot to lose, but I'd love to lose these last 5-10lbs. I am eating 1,800 right now. I am very active and need the fuel or I wouldn't make it through my workouts or tennis sessions. I read an article suggesting hypothyroid patients should on average subtract 10% from your calorie estimates. I have Hashimotos by the way. So my number (1,800) is based on a calculation I found for thyroid people. I have lost weight eating 1000 calories or less many times in the past, and I was miserable and tired all the time, and hungry all the time. I will never do that again. Plus I packed the weight back on as soon as I started eating like a human again. Make sure to eat enough so you have the energy and strength to exercise.

Ok enough rambling. You just need to experiment til you find what works for you. I am still experimenting almost 2 years since being diagnosed. I am not giving up!!!!!
  • loriepaulin
    loriepaulin Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I talked to my Endo and she told me that I should net @1200 for my calories. I was losing at the range and she told me if I have some days under 1200 that's okay as well just not every day. Some days I eat more then others so it all pans out for the week. I am trying to lose the last 15pds right now for my goal and it's a struggle! :D

Feel free to friend request me if we aren't already friends!