Before doing the gastric bypass...ADVICE

Options
YamRector
YamRector Posts: 74 Member
Hello,
I am getting ready to do a gastric bypass...I am dieting for years and I can't make it, so my doctors recommended the surgery and I was OK with it.
BUT reading about it made me very scare...the liquid diet before the surgery, the liquid and puree diet after the surgery for months, I don't know if I can make it.
Scare me the dumping, not to be able again to eat any sugar or not to drink and eat together (I choked otherwise)...I am scared
Someone has an advice for me? I am very confuse, as they say here: not to eat less than 1200 calories, but after doing this surgery for months you need to eat so much less...so I don't know.
HELP!
Yam

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Ask your dr to recommend some support groups or online chat sites so you can discuss this with people who have had your experience.

The bottom line is that it's not going to be easy. The surgery is not an easy way out.
  • iwillbetinytea
    iwillbetinytea Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. There are so many things that g.b. does not help (you get sagging skin, doesn't actually stop the bad eating habits for a start).

What do you mean by you can't make it?
  • YamRector
    Options
    I mean that I tried so many diets and supporting groups and I loose and gain back and fail time after time...on the long run I just fail. :brokenheart:
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I have known about 8 people in my life who have had this surgery. They always get the weight back on eventually. It has only been a temporary fix for all of them.
  • maxinecc
    maxinecc Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    you need to do lots of research before you opt for surgery. All surgery does is help you lose the excess weight but it's up to you to keep it of by healthy eating and exercise.

It is possible to regain all the weight but I am 6 years post op and have managed to maintain a 174lb weight loss.

It's a struggle everyday, I have to be accountable for what I eat or I will gain the weight back and I am not going back to the weight I was before.

I don't know where you are from but get yourself to a support group and get advise from people who have had the surgery, not those who have just read about it.

try this website for lots of good advise

www.wlsinfo.org,uk
  • YamRector
    Options
    Thanks!
  • JessicaDumont2
    JessicaDumont2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My mom had gastric bypass about 6 years back and it has been amazing.

I remember every morning, her exercising and being active, she would also eat healthy, but still weighed around 270 or more for years. Everything she tried never worked.

She got gastric bypass and sure, she had to give up some things, but it was worth it to her. The hard part is keeping the weight off, but that just means not over eating. And learning portions.

She got down to 150lbs and can even fit in some of my clothes now. :) she does have a little but of saggy skin, but with how big she was, you can expect that. But she does still workout, she never gave that up.
    She is truly happy now and has more energy than she ever had before.

Don't let us tell you what is wrong or right for you. It's your choice. :)
  • 123dmc
    123dmc Posts: 13
    Options
    I have known about 8 people in my life who have had this surgery. They always get the weight back on eventually. It has only been a temporary fix for all of them.

I have 2 family friends who have done this and the same thing -- the weight came back on. It's treating the symptom, not the disease.

Have you read any of Geneen Roth's books? Go to your local library and check some out. She has amazing personal insight about compulsive eating.

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide is right for YOU. Hugs.
  • jenstanley13
    jenstanley13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have had two family members that have had the gastric bypass and it has ruined both of their lives. My sister is the first one to tell anyone that asks that being skinny is not worth all of the gastric system problems she has now, the problems of the surgery led both my siblings to drugs between pain from side effects and needing an escape from their world once they realized being skinny was not going to fix all the other problems in their life. My brother overdosed on drugs almost a year ago leaving two beautiful young ladies fatherless and to make his death that much harder was the fact that he was so malnutritioned that we could not donate any of his organs to save another life. I may have a very biased view (and I do know at least one person who had a successful bypass which is great for her) but I personally think the gastric bypass should be outlawed...I have personally seen it ruin more lives (other than my siblings) than I have seen it help.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    The surgery forces you to stop eating so much by punishing you for doing so. It's a surgical version of someone slapping you every time you eat too much. It doesn't help with any mental issues you have involving food. It won't teach you to eat properly. If you are going to die much sooner because of morbid obesity, if you have Type II diabetes, if your mobility is seriously impaired I'd say "Go for it". If not, I'd suggest working with a competent counselor and really working hard on the problem.

The surgery is not an easy fix, if that's what your brain is telling you. Unless my life was in serious danger there's no way I'd do it.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    This is your choice and non of us should either criticize or tell you what or what not to do. You will find alot of people who do that here. You came here to ask about advice for your surgery and I hope you can find it. I have also known people who has had the surgery successfully. Some people fail, and gain weight back again, but I can guarantee that many many people gain weight after losing weight the MFP way too. In other words, do what is right for you and hopefully you can find support from people who has been through the same thing.

good luck
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options

...The hard part is keeping the weight off, but that just means not over eating. And learning portions...

But isn't this ^^ a basic root of losing weight even without surgery?
  • nicolecassandra
    Options
    I mean that I tried so many diets and supporting groups and I loose and gain back and fail time after time...on the long run I just fail. :brokenheart:

I'd advise to think about it over and over, it may help you reduce weight but there are risks and complications after the surgery. Like they said, there are successful, some failed. But it will still be your choice. Just be prepared for liquid diet before and after surgery. :) it'd take about three to four months after surgery to go back to your normal healthy diet.
  • GrammyPammy57
    Options
    I had my Gastric Bypass 3 months ago. It is hard work, but to me it has been worth every minute of trouble. I am down 35 lbs since surgery. I did have some issues with restriction of the opening, but by backing off the stage 4 foods and eating the stage 3 stuff a little longer, it has resolved itself. I even had some steak the other night. Yummy! You will get dumping syndrome once in a while as you learn what you body can eat and what it can't, but mostly you just have to remember to eat slowly, chew well, and follow the instructions the doctors give you. If you are having second thoughts, you should wait until you are fully committed, as it is a lifestyle change for sure. I am 55 years old, and weigh under 200 lbs for the first time in 25 years. My knees no longer hurt, my energy level has doubled, and I can keep up with the grandkids. I wish I had done this years ago.:happy:
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    It's been almost 5 years since my gastric bypass surgery. It saved my life and was absolutely the right choice for me. I've lost and kept off 200 pounds. No way in hell I could have done that without my tool. I've had no complications and no regrets. Life is great again.

Do your research and make the best decision for YOU. Good luck.
  • PiCkLeLuV
    PiCkLeLuV Posts: 274
    Options
    I know a few people who have had it done and ultimately put the weight back on. The bad thing is, junk food tastes just as good after surgery as it does before. Do you think the surgery will give you the willpower to not eat those foods once it's done?
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    obesityhelp.org will help a lot too

or check out the GB group on here,

i will say , its not a guarantee..

almost 1/2 gain most if not all back long term, what is your doctors follow up plan, you need support after the surgery, just like with ANY weight loss plan..

is it that you cant stick to it ? or are there other issues??

had mine in 2003 , obviously i am on here for a reason..
    hit me up.
  • kelstinson
    kelstinson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just had sleeve gastrectomy 4 days ago. So far, very happy. I was worried about the pre-diet as well; but I was determined, and it was not that bad. I just don't ever like shakes anyway, so those protein shakes scared me, but I'm doing it--no choice now! I was also worried about the pain of surgery, complications, etc. etc, etc. Well, I can truly say it has been very good. The first few hours out of surgery I had some extreme pain between my breasts, which I later found out was just gas and inflammation. Other than that, the pain has been minimal--no nausea or vomiting, no dizziness and I feel relatively strong.

BTW I lost 8-1/2 pounds on the pre-diet. I am not weighing myself until 1 week out because of all the fluids they pumped into me in the hospital. I already walked 1/2 mile today, and like I said, feel strong. Taking it easy on the couch but not really much pain/discomfort. Hard to get used to not lifting (no more than 15 lbs for several months). Wishing I could eat just a little something, but I know drinking is the only way to go now. I'll be happy for the next stage, which I understand includes pureed foods like Coco-Wheats (ummm).

One more thing. My taste buds have changed. Not sure if they will adjust again later, but right now, everything tastes strange. Could be anesthesia possibly, but I've heard it can happen.

I started weight loss and exercise in 2007. Lost 96 lbs and kept it off and on off and on until recently when I have been gaining it back. I feel like I needed a restart. I'm hoping that once I get to the weight I want, I'll be able to maintain like a normal person. Love exercise and hoping that can be my new obsession. Kellyinhope.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    It is all what you make of it. My dad and my brother both had gastric bypass about 10 years ago. Initially they did quite well and got skinny. Not fit, skinny, because they let the surgery do all the work. Both ended up with ulcers in the short run (and are now both on daily prescription meds for that). In the long run my brother ended up having to have his gall bladder removed a couple of years ago, and my dad had his out in February.

Both relied on the surgery to do the work, but the catch is that eventually your stomach pouch does stretch to re-accommodate normal portions of food. So when you go back to eating crap, and you've never gotten into fitness, the inevitable happens: you gain weight. Granted, neither is as big as before, but they're close. Kind of sad considering how hard the Pre- and post-op work is, plus all the risk and money.

If you use it as a tool and not a crutch, it can be a good thing. You still have to learn about healthy eating and fitness, or it'll be a really expensive and risky short-term fix. So keep that in mind as you make your final decision.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Three women that I am acquainted with have had weight loss surgery. One had success for several years after, two did not. I don't know if the one is still successful as I have moved away from that city. One of the unsuccessful patients told me that she figured out ways to eat what she wanted. She called it grazing - by having a small amount many times a day she gained back over her starting weight.

If you can't stay on the pre-surgery diet, will you be able to stay on the post-surgery diet? You should be cautious as this is major surgery with all its possible complications. If you will stay with the post-surgery counseling and eating plan you may be a fantastic success.

Whatever you do, follow your instincts about the topic. Best wishes to you whatever you decide.

Edited to remove a stray apostrophe!