To Carb or Not to carb...that is the question.....

Options
Well, I was wondering what the general consensus was on carbohydrates!! I eat alot of the healthy carbs...i.e. high fiber wheat bread, high fiber low carb tortillas, different types of beans, etc.....As I was reading about the diabetic diet and realized i eat ALOT of carbs...even though they are healthy ones!....Do you think it is worth it to cut out more carbs???........confused and overwhelmed!!! snack ideas...meal ideas for easy convenient no carb plans????? thanks :)

Replies

• roromclarty
    Options
    Well, I was wondering what the general consensus was on carbohydrates!! I eat alot of the healthy carbs...i.e. high fiber wheat bread, high fiber low carb tortillas, different types of beans, etc.....As I was reading about the diabetic diet and realized i eat ALOT of carbs...even though they are healthy ones!....Do you think it is worth it to cut out more carbs???........confused and overwhelmed!!! snack ideas...meal ideas for easy convenient no carb plans????? thanks :)
  • chelsey787
    chelsey787 Posts: 261
    Options
    well, coming from a girl whose favorite food group would be the lovely carbohydrates, i would say NO! haha.... i think as long as you're in your allotted carb goal for the day you should be fine. i'm not a big fan of cutting back on things i absolutely adore because i end up craving it more and binge :angry:

if it's not keeping you from losing weight, i would not worry about it.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Yeah - I could not cut out the carbs if my life depended on it! Mostly because carbs tend to be the cheapest food group and we eat on a strict budget!

For those of you who have the option :wink: I don't (from my limited knowledge of the subject...) think it is healthy to completely cut out a food group from your diet (unless it is allergy related etc).

(Are you diabetic? Because I dont have any idea about diabetic intake needs...)
  • brockster
    brockster Posts: 12
    Options
    hi there carbs are very important to your body as thay are the main energy source for your muscles low carb dieting does work to a dagree but haveing a low carb diet has an effect on your brain as it slows your mental fucntions down its a good idea to have some carbs with most of your meals during the day but taper of the carbs from about 3oclock if you are guna eat carbs you should always eat protien aswel protien slows the carb digestion downkeeping you isulin levels normal,good carb foods are brown rice,oatmeal, veges stay clear of most other carb types such as whole grain bread even tho alot of people say its a good carb source whole grain bread still turns to gloucose very fast
  • AJneuro
    AJneuro Posts: 33
    Options
    I have my doctorate in neuropsych and from this perspective, don't cut your carbs! The brain's only source of energy comes form carbs and the brain itself needs a minimum of 150g per day just to function optimally!
  • kittybellenir
    kittybellenir Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I hope this helps, speaking from experience, I cut carbs completly no carbs at all, not even fruit, and this was my experience, I moved slow, my speech slurred, my thought process was slow, people would have to remind me of the question in the middle of me thinking of an answer, I was irratable(sp?), agitated all of the time, and I shook constantly, I also felt horrible all day. Once I added in my good carbs, fruit, whole grains, I felt better and all of the above went away
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Use the ratio or Carbs/Protein/Fat that this site gives you.

A healthy calorie intake should consist of the calories you need to cover BMR, activities, digesting, etc. You will be eating slightly less than this if you want to lose weight.

After that:
    20 to 30% of your calories should come from Protein. You should eat more Protein if your breaking down your body thru strength training or exercising. Each gram of Protein is about 3 calories.
    40 to 50% of your calories should come from carbs. Each gram of Carbohydrate is about 5 calories.
    30% of your calories should come from Fat. Each gram of Fat is about 9 calories.

You NEED all three. If your consistently high in one category, try switching your food to cover another (ie. Low protein and High in fat, eat more lean meats such as chicken vice pork).

If you cut out carbs, your going to have to make up your calories, and one cannot live on Tuna alone. You will end up getting fat included as well, and I am a FIRM believer that we shouldnt touch foods higher than 30% fat!
  • roromclarty
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback buddies!!! I just need to stay consistent with diet and excerise!! I guess I am just looking for that something extra extra to help me lose weight even faster!! I want to get into a bathing suit without shame by the end of summer ATLEAST!!!! :)
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback buddies!!! I just need to stay consistent with diet and excerise!! I guess I am just looking for that something extra extra to help me lose weight even faster!! I want to get into a bathing suit without shame by the end of summer ATLEAST!!!! :)

You hit the nail on the head... STAY consistent!

There is no "Extra" help. You cheat and you will get quick results, but not long term results.
  • roromclarty
    Options
    70811.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter