Getting worse at running?

Options
lola8403
lola8403 Posts: 25 Member
I started running in January of this year doing c25K. I had two weeks left of the program when I got sick. For over a week I was unable to go out and ever since then I've not been able to run what i was running before. Today I even tried going back a week from where I was before I got sick and STILL couldn't run everything I was supposed to.

Is this normal? It's been super frustrating that I was supposed to be finished with the program by now and that now I feel like I'm moving backward.

Replies

• oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a break. It may take a bit to get back into the swing of things. The important thing is to keep trying!
    Good luck :)
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I always experience a pretty hardcore set back after I get sick.. just move back as far as you need and don't give up! I know it's frustrating bc you already have done it before but your body is telling you it's still healing and you would be set back a little bc of the week off w/o being sick.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I always experience a pretty hardcore set back after I get sick.. just move back as far as you need and don't give up! I know it's frustrating bc you already have done it before but your body is telling you it's still healing and you would be set back a little bc of the week off w/o being sick.

^^^This
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    If you're totally new to running (i.e. running for less than a year on a consistent schedule) then it doesn't take much to "lose" that muscle memory. I'd just begin the program over again, chances are you'll be faster than before and that's always a nice thing!
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this - I'd done week 2 twice & now I have a bad head cold. Was wondering if I'd have to start at the beginning again when I feel better :ohwell: Oh well........ looks as if I will
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're still not fully recovered from being sick? I don't think a week off would be the reason for stalling. I say just keep at it and don't let frustration impede your progress any further. Are you preparing for a race or something?
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 3 years now and taking a week off does make a difference (more so earlier in your running "career"), especially if your body was working overtime to fight the sickness. The good news is that it will come back, just keep pickin them up and layin them down.
  • lola8403
    Options
    Maybe you're still not fully recovered from being sick? I don't think a week off would be the reason for stalling. I say just keep at it and don't let frustration impede your progress any further. Are you preparing for a race or something?

I have a couple 5k races coming up and hoping for my first half in january. (the half actually is what i'm the most worried about :) )
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Being sick "ruins" me too :(

Go back as far as you need to in the program, or do what you can of the last two weeks (add as much walking as you need) and then repeat them until you get them right!

Lots of things cause setbacks in running. This is just your first one, welcome to the running world :)
  • alfmaster
    alfmaster Posts: 29
    Options
    You don't necessarily need to start from the beginning but you will need to take a step back to regain what you have lost. I missed three weeks recently due to the flu and it took me two weeks just to get close to the pace I had run at a half marathon just prior to my illness.

Here is a great article on going back out after an extended illness: http://www.runnersworld.com/health/how-get-back-track-after-flu.

Just don't get discouraged by the setback and expect that your pace will be slower than before until you regain that fitness.
  • dpollet2
    dpollet2 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Getting sick is a huge tax on your body, and your immune system is probably still recovering. I would count your total recovery in months if you had something really nasty. Since I have asthma a mild cold would sometimes effect me for weeks after all my symptoms were gone. Take it easy and listen to your body for awhile.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    A half in January! That's 8 months away!

You've got it, no worries. For a half marathon you should find a solid training program online that is 16 or so weeks long, and until then I would just work on getting to the point where you do 3 or 4 runs a week that are 3 or 4 miles, and then maybe in July/ early August take the distance up to 6-8 miles just once a week, adding just one mile a week. Then you will be in a great place to START training for the half around September.

When you are doing the half training, make sure you find a program that incorporates speed drills and interval work and make sure you set your paces appropriately for rest and recovery days - think sloooow.

Feel free to friend me or message me, I have some websites that have training programs and also pace calculators so you know what a recovery pace is for you.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options

I have a couple 5k races coming up and hoping for my first half in january. (the half actually is what i'm the most worried about :) )

You'll be more than fine for the half in January.

Depending on what kind of illness and how long I'm down will determine where I pick up in my running program. I've been running for 6 years and I find if I get sick I often have a couple week set-back Once I get back into the groove I can usually get back on track to where I was before I was sick.

FWIW I recently was sick for the better part of 4 months and I'm finally able to get my running mojo back and increase the mileage.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

I've not had to take a break of more than 3 days since I started running last fall but the resounding response is this is normal so don't sweat it. I have a half coming up in August... good luck and keep at it!! =)
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    When I started in January, I definitely felt like I got worse before I got better. Stick with it!

I can run for an hour now without stopping :D
  • lola8403
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice. I was really starting to feel like this wasn't going to get better. Thanks again :)
  • runningbs
    runningbs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Bad news: being so new at running and taking a break that long will make it feel like you're starting all over again because your body is "trained" yet.

Good news: your body has a good memory so starting slowly getting back "on your feet" you'll get back to where you were pre sickness much faster than how long it took you when you first started out running.

Run on playette!