Runners - what's the most you would pay for a race?

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
Running is frequently touted as a cheap hobby. All you need is a pair of decent shoes and a sports bra for women, and off you go.

But if you like to enter a few races a year to motivate you (or indeed that might be your whole running raison d'etre) the costs mount up. I decided to work it out as price per km and added value.

The London Marathon costs around £35, but that's less that £1 per km, plus there's a hell of an amount of organisation and support behind it, and it includes a charity donation.

I've entered Race For Life every year since I started running. That's just £15 for a 5K or 10K, as little as £1.50 a km, and again some goes to charity. Always well worth it, and everyone's memory messages for loved ones who died from or survived cancer make me cry.

I was lucky enough to get into the The National Lottery Anniversary Run, for which I was prepared to pay £27.50 as my first and last opportunity to run through the Queen Elizabeth (formerly Olympic) Park and finish on the Olympic Stadium track. For a 5 mile race, that's about £3.44 a km. Getting pricey, but, I hope, worth it for a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

I was really excited about The Color Run coming to the UK, but at £25 for 5km, I'm not sure £5 per km is worth the coloured powder, however much fun.

I've also drawn the line at the Women's Running 10K race series. At £25 for 10km, or £2.50 per km, it's not bad, but it's a pretty basic race, though they are offering a technical tee-shirt, a "quality goody bag" and tea and cakes afterwards. Though come to think of it, I could use a new technical tee...

So what's your race entry fee limit? Is the price per distance important? And would the extras or unique opportunities tempt you to pay more?

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    It kind of depends on the distance. I paid $65USD for a half marathon this year and I'll probably sign up for a full marathon next year which is $80-90. For shorter races I don' t like paying more than $30 unless it's for a good cause. But I did pay close to $50 for a 10K in July but it's the biggest 10K in the world so I am paying more for the experience than anything. The costs sure add up when my wife & I both run a race every month.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I'm going to pay about $80 for an upcoming marathon, but the price per kilometer would be pretty reasonable. But I agree with the above poster--I'll happily shell out for the experience of certain races. That might mean doing a crazy expensive race because I want to do it with friends, or someday shelling out serious bucks to run through the Magic Kingdom. Or doing one of those strangely fascinating running cruises, where the price per km is not something I even want to think about.
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I've paid up to £40 for a marathon, £25-30 is usual for a half. I drew the line at £50 for a Spartan race though, way too much.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the Euro/dollar exchange is, but some of our races are very expensive. I hate paying over $25, but you are hard pressed to find any cheaper. My marathons were in the $80 range. And the half marathon associated with it, just a few dollars less. All my friends run it and its a very exciting day in the city, so I pony up the cash to be a part of it.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    It depends. For a 5K-10K I usually stay around $25-$30 ($40 IF it's for a good cause). For the 1/2 I did, I think I paid $50 and that was plenty. For obstacle/mud race, I knew it would be expensive so I paid $68 for the one I just did so that's about it. If they get any more than that, I generally do them and I don't do them often. I have friends that do 5K's throughout the year at $25-$30+ each (like up to 12 or more) and I just can't do that so I try to stick with no more than 3 a year
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    Depends on my bank balance at the time!!! I agree though, some races are far too pricey (although doesn't seem to stop me entering!) If I added up everything I've spent on races over the last couple of years and the cost of trainers, clothing etc....Im sure I wouldn't be as skint as I am! Cheap hobby?? Pah, don't think so! That said, have never come away from a race without a great big smile on my face and a sense of achievement - can you put a price on that? xx
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm about to pay $45 for a 5k, but I'm doing it because my DW (who is just starting to exercise) wants to do this glow in the dark run, and it costs that much. I'll pay $45 to support her. Normally I don't want to pay more than $25 for a 5k, prefer $20, but will pay more if the race is part of the race series I'm doing. But $45 makes me cringe.

I've paid close to $100 for a marathon before, and someday I may be tempted pay the $266+ for the New York marathon, but that will be a one time only experience. But perhaps not, as Boston is $150 and I would way rather run Boston than New York. More to the point, I typically race about 12 times a year, and if I'm paying $25 on average that is just a little more for the whole year than New York would be alone.

We have too many good local half marathons in the $40-$50 range for me to pay more than that.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Quite honestly it depends on how well established the race is, distance, what kind of bling is being offered and what the race is being run for (i.e. most are fundraisers for something)

I normally will pay $60-$80 USD for a Half Marathon but expect a Technical shirt and a medal minimum for that price.

I haven't run anything less than a Half for a while, but would expect to pay no more than $50 USD for a 5K but again expect a T-Shirt and medal (or some other kind of bling).

I usually also get in on the early bird pricing on those to save some money.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    It seems like I paid something like $125 to run the Seattle Rock & Roll marathon, but I could be remembering that incorrectly. The full I'm doing next month was $90. It's a smaller race though. I'd pay up to $150 or so to run someplace like Vegas or Maui.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    It seems like I paid something like $125 to run the Seattle Rock & Roll marathon, but I could be remembering that incorrectly. The full I'm doing next month was $90. It's a smaller race though. I'd pay up to $150 or so to run someplace like Vegas or Maui.
    Blimey, that's harsh!

Mind you, the "Golden Bond" charity places for the London Marathon now require you to pay £100 up front, as well as oblige you to raise £2,500 or thereabouts.

I generally try to race near enough home to do in a day trip, but a bed and breakfast (which I'll need for a race in November) can add another £40 on.
  • CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    call me a material person, but it depends on the t-shirt! If its a great tech shirt, i will pay a bit more. Also, if its for charity I am happy to pay a bit more too. I have never done a marathon or half, but most of the 5 and 10k's around here are $20-40. The color runs and adventure races are a bit more and those, you sort of pay for the experience.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I paid $35 USD to run in the Color Me Rad 5k that donates to Cystic Fibrosis. Total of $70 for me and my 10 year old daughter to run our first 5Ks together. :)
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    In order to run for team in training you have to raise a TON of money. But it all goes to charity so I think it is worth the sacrifice. I raised $1500 to run a half marathon last year.
  • CivicSista
    CivicSista Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I've done Disney half marathons that are $160+
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Though come to think of it, I could use a new technical tee...

I love you for that sentence alone.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Quite honestly it depends on how well established the race is, distance, what kind of bling is being offered and what the race is being run for (i.e. most are fundraisers for something)

I normally will pay $60-$80 USD for a Half Marathon but expect a Technical shirt and a medal minimum for that price.

I haven't run anything less than a Half for a while, but would expect to pay no more than $50 USD for a 5K but again expect a T-Shirt and medal (or some other kind of bling).

I usually also get in on the early bird pricing on those to save some money.

This. The local race circuit for 5 and 10k are super reasonable, between $10 and $20CAD. Of course, these are mostly small races with crappy shirts (although the last $20 8 miler had a great shirt) and usually food afterwards. I haven't done a large scale 5 or 10k race that I have paid for (my work pays for our entry into the local marathon, I usually do the 5k). HMs are around $50-80 and like above, I expect a good shirt, don't care about the medal.
    I paid $100 to run a leg of a 17 leg relay in two weeks. The actual price per runner is a little cheaper but the extra money goes towards cabins the team rents and gas money Its an awesome race, great shirt and a really good meal afterwards (steak, lobster or vegan meal and its good).

I'm not going to lie, I'll pay pretty much whatever (I am sure that will change if we ever have a child) I only do two, at the most three large scale races a year and select ones for a reason, so chances are if I picked it, its for a reason and I am willing to pay the money.

I am also on the organizing committee for our local marathon so I have a pretty good idea of what things cost and whats a reasonable fee for what's offered.
  • alfmaster
    alfmaster Posts: 29
    Options
    I typically pay $25-$35 USD for a 5K and $70-$85 for a half marathon (Not a "Name Brand" half marathon though).

For full marathons, I tend to lean toward the "Name Brands" having run Disney ($160+) and hoping to get in via lottery into the New York City Marathon ($255) this year (If I don't get in, I have guaranteed entry for next year!) If I don't get into NY, I will probably do the Savannah Rock & Roll (currently at $115 but will go up in July to $125).
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I typically pay $25-$35 USD for a 5K and $70-$85 for a half marathon (Not a "Name Brand" half marathon though).

For full marathons, I tend to lean toward the "Name Brands" having run Disney ($160+) and hoping to get in via lottery into the New York City Marathon ($255) this year (If I don't get in, I have guaranteed entry for next year!) If I don't get into NY, I will probably do the Savannah Rock & Roll (currently at $115 but will go up in July to $125).
    I threw my name in for the NY lottery too. For most races, I try to get early bird pricing which runs between $75 and $100.

Savannah is on my bucket list, but I think the timing is off for me as I've already commited to a full in October (which I will back down to a half if I get into NY)
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Wow racing in England is cheap compared to the US! 35 pounds for a full marathon equates to like $50.

I'm signed up for a Disney 1/2 Marathon and spent $175 (112 pounds). That's the most I've spent and will spend.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    My average 5K is between $20-$75 (the highest for a mud run)

My 1/2 marathon was $79 and I am signing up for the Ragnar..which is $115...the cost of a race is so subjective..