Good Salad??? HELP!!!

Options
Hi! I'm new to this MyFitnessPal app... I am just starting my new lifestyle! Trying to make healthy food choices and all...

I am so discouraged on salad... Growing up, we didn't have veggies in our house! Definitely not salad! So, I am trying to make myself eat these healthy things! However, the salad I have bought is not very good tasting! I go to a restaurant and make salad off the salad bar and it is always so good! But the salad I buy in the stores never tastes that way!

Any suggestions???

Thanks!!!

Replies

• Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    So this is my favorite summer salad:

Spinach and baby greens, about 2 cups, enough to fill a large plate nicely but not be a mountain. This can be rough because there are practically no calories in it =)

4 medium strawberries washed and sliced

2 rings of FRESH pineapple, the canned stuff is icky

2 tbs. of walnuts

Drizzle with 2 tbs of aged balsamic vinegar. EVOO if you must.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    the restaurants probably have all the fattening stuff, thats wy its so good!, lol
    IMO , there is no point in eating a salad if you are gonna drain it in fattening stuff, might as well have what you really want instead

Here is one of my fave salads
    Grill bonless skinless chicken tenders (cut up) add black beans, corn, lime for taste and fat free honey mustard dressing. Its pretty good and it beats eating a cheeseburger and fries!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    What did you like about the salad in the restaurant? Were there any specific vegetables, toppings, or dressing that made you love it? Not all salads are created equal. The only salads I like are the ones I make myself from scratch - the prepackaged ones are often bland to me (even with dressing, but nothing beats my homemade vinaigrette).
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    this is how I make salad

1. pick a protein food or two that I want to include, e.g. tuna (usually tuna mayo, you can use light mayo if your calorie budget is quite tight), egg, chicken breast (boiled, cooled, cut into strips or chunks), cheese of some sort

2. pick salad veggies that I like, e.g. tomato, spring onion, olives, avocado (cut into chunks), lettuce

3. make a salad dressing from vinegar and/or lemon juice, plus a drizzle of olive oil, mix well

4. combine all the above ingredients in a bowl

5. eat
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    What did you like about the salad in the restaurant? Were there any specific vegetables, toppings, or dressing that made you love it? Not all salads are created equal. The only salads I like are the ones I make myself from scratch - the prepackaged ones are often bland to me (even with dressing, but nothing beats my homemade vinaigrette).

Yeah what tasted good about it? Buy those ingredients and make it at home.

I like:
    Beets
    Sprouts
    Peas
    Chickpeas
    Carrots
    Tomatoes
    Olives
    Romaine
    Spinach
    Escarole
    Cucumbers
    Sunflower Seeds
    Red Cabbage
    Olives
    Peppers
    Artichokes
    Broccoli
    Eggs
    Salmon or Tuna
    Celery
    Mushrooms
    Onions
  • lklkl5
    lklkl5 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Family Favorite

Superfood Salad

4 c. chopped kale
    1/2. c. fresh blueberries
    1 c. sliced fresh strawberries
    1/2 c. roasted almonds
    1/2 c. edamame
    1/4 c. sunflower seeds
    1/4 c. craisins
    1 c. shredded carrot

5 Tablespoons Braggberry Organic Fat Free Dressing Berry Flavored (this is our favorite, 2 Tablespoons have 20 calories and no sodium) Put all ingredients in bowl and massage dressing throughout the salad. Keeps in refrigerator for days. It is great with grilled chicken on it as well. Makes 8 1 cup servings around 150 calories each. I can't access my recipe builder right now or I would give you the exact calorie count.

My kids love this and eat it as a snack! Feel free to substitute other berries or nuts as desired.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    A quick one I make that is pretty filling, fast & easy is a chicken one using the following:

1 can of Chicken packed in water (drain it first)
    1 tomatoe
    a quarter of an onion or to taste
    cilantro to taste
    serrano chile to taste for that kick
    & lemon to taste
  • JAEGAmom
    JAEGAmom Posts: 39
    Options
    The lettuce and some of the other veggies in the restaurant just taste fresher & crisper than what I have found in stores! Not sure where they get them from that they're better!

Thanks for all the advice! Will definitely be trying them!!!
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    By "Store" salads to you mean those pre wrapped - pre made ones?

That's probably the issue, I don't like those. they taste like flavorless plastic.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    The lettuce and some of the other veggies in the restaurant just taste fresher & crisper than what I have found in stores! Not sure where they get them from that they're better!

Thanks for all the advice! Will definitely be trying them!!!

I find the pre-bagged salads (such as Dole brand) not so fresh and they wilt fast. I'd recommend you buy it all separate and fresh from your grocer's produce department ~ lettuce, spinach, cucumber, red onion, peppers, tomatoes (off season I prefer the tiny cherry or grape tomatoes, they seem riper to me), etc, etc ~ whatever you like.
  • JAEGAmom
    JAEGAmom Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice... Was really hoping someone had a magic fix with the bagged salads... There is a huge shortage of time in my house! With three kids, I am never home! But, it sounds like I really need to cut fresh veggies for salad... that's what I needed to know!!! Thanks again!