Started lifting, measurements and weight went up!

Options
Ok, so here's the deal. I've been lifting for a week and a half, and I know this is no time at all in the world of lifting and fatloss, but during this time I've both gained weight (which I know happens when starting a new lifting program) AND inches! I was going to put on my tight pair of jeans this morning and they're now super tight. Like, not been this tight in months.
I know it's not possible for me to have put that much weight on this week for my jeans to be this tight, since I've been counting my calories religiously.
Has anyone else experienced this?

On a brighter note, it feels like my tummy is flatter, and I'm seing muscles (especially shoulders) that I've never seen before and I feel "harder". And stronger! :D

Replies

• ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    is your bodyfat % going up too?
  • moohffjb
    moohffjb Posts: 9
    Options
    Well, I've been using an online calculator where you basically insert your height, measurements and weight and it gives you your estimated bf%. And since both my weight and measurements have increased, yes! :( Only 0.1% though!
    But I don't think I can trust the online calculators, so I've only been using them as an estimate and to track my progress.
    I've read about muscles swelling after starting a new program. Could that be it?
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    you've probably built a little muscle (muscle is much heavier than fat) - well done you !
  • moohffjb
    Options
    Built muscle in a week and a half on a deficit? I'm new to lifting, but from what I've read on here I really don't think that's it!
    Or is it? I'm confused!
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    it is possible to put on muscle on a deficit - "newb gains" if you're new to lifting - and you're certainly getting plenty of protein, just don't expect it to last
  • moohffjb
    Options
    I see! So how long before my jeans will fit again do you reckon? :(
  • moohffjb
    Options
    Thank you for answering by the way!
  • vashnic
    vashnic Posts: 93
    Options
    Neither muscle or fat is going up that fast. :wink: Water weight, imo, from stressing your muscles. Yes, they can swell a few (or sometimes more than a few!) pounds heavier and make clothes tight.
  • moohffjb
    Options
    Yeah that seems most logical to me! So drink lots of water to make it go away, or just wait it out?
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Give it four weeks and then measure yourself and make sure you are lifting suffcient weight.
  • freebirdjones
    freebirdjones Posts: 237
    Options
    I bet its water :)
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Built muscle in a week and a half on a deficit? I'm new to lifting, but from what I've read on here I really don't think that's it!
    Or is it? I'm confused!

You haven't built enough muscle in that short of time to have your clothes fitting tight. When you start lifting, your muscles tend to hold on to more water to help repair. Give it a few more weeks and you'll start losing again.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    it is possible to put on muscle on a deficit - "newb gains" if you're new to lifting - and you're certainly getting plenty of protein, just don't expect it to last
    in a week of lifting?> lol. just no..
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Neither muscle or fat is going up that fast. :wink: Water weight, imo, from stressing your muscles. Yes, they can swell a few (or sometimes more than a few!) pounds heavier and make clothes tight.

seconded
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options

seconded

Definitely THIS.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

Hum, no! It's water retention and bloating.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    When I lift, and If I happen to eat something a smidge bad...I retain water in my abdomen and my calves...Weird I know,But once I flush it out and after a couple days my measurements go back down again.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    you've probably built a little muscle (muscle is much heavier than fat) - well done you !

go sit in the corner you are just all around wrong wrong wrong.

go look up the difference between mass vs density.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options

go sit in the corner you are just all around wrong wrong wrong.

go look up the difference between mass vs density.

It's it amazing how much people make a big deal out of something that's only marginal!

I love those "fat v muscle" pictures people post of the plastic stuff, when they do 5lbs fat v 1lb muscle.
  • Ipalavra
    Ipalavra Posts: 32
    Options

On a brighter note, it feels like my tummy is flatter, and I'm seing muscles (especially shoulders) that I've never seen before and I feel "harder". And stronger! :D

Well what seems to be the problem??? lol