Runners - what's the most you would pay for a race?

Options
2»

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    My average 5K is between $20-$75 (the highest for a mud run)

My 1/2 marathon was $79 and I am signing up for the Ragnar..which is $115...the cost of a race is so subjective..

Subjective?
  • dcone2001
    dcone2001 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just paid $80 usd for my first 5k. But it was a zombie run with obstacles and mud. Got a cheap t-shirt and a cool dog tag chain. I found out about it late so it was more expensive. They sent me a deal for $40 to run again in sept. Friends I ran with said it was the most fun they had doing a run.

Glad to hear the prices. Was disappointed the shirt wasn't a under armour type material. Is that what u consider a technical shirt?
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

My 1/2 marathon was $79 and I am signing up for the Ragnar..which is $115...the cost of a race is so subjective..

Subjective?

Sorry..what I meant its subjective to the person paying..some people are willing to pay a bit more..others arent..I try to do 1 race a month...and I have found 2 virtual runs...both only $20 one has a tshirt..the other a medal..so pretty cool..
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure for me that price doesn't matter if it's something I want to run. Luckily, I only want to run races in the $50 or less range with a few in the $50-$100 range. I do get the price per K/mile but don't forget the swag and the cause...it plays a part too.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Subjective?

Sorry..what I meant its subjective to the person paying..some people are willing to pay a bit more..others arent..I try to do 1 race a month...and I have found 2 virtual runs...both only $20 one has a tshirt..the other a medal..so pretty cool..

I just wasn't sure where you were going with that but yeah, exactly.
  • Amie_Girl
    Amie_Girl Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I would never pay to run. I would only get paid to run.
  • lisahewitt22
    lisahewitt22 Posts: 102
    Options
    Really want to do the color run when it comes around again. Not sure of the price but I'd say its around $50?
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I've done Disney half marathons that are $160+

I've done this one too. And a half-marathon that was a decent amount of money. Paid $90 for the half-marathon I'm doing next weekend (18th).
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I regularly pay between $20-70 CAD per race, usually never more than that and I have signed up for races that are 5km - 21.1km. Though I didn't get to run my half marathon due to having an injury that prevented me from training for it >:(
  • CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm about to pay $45 for a 5k, but I'm doing it because my DW (who is just starting to exercise) wants to do this glow in the dark run, and it costs that much. I'll pay $45 to support her. Normally I don't want to pay more than $25 for a 5k, prefer $20, but will pay more if the race is part of the race series I'm doing. But $45 makes me cringe.

I've paid close to $100 for a marathon before, and someday I may be tempted pay the $266+ for the New York marathon, but that will be a one time only experience. But perhaps not, as Boston is $150 and I would way rather run Boston than New York. More to the point, I typically race about 12 times a year, and if I'm paying $25 on average that is just a little more for the whole year than New York would be alone.

We have too many good local half marathons in the $40-$50 range for me to pay more than that.

If you are in NY, and join NYRR and do their 9+1 program, where you run any 9 races all year, plus volunteer at 1, they will pay your entry fee to the maraton. Just a thought. Good Luck!