Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Chia seeds

glorivas
glorivas Posts: 10 Member
Can anyone give me any feedback on chia seeds, I hear that they can help curb sugar cravings.

Thanks!

-G

Replies

• lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    I've actually never heard that... Endurance athletes use them to fuel long-duration training and events, and they are a plant-based source of protein. Some people say that they make them feel full longer, maybe that helps with sugar cravings.

The texture is... odd to me. I know people who just throw a handful of seeds in their mouth and eat them, some that mix into coffee to turn them into a jelly, and some that put in cereal/ salad/ oatmeal to hide the taste and mask the texture. They are easily available from Amazon and certainly good for you, no reason not to try them.
  • glorivas
    Thank you for your feedback Liz. Perhaps taking them before a work-out or before dinner will be ideal for me. May not curb my sugar cravings but I can definitely benefit if they aid in making me feel full and energized. Going to try them!
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    they give me a really bad stomach ache
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    The good news about the side effects is that they are minor in nature and are simple to treat and manage. Since knowledge is power, it is in your best interest to be on the lookout for these side effects if you are taking chia seeds. It should give you peace of mind that the history of chia seeds goes back thousands of years to the earliest documented history of mankind. In short, chia seeds are relatively safe because people have been using them without ill effect for a long time. In fact, the earliest known utilization of this dietary supplement was to boost endurance in early humans! Despite the relative safety of consuming these chia seeds, it is always a good idea—and this applies to any other supplements you may consider taking—to first consult your doctor prior to actually using them.

In terms of side effects, the use of chia seeds can generally be grouped into good side effects (as in the ones you want that are the reason you are taking chia seeds in the first place) and negative side effects, which are minor, but still not desirable. First are the good side effects.

People have been using chia seeds for generations and generations due to the fact that they are an amazing source of protein, antioxidants, boron, calcium, iron and even essential fatty acids (these are the so-called good fats). It is interesting to note that chia seeds feature double the quantity of protein in many other seeds and grains, and the antioxidant levels in chia seeds are also notably high, three times the quantity found in blueberries (a traditionally highly rated source of antioxidants). In addition, the amount of calcium in chia seeds is double that in a banana, and the amount of iron is also triple that in spinach.

As you can see, it is with good reason that chia seeds have been used by people for thousands of years: There are magnificent health benefits. However, this is just one side of the coin, as chia seeds also have negative side effects. They are not serious, but are undesirable. At this time, no scientific research links any major side effects with the consumption of chia seeds, which is a good thing!

Side Effects of Chia Seeds

For starters, increased gas (flatulence) is one of the most widely reported side effects of consuming chia seeds. While this is obviously embarrassing and will probably put a slight dent into your social life, it is not harmful in any way, shape or form. Furthermore, this increased tendency for a person to break wind while taking chia seeds usually only occurs when the individual takes the seeds in large quantities. In other words, if you are moderate in your chia seeds consumption, you should have nothing to worry about in the way of passing gas! One theory states that it is the considerable content of fiber in the seeds that creates this unwanted side effect of flatulence.

If you have an allergy to mustard seeds, you might want to think twice before you start to consume chia seeds. According to the research, people who have preexisting allergies to mustard seeds have also been observed to have unfavorable responses to these chia seeds. Anyway, it is definitely something that you can think about.

People who are taking certain medications might also benefit from thinking twice about consuming chia seeds. If you are taking medications such as blood thinners and aspirin, you might have an adverse reaction because of the relatively high content of Omega 3 in chia seeds. Omega 3 has been associated with potentially blood-thinning effects, which is why you should steer clear of chia seeds if you have been on aspirin or on blood thinners. Similarly, if you are a hemophiliac, you should also abstain from consuming these chia seeds, as should those people who are scheduled to go in for any type of surgical procedure.

Some of the chia seeds side effects you could encounter seem to also be triggered by the quantity in which they are consumed or taken. For instance, larger quantities seem to produce a greater share of these side effects of chia seeds than smaller or more moderate quantities of chia seeds. In addition to the socially embarrassing problem with flatulence mentioned above, taking larger quantities of chia seeds could potentially produce an addiction in the individual. You could always argue that being “addicted” to a natural seed is not a big problem, but everything in moderation is certainly a healthier approach.

Finally, if you are a pregnant woman, you might also want to think twice about taking chia seeds. You might want to do more than just limit your consumption of these seeds; you might want not to continue taking them altogether. It should be pointed out that tests on pregnant women have actually not been carried out with regard to the safety of chia seeds and pregnant women. However, the working theory at present is that any of the aforementioned side effects of these seeds can occur in either the pregnant woman or even the child when it is born. The point is that pregnant women should play it safe rather than sorry, especially if an unborn child is involved in the situation.

As with any supplement, it is wise to consider all the side effects of chia seeds, both good and bad, before taking them. Being informed lets you deal appropriately with any side effects that may occur.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    chia seed may lower blood pressure and the chances of heart disease. Chia seed is also a good source of soluble fiber and essential omega 3 fatty acids. Each of those benefits, however, can have its drawbacks.

Read more: Side Effects of Chia Seeds | eHow http://www.ehow.com/about_5154942_side-effects-chia-seeds.html#ixzz2SkMHBpuM
  • glorivas
    Thank you for your informative reply, Melinda! Good to know. :-)
  • glorivas
    Boohoo! Sorry to hear that, h9dbl...
  • lollysw
    lollysw Posts: 2 Member
    I had a Hysterectomy in Oct 2012 and bowels have not been right. Dr. told me to eat Chia seeds for regularity. He only wants me to take them for 3 months, any clue why that would be the case? I am checking back in w/ him in Oct. just curious. Thanks for any insight!