Paleo/Wheat Belly/Primal Blueprint

Options
My Dr. has just recomended I changed my diet to something similar to one of those listed. I am looking for ideas for food and perhaps recipes, or just hints and tips to get started. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options
    My wife and I do mostly Paleo and keep things very simple. Lean meat with seasoning on it (salt, pepper, cajun seasoning, lemon pepper - we kind of mix it up) plus fresh steamed veggies of some kind. I'll snack on unsalted roasted almonds or pecans during the day. Boring? Yes. Easy? Yes. No need for recipes.

You can see in my diary that I do eat some things that aren't considered Paleo (oatmeal, sweet potatoes, honey, protein drink) but I try to limit that to those items only and keep the rest Paleo.
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    Options
    If you are adamant that you want recipes for any of the diets noted, there are a ton of cookbooks out there. We picked up a combination of Paleo cookbooks from those that were highly rated on Amazon and those that we saw at the bookstore that had good pictures that looked yummy. We do go back to those every once in a while, but not often. We actually found a slow cooker Paleo cookbook that we find helpful when cooking a bunch of food in advance.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I do some paleo. Honestly, of all the paleo recipes I have tried most taste blah.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    There are Primal/Paleo groups here that should have good information for you. Also, www.marksdailyapple.com is a good place to start.

Just google paleo or primal recipes online and tons of sites will come up.

I'm with TX_Aggie_Dad though, when I was doing primal I would just do a well seasoned protein paired with simple veggies. Easy schmeasy, fast and a breeze to enter in MFP.
  • TheWanderingLemon
    TheWanderingLemon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm doing paleo now and just discovered the most amazing recipe for pancakes. I've eaten them three times this week.

Serves four:

4 Bananas
    4 Eggs
    1/2 cup almond butter (peanut butter is not paleo)
    Cinnamon to taste.

Mash the bananas, whip the eggs, then combine. Add the almond butter until it's all smooth (the bananas can be a bit lumpy, don't worry about it) then fry them like you would a pancake! I grease my pan with olive oil but you could use coconut oil or even butter (that's what my recipe book said, I decided against it).

The consistency is a little chewy and if it's soft in the center that's okay. I cook them long enough that they aren't. And trust me they are GOOD. You can also top them off with a little honey, but I eat them just plain (often without the aid of a fork).

Good luck going paleo!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I think paleo-influenced and reducing carbs is a good idea. It's how I eat most of the time, very little grains.

I don't buy into the idea all wheat is evil, though.
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I don't use recipes either. I am very simple with cooking. But I like it that way. As far as tips, try cutting one thing out a week. Maybe the first week grains. So you can still have meat, veggies, fruit, nuts/seeds and dairy. See how you feel with that. For me, the first 2 weeks I didn't worry about calories. I knew some days I was probably very low and I didn't want to stress over it. Now I know I am getting a good amount of calories and am happy with that. Is your doctor suggesting this for weight loss or is there a medical reason behind this? Good Luck! I heard the first 2 weeks can be bad (they weren't for me) but you will get thru it.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am a diabetic and overweight. My Dr. believes this style of eating is beneficial to the diabetic. That is why I phrased it for all. I don't want to just go on a diet. I want to develop an eating plan for a sustainable lifestyle. I will give this type of eating at least a month and see how I feel.
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I have no doubt that if you can give it a month you will be hooked! I bet you will start to feel great after the 2nd week. Will you keep me updated? I am very excited for you and your husband! Sending you a friend request.
  • laura_7786
    laura_7786 Posts: 6
    Options
    I've heard some people talk about the paleo diet and saying they feel really hungry the first week or so, due to cutting out sugar I imagine? (I've not tried the diet myself so I can't say for sure) But after that, they feel great and so much less bloated. Good luck with it!
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I will look around for some chat groups and stuff about them. I may skip the blah recipes. I make up some good ones I will share.
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    Options
    I've heard some people talk about the paleo diet and saying they feel really hungry the first week or so, due to cutting out sugar I imagine? (I've not tried the diet myself so I can't say for sure) But after that, they feel great and so much less bloated. Good luck with it!

I find that if I'm eating like garbage for awhile and then get back to eating Paleo and lower carb, I experience horrible headaches the first week or so. I've found this to be pretty common as people cut out all of the processed food and associated sugar. Just something to be aware of. I found that drinking coffee with coconut creamer and honey helped to keep the headaches manageable (honey isn't technically Paleo according to some so keep that in mind).
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I don't buy into the idea all wheat is evil, though.

Unless you have an intolerance or an auto-immune condition :)
  • jamiemcdonald1
    Options
    www.againstallgrain.com is a great paleo/gluten free website
  • pickledginger
    pickledginger Posts: 172
    Options
    I'm doing paleo now and just discovered the most amazing recipe for pancakes. I've eaten them three times this week.

Serves four:

4 Bananas
    4 Eggs
    1/2 cup almond butter (peanut butter is not paleo)
    Cinnamon to taste.

Mash the bananas, whip the eggs, then combine. Add the almond butter until it's all smooth (the bananas can be a bit lumpy, don't worry about it) then fry them like you would a pancake! I grease my pan with olive oil but you could use coconut oil or even butter (that's what my recipe book said, I decided against it).

The consistency is a little chewy and if it's soft in the center that's okay. I cook them long enough that they aren't. And trust me they are GOOD. You can also top them off with a little honey, but I eat them just plain (often without the aid of a fork).

Good luck going paleo!
    One banana, one egg works, too. Haven't tried it with the almond butter.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,007 Member
    Options
    Why not just low/er carb?
  • pickledginger
    pickledginger Posts: 172
    Options
    There are some great paleo recipes out there, and some terrible ones. (Why should this diet be different? ;-)
    I have celiac, and have found the paleo sites helpful for cutting out gluten. Also, I am mildly diabetic, and since I cut way down on my carb intake, I have started losing weight even though I am eating more -- and a lot of it has been from the belly. It's great!
    I won't give up my chocolate, but I've found that Cavalier does some very tasty ones sweetened with stevia, which is what I use in baking now. And I have found that almond flour can make better breads and cakes than the gluten-free blends, and they don't leave me feeling logy and tired the way a carby treat will. (This cake, made with stevia instead of sugar, came out really really well: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/2758/spanish-orange-and-almond-cake.aspx)
    Substitute almond flour for the usual oats or breadcrumbs in meatloaf and meatballs, to very good effect.
    Have a hearty breakfast of eggs with mushrooms or onions or zucchini or all three, instead of homefries.
    Roll up slices of meat and/or cheese inside lettuce leaves for a portable meal.
    Use a good sharp vegetable peeler to make ribbons of zucchini or carrot. These can be sliced to noodle width and steamed, then served with spaghetti sauce, or used in a soup. I had a great meal a few weeks back with grilled salmon on top of herbed zucchini ribbons, with a vegetable medley on the side. I also have made some nice oriental noodle soup using buckwheat noodles (half an official serving per person, so maybe 20% of what a real usual serving would be) and long thin ribbons of zucchini and carrot and leek, so it was like having four kinds of noodles.
    I like to slice zucchini and/or eggpland very thin, lengthwise; roast slowly until soft and lightly browned; then use the vegetables as the noodles in lasagna. They also work for making roll-ups.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Shamlessly plugging my own blog :)

http://fridaysatamys.blogspot.co.uk/