Taking Calories in with exercise

Options
Yesterday was my first day and I was 322 under my 1200 calorie intake. I was told not to do that....would be bad later and would actually ADD fat. OK, So I got my totals today up to my 1200, but my question is....I am assuming the exercise I will do will take that down again (which is good in the end!!), so will I need to add some food again to get back up to my 1200??? Thanks for any help!!

Replies

• FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Yeah, some people say not to eat your exercise calories, but the purpose of the site is to show you how many calories you have eaned through exercise and you should eat them. the total that MFP has given you should already be at a deficit to cause weight loss. Any additional work you do means you need additional calories to stay in the healthy range! Hope this helps!
  • ranchtimeangel
    Options
    Yes, that DOES help!! Thanks so much!!
  • Garfy
    Garfy Posts: 41
    Options
    I'm in the same position as you as my daily calorie goal is 1200. Its frustrating when you don't get any time to exercise as even if you are 1 calorie under 1200, it tells you that you are not eating enough !

When I do exercise I tend to treat myself. Generally I may eat 75/80% of my exercise calories.

It's a great incentive though when you have a night out & want a drink etc - do some exercise, earn away & then drink away!
  • slcobb001
    slcobb001 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Let the program figure that out for you. Only caution is to use a secondary program or a heart rate monitor figure out how many calories you are using for a given exercise. I find that my bike riding uses less calories than MFP gives me. So I usually adjust
    those calories down to what my other programs say. It is all an estimate so I use the best figures I can to avoid overdoing it on the calories.

I agree it isn't good to under eat on calories.... It will throw you into a starving mode and you will stop losing weight and be very hungry all the time. Trust the plan! And by the way.... I used the plan and I lost 30lbs and I'm at goal weight now and on maintenance... so I'm proof it works!!!

Steven
  • Green_Chick
    Options
    Oh really! I was wondering why I've been so hungry the last few days- I wasn't eating my gym calories, thinking it was better to stick to the 1200 I was alotted! So even if I eat the gym (as it were!), I'll still lose weight as my metabolism is raised? I've been exercising pretty consistently now for the last two weeks, 4-5 times a week, a mixture of cardio and weights along with balanced meals and regular healthy snacks. I'm definitely feeling better and slightly sleeker, but the scales still aren't my friend :( which is why I've been reluctant to eat any more than the 1200!

My gym trainer thinks my sluggish metabolism is working through a reset which is taking some time to kick start- I wouldn't have been the best eater in the past, skipping meals and living on coffee. I'm now on an intense sprint interval training program which he thinks will help- we'll see this Saturday when I hit the scales again!
  • ranchtimeangel
    Options
    Wow Steven that is great!!! Congratulations on the weight loss. That is about my goal too.....maybe a little under. Its not JUSt about the weight, but to get that nice toned, firm, fit healthy body, ya know?!! Blessings!!
  • ranchtimeangel
    Options
    Good for you Green Chick!!! I think you keep on what you are doing. You know it depends on how much you have to lose also. If it is not much, it may take a bit longer. I plan on about 25 or so, but I will be doing Beach Body's Turbo Jam and I bet I need to eat a twice a day more than 1200, as I do NOT want my body to go into muscle reserve and start actually adding FAT.....Heaven forbid!! HAHA. Congrats on what you are doing and feel free to add yourself as my friend!! Blessings!
  • acstein
    acstein Posts: 55
    Options
    I have found that when I do NOT eat the exercise calories, I tend to binge eat and have more cravings. That's just me though. I'm an eater, as is the rest of my family. It's more about making healthier choices, such as the frozen fruit bar over a piece of devils food cake with homemade cream cheese icing (MY FAV!!!). Stay positive!! Also, remember that our bodies are creatures of habit. It can get used to what you eat, how much you eat, how much you exercise, how you exercise, etc. Keep changing it up. I had a trainer tell me that the best way to lose weight is, say, your calorie goal is 1500, eat 1400 for 4 days, eat 1700 for 2-3 days. It keeps your body guessing what's going to happen so it doesn't get used to a certain regime, and it also doesn't store fat thinking it has to by having a deficit all the time. I hope this helps!!! Good luck!!!
  • Green_Chick
    Options
    Some really good tips all- thanks for posting! Change of routine seems to be the key alright, and goes with what the gym guy was saying. Ohmigod, post your recipe for the homemade cream cheese icing up here and drive us all crazy! Ha ha!

Yeah, not a massive amount to lose- I'm aiming to lose around 30 pounds, but that may be too much for me as I'd be a fairly muscley, athletic build. I con't think I'll ever be a "lathe", as my partner says, but I do want to be toned and healthy! I'll certainly keep at it, as the good feeling I get from the exercise and healthy diet makes up for the poor response of my scales!

I'll stay positive indeed, and wish the same for everyone else! Good luck! x