Whats the best way to calculate your calorie intake?

Options

Replies

• honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to cut out the sugar, even in fruit. Sugar in all forms raises insulin that stores it as fat. My advice would be more protein, less sugar and carbs. Good luck!
    Is your doctor a nutritionist? I know there's some controversy on this, but fruit is natural and good for you, I see no reason to limit it. Not all doctors really know what they're talking about when it comes to nutrition and diet.
  • melaniecmajors
    melaniecmajors Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am in no way an expert but you said that MFP set you a goal calorie intake of 1330 and by looking at your diary for the last week (that's how far I've only looked) it looks like you're eating more than that. Maybe you have to restrict your eating a little bit more? I also wonder about how you log your exercise because I see that you burn something like 700 cals from exercise. I doubt that walking for an hour will burn that many calories. But like I said, I'm no expert, that's just what comes to my mind when I see this.
    Good luck :)

I agree with this. Walking for over 2.5 miles only burns 200 cals or so when I do it at a 3.0 moderate pace....If you don't have a hrm, then don't track your exercise cals and just eat at your plan.

Also, try cutting grains.
  • melaniecmajors
    melaniecmajors Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to cut out the sugar, even in fruit. Sugar in all forms raises insulin that stores it as fat. My advice would be more protein, less sugar and carbs. Good luck!
    Is your doctor a nutritionist? I know there's some controversy on this, but fruit is natural and good for you, I see no reason to limit it. Not all doctors really know what they're talking about when it comes to nutrition and diet.

This is just not true! Why would fruit be bad for you? Fruit is fine to eat but it does matter when you eat it. You should eat low GI fruits (google this) for weight loss and can eat it anytime - berries, apples, etc. - as they do not spike your insulin. Eat higher GI fruits around intense workouts, either right before (for energy) or right after (for replenishment).
  • ivyana25
    ivyana25 Posts: 76
    Options

^agree
    When i go over on sugar and i know its because of fruit i dont mind it at all.. natural sugars are good for us... But when the sugar is coming from cake, cookies or soda... That is sugar that turns into fat...
  • GingerbreadArtist
    GingerbreadArtist Posts: 212 Member
    Options

^agree
    When i go over on sugar and i know its because of fruit i dont mind it at all.. natural sugars are good for us... But when the sugar is coming from cake, cookies or soda... That is sugar that turns into fat...

^ agree.....

When carbs/sugars/grains are consumed, the body creates insulin, which is a fat storing hormone. Consuming proteins/fats/non-starchy vegetables and low GI fruits the body creates no or very little insulin, which means the fat burning mode continues. Even one small cheat - ie ONE cookie - your body will go from a fat burning mode to a fat storing mode. It's all chemistry and hormones and if one wants to lose weight, food choices must come into play. Weight loss is nearly impossible on a diet filled with sugar and grains (ie, bread).
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    When carbs/sugars/grains are consumed, the body creates insulin, which is a fat storing hormone.

protein stimulates insulin release as well...
  • papillon71
    papillon71 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am 5"5 and started at 209lbs give or take, have lost nearly 28lbs since January 4th this year. I am on a strict 1200 cal a day limit, I hardly exercise due to a back injury so very sedentary, I have lost an average of 1.6lb per week overall and lost something every week.

I increased my raw salads, veg, fruit and lean meats, I do not cheat, not even to myself, so everything I eat goes in the tracker and I refuse to go over. I don't eat take away anymore, replaced bad foods with alternative good versions.

If I was you I would reduce to 1200 a day and make sure that it's a balanced day (I aim for 300 cals breakfast, lunch and dinner and then 300 cals for snacks) I try to not have carbs late in the day too often and don't have a big dinner, my dinner is 80% vegetables.

I gained doing MFP when I tried the year before last but it's because I was cheating and not putting in all my foods and was making wrong choices (lots of empty calories)

I also now track my carbs, sugar, protein, fibre and most importantly sodium intake. Maybe try monitoring those also closely. Keep to the limits. I honestly believe if I can lose weight with zero exercise at all at this rate it's because I don't go over the 1200 a day limit, in fact I am sometimes under it as find not hungry. Good luck! Feel free to add me as a friend anyone, I post every day and my diary is open to all my friends, I am determined.
  • GingerbreadArtist
    Options
    When carbs/sugars/grains are consumed, the body creates insulin, which is a fat storing hormone.

protein stimulates insulin release as well...

True, but protein also stimulates glucagon which is an insulin countering horemone... carbs only stimulates insulin. I was married to a type 1 Diabetic for 9 years. I can guarantee that his insulin need was MUCH more when he consumed carbs/sugars than when he consumed protein/fat/vegetables.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

^agree

^ agree.....

When carbs/sugars/grains are consumed, the body creates insulin, which is a fat storing hormone. Consuming proteins/fats/non-starchy vegetables and low GI fruits the body creates no or very little insulin, which means the fat burning mode continues. Even one small cheat - ie ONE cookie - your body will go from a fat burning mode to a fat storing mode. It's all chemistry and hormones and if one wants to lose weight, food choices must come into play. Weight loss is nearly impossible on a diet filled with sugar and grains (ie, bread).

tumblr_m4w9bwaYPo1r3ty02o1_400.gif
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I say lower your carb, sugar and sodium intake, up your protein, I know I gain very quick and easy if I go over on my carbs and sodium....

^ AGREE
    Yea those are the macros you should watch... Sugar turns into fat... and Sodium makes you heavier... Protein is good because it helps you build lean muscle...

Sugar turns into fat? In a calorie deficit?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

^agree

^ agree.....

This is not what happens. If it was, I would be fat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    You are eating too much as you are overestimating your calorie burn.

I would eat to a static number of 2,000 (no eating of exercise calories back). Log all you food accurately - weigh and measure everything. After 4 week, see what your weight has done and then teak up or down according to your results.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options

about the 600kcals walking in an hour- using my pedometer i walk 10,000 + steps a day, usually burning 500+ calories. thats including my 60 mins of walkign during the week day ( 20mins to work, 20 mins back, 20 walking the dogs)

however as my exercise can vary quite a bit day to day, i put it down as sedentary then just add my exercise onto that, - so im not sure if i should add all the calories i burn from walking using my pedometer throughout the day, or just the 60 mins of walking?

You should ONLY be adding the calories burned from your 60 minutes of walking per day, not what you burn throughout the whole day. That is already accounted for in your daily calorie allowance, based on your everyday activities.

So only add exercise that is specifically exercise. (Going for a walk, or run or to the gym). Don't add what you burn just regularly walking around throughout the day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

about the 600kcals walking in an hour- using my pedometer i walk 10,000 + steps a day, usually burning 500+ calories. thats including my 60 mins of walkign during the week day ( 20mins to work, 20 mins back, 20 walking the dogs)

however as my exercise can vary quite a bit day to day, i put it down as sedentary then just add my exercise onto that, - so im not sure if i should add all the calories i burn from walking using my pedometer throughout the day, or just the 60 mins of walking?

You should ONLY be adding the calories burned from your 60 minutes of walking per day, not what you burn throughout the whole day. That is already accounted for in your daily calorie allowance, based on your everyday activities.

So only add exercise that is specifically exercise. (Going for a walk, or run or to the gym). Don't add what you burn just regularly walking around throughout the day.

^^yep.

If you want to go the 'eat your calories back' route. Set yourself at active to account for your normal day to day activity, and then only count 'extra' formal exercise in the amount you log to eat back. Also, to be conservative, only eat back about 75% of those.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options

^agree

^ agree.....

This is not what happens. If it was, I would be fat.

^Agree with Sara. Protein also spikes insulin and raised insulin does not make you store fat. Eating excess calories makes you store fat and gain weight.
  • ThatDamnRobyn
    ThatDamnRobyn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My suggestions:
    - Be careful with calories burned from exercise. If it seems too high then don't eat all the calories back. (I have a HRM but still use various websites when the number doesn't seem right.)
    - Measure food whenever possible, either with measuring cups/spoons or food scaled. You might be underestimating.
    - Drink water and get sleep... simple stuff but it matters.

Good luck!

I agree. I either use my heart rate monitor data (which is lower than, say, the treadmill screen) or I use online calculators for my calorie burn and then input less than that on MFP so that if anything, I'm underestimating my calorie burn. Better that way than to overestimate and overeat.

Also, what other people say -- measure and weigh your foods!

Finally, check out this post at Coach Calorie: http://www.coachcalorie.com/not-eating-enough-calories-to-lose-weight/
  • GingerbreadArtist
    Options
    ^Agree with Sara. Protein also spikes insulin and raised insulin does not make you store fat. Eating excess calories makes you store fat and gain weight.

Protein also stimulates glucagon which is an insulin countering horemone... carbs only stimulates insulin. LOSING weight will be VERY difficult if your body is constantly pumping insulin, which yes, is a fat storing hormone. When insulin is over-produced it will create a fat storage environment within your body, which will not help weight loss.
  • cassylee
    cassylee Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    First of all, I agree with most of what has been said.

I also struggled and gain weight even though I was exercising regularly ( 3 to 4 gym sessions a week) and eating the correct calories. It wasn't until a month ago that I found out that I was intolerant to Dairy, wheat, gluten and soy that everything that I was eating was making me sick. Since then I have change my eating plan but still doing the same amount of exercises (3 to 4 gym sessions a week) - I have lost 5 kilos or 11 pounds in about 4 weeks. I am not suggesting that you are intolerant but it is another option to consider.

Good luck.
  • GingerbreadArtist
    Options
    Hi,
    First of all, I agree with most of what has been said.

I also struggled and gain weight even though I was exercising regularly ( 3 to 4 gym sessions a week) and eating the correct calories. It wasn't until a month ago that I found out that I was intolerant to Dairy, wheat, gluten and soy that everything that I was eating was making me sick. Since then I have change my eating plan but still doing the same amount of exercises (3 to 4 gym sessions a week) - I have lost 5 kilos or 11 pounds in about 4 weeks. I am not suggesting that you are intolerant but it is another option to consider.

Good luck.

Congratulations on making dietary changes for your health! :drinker:

I too am dairy and wheat (gluten) intolerant and I feel a heck of a lot better when I do not eat those foods!

I stopped wheat almost 2 years ago. There is life afterwards and a world full of healthy real foods!

Best of luck as you continue on this new journey!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

Protein also stimulates glucagon which is an insulin countering horemone... carbs only stimulates insulin. LOSING weight will be VERY difficult if your body is constantly pumping insulin, which yes, is a fat storing hormone. When insulin is over-produced it will create a fat storage environment within your body, which will not help weight loss.

wtf.gif